shape
carat
color
clarity

How to find the Class/Cut of Diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

af1charley

Rough_Rock
I purchased a marquise shaped diamond with a GIA dossier certificate. I had the diamond set and appraised by a jeweler. Neither the appraisal or the certificate include the Class of the diamond cut or cut characteristics such pavilion angle, table angle etc. I'm happy with my purchase, but I'd like to know how good of a cut I have. Do I need to go out and spend some more money to figure this out? Please advise.

Thanks,
C. :rolleyes:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Content yourself with a stone you like or I hope you would not have bought it. A Cut Class needs to be done properly on an unset diamond, but could be done on a mounted one if the gemologist is careful about manually measuring the stone. You need a crown height percentage.

The other data on the GIA Dossier report gives you the length to width ratio although you need to calculate this from the measurements, the table percentage, the girdle thickness and the total depth. Then you will be able to do an AGA Cut Class grade.

If you are local to the Philadelphia area I'd give you the little measurement you need at no charge....Its such a big world, that its hardly likely, but if you are around my office, then no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results