shape
carat
color
clarity

How to do a candy bar

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I want a candy bar at my wedding. Is that generally considered the favor? I don''t necessarily want it to be. I''m curious where to find cheap but nice looking containers? Where do most people buy the candy? Also what is the most commonly used "plate" or container for the guests? I was thinking that you could have just generic plates, but at the same time if there is a lot of bigger candy - lollipops, licorice etc, a plate would be useless. I could get nice smaller containers that are "favor-like". Just looking for some all around advice. Thanks!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I have been to a wedding that had this. The reception was in a ballroom at a hotel overlooking the ocean. The candy bar was in the open area / hallway outside the reception. The candy was like a favor for everyone to take home. The whole thing was lovely. I cannot recall all of it, but one item was long pretzels, half of the pretzel was dipped in white or dark chocolate, and then sprinkles on some of them on top of the chocolate.
The containers were the chinese take out style in the Tiffany blue color, with the white bakery tissue. She got them from dickblick.com.

I think it would be better to have someone supervise these, or maybe have them made up ahead of time with just a few out for decoration.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At a recent wedding the table favors was a little net pouch (tied with ribbon) that was full of little assorted candies. It was very cute and gave you something to munch on while waiting for things to get started.

Bjedifish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My Fiancee and I just finished putting personalized labels bought HERE. We got our chinese take out boxes from HERE. And we are getting our candy from HERE. We are just getting a bunch of bulk candy and putting it in big jars and we will have scoops and stuff and people can help themselves. That will be our favor! Good luck! Its super fun!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Bjedifish! Are you putting the labels on the take out boxes? Where did you find your containers and scoops?

LauraTally

Rough_Rock
I have done several candy bars for weddings I planned. For one, I collected the containers from places around town like WalMart, Target, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Bed, Bath and beyond and others. I purchased the scoops at Michael''s. The scoops were like $5 for 2 but if you check the newspaper and their website you can get 40% or 50% off coupons. The favor bags were little paper bags purchased from Target in the colors of the party. I purchased alot of candy from Costco and Sams but also ordered some from http://www.nostalgiccandy.com/ and http://www.orientaltrading.com/. It''s a great thing for guests but you will end up with 30 empty vases at the end! Try to sell them to another bride in your area who might be doing a candy bar too!

Hope this helps!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
We just did a candy bar at our April 30th wedding. It was a hit! People were snacking on it all night. It was our favor as well and we provided bags for people to take some home.

We got the containers at Marshalls and Homegoods. They always have them in a range of sizes, from $7-15 depending on the size. I resold all of the jars two weeks after the wedding to another bride and made back 2/3 of what I spent on them.

I got the scoops and tongs from a local restaurant supply store.

I ordered coffee style tin-tie bags from papermart.com. I also printed out labels with our names and the date onto blue round labels I got from paper-source.com.

Candy was ordered from metrocandy.com and candywarehouse.com. I also was able to get a great deal on M&M''s right after Valentine''s day - they sell the all green bags so on Feb. 15th I bought almost 20 bags at half price. We had just under 120 guests and about 60 lbs of candy. Some kinds of candy were down to the bottom of the jars at the end of the night. Some kinds we still had a good amount left. With our crowd, chocolate and gummi candy was the most popular, and hard candy and taffy were the least popular. Overall we spent about $250 on candy, about $425 overall.

Here''s a pic of ours in action! Hope this helps!

stephboltcandybar.jpg

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Let me try again, that''s so small!

resizedcandy.jpg

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would throw my 2 cents in too-

I got the candy from numerous bulk candy sites on the web. I ordered about 10 pounds of each candy and I had 10 different kinds. If you are doing a summer wedding, I had to order cold packs which cost extra, because I live in Chicago and was ordering chocolate-everything survived and I had no issues at all. All the candy was my colors, brown and green and I added white candy in too, which was very easy to find and many sites have it color-coded as well. (Google bulk candy)

I bought the glasses from IKEA-they were good and cheap. Hobby Lobby is way too expensive for my taste. Scoops were from online and I got ribbons in brown and green that I tied on the handles. The plastic bags were purchased online and I had stickers made (online) with our monogram and date that I stuck on the bags. Each bag was put on the plates as the tables and people started digging in as soon as I told them what they were for!

I had a coordinator set mine up, she did multiple levels on the table and added my flowers from the church. People went nuts and my dad still talks about how he didn''t get any of the chocolate covered raisins!

I had extra bags and twist ties on the table. I also had labels made that said the type of candy and little tent cards that said "Please help yourself to some treats, Thanks for making our day sweet" and then our names.

I don''t have the photos on my computer so I will try to upload them later. Good luck!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 10:09:36 AM
Author: stephb0lt
That is so pretty. I like the way it is not all "flat."

I have also been to Greek weddings that had favors of pastel Jordan almonds in either three or five''s tied in netting. There is some significance to the numbers. I have seen them tied together and tied intricately, each almond individually, so that it formed sort of a flower.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
As a guest of stephb0lt''s wedding, I gotta say that this candy bar looked awesome! The way the staff set it up on different levels was really neat. Made it easy to reach all of the jars.

I personally love the idea of doing a candy bar in lieu of a standard favor alongside the dessert.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 9:56:40 AM
Author: Pink Tower

That is so pretty. I like the way it is not all ''flat.''

I have also been to Greek weddings that had favors of pastel Jordan almonds in either three or five''s tied in netting. There is some significance to the numbers. I have seen them tied together and tied intricately, each almond individually, so that it formed sort of a flower.
Thanks Pink Tower (and Clairitek). The beautiful setup was all thanks to our venue''s coordinator. We would have had it all laid out on a flat surface, but we came downstairs to the draping, multiple levels, and lighting. So wonderful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results