shape
carat
color
clarity

How to determine pricing for pre-loved...?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey kids! This should maybe go in the pre-loved forum, but I fell like it might get more traffic here.

I've got some things to list for pre-loved, but I"m at a total loss about pricing...

For instance, I've got a gold Tiffany ring that True Facets has a similar listing up for for $765, which is pretty much in the middle of the ebay listings that range from $525 to $900. But really, I just don't wear this any more (and haven't for YEARS) and would be happy to see it go to a new home for even less than that. Would it be crazy/stupid to offer it for $500? To complicate things, I don't think Tiffany offers this ring any more so I can't even use the current price as a starting point.

Or I've got a Beverly K ring that Pearlmans's lists for $4,869 in 18K with .91 ct in diamonds. I'm not sure what mine is, but let's assume only 14K. Again, I haven't worn this for ages, especially now that I have a new similar band, so where do I start...? Maybe $1,800?... $1,500... ?

I've got other stuff too, but I'm hoping that just wrapping my head around a few things like this will help me create reasonable prices for the other stuff. And don't even get me started on watches! I've go a Rolex and a Cartier Roadster that haven't seen the light of day for ages...

Any advice here will be greatly appreciated! And I'm not looking to retire off the unused pieces in my jewelry box, LOL, just clear it out so I can fill the slots with some new things! :cheeky:

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I struggle with this too. One thing you don't want to do is underprice though. Is the Beverley K a band or an engagement ring (or like)? A band with diamonds all the way around would likely need someone with that specific size so that might be a reason to discount it some. If you haven't worn that ring much, I might start with a 40% off that Pearlman's price - you can always decrease it or say you are open to reasonable offers. Will be interesting to see what others suggest here.

You mention a Cartier watch... do you happen to have a Cartier Tank? If so I would be interested!

Good luck @Dee*Jay - I think Beverley k jewelry is beautiful and it would likely sell quickly.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check what similar preloved items sold for (whether on eBay or elsewhere), not what they are listed for.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends how badly I want to sell something. I price it accordingly. The faster I want to sell the lower I price something. Sometimes the time and energy isn't worth it for the extra money and I just price it to sell. Sort of like a home. I dont want it sitting on the market too long if I have another place I want to go if you kwim. And since we aren't talking hundreds of thousands here it becomes less critical and reading your post I get the feeling you would just like to sell it and make way for the new.

I would start at half of what you paid and hopefully it would sell quickly. Good luck Dee.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the advice everyone

Facetgirl, not a Tank but a Roadster.

roadster_with_rolex-jpg.372055

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah depends on the speed which you want to sell things. If you’re not in a rush you could price at 30% off retail and see if there is interest. For brand name pieces that never go on sale or have outlets, there might be interested folk. If there’s no interest you could always relist at a lower price. Loupetroop doesn’t charge for listings so no worries there.

I bought a pair of white flash super ideals on LT for 30% off comps which I felt was pretty fair. I think branded items do better in the preloved market.

Edit: I’ve definitelt sold items for 50% off purchase price since they weren’t super expensive in the first place and I literally hadn’t worn them in months if not years and wanted to clear room in my jewelry box. Selling for half seemed less of a loss than them sitting in a box. And chances are I’d only reach for them less with time as my tastes hange.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see! Post it, post it, post it!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see! Post it, post it, post it!

LOL, I'm afraid you may be sorely disappointed! People post such gorgeous pieces for sale that I'm kinda embarrassed to even list some of my things. I am going to go through the big ol' box of stuff this week though and put things out there!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooooooo sooo tell me a little more about that Rolex.... :twisted2:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I often sell stuff locally but ask about 40% what I paid for it because people usually ask for a reduced price. I am usually just happy to get rid of it and get some cash towards my next project.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have my exact Rolex, though mine probably has more animal hairs in it.

Start with 50% of retail. Be flexible from that point within 10%.

Just my opinion though.

Reactions: caf
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results