shape
carat
color
clarity

How to break away from rings and onto other jewelry...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
The more time I spend on this site the more I want to add some colored stones to my jewelry collection. But everything I see, I think, "Gee that would be great in a ring with some side diamonds... " For instance, I saw an incredible garnet on Wink''s site and all I could envision to do with it was to set it in a ring. I tried for a second to think of the stone in a pendant, but I just kept seeing a ring. I do have a couple of pairs of earrings (all with diamonds) and one bezel set diamond pendant, but every time I go jewelry shopping I just keep getting drawn over and over to the rings. And I don''t own a single bracelet

Does anybody else suffer from this? How do you break out of this "ring thing" and into jewelry above the wrist?!?

I feel like there should be some 12 step program and I just don''t know where to sign up for it...

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I have to admit I am drawn to rings as well. I always head towards that section in any jewelry store. I think it''s because it''s the one piece of jewelry I can actually look at while wearing. You can''t look down and admire your pendant or earrings unless you''re near a mirror! I like to see how diamonds and colored stones react to different lighting environments and unless I carried around a mirror I couldn''t do that with anything but a ring. So I guess I''m the same way. I do like pendants, however, although I ususally wear the same one all the time.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
actually I just thought if I got a bracelet I could look down and admire that as well but they just don''t do it for me. I don''t normally wear a bracelet but I used to several years ago.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Diamondsrock - That has always been my rational; I want jewelry I can see too!

As for bracelets... I was thinking of getting one so I tried on a friend's bracelets a few weeks ago. Wore one hard bangle type and one flexible bracelet for a couple of days each, and they just drove me CRAZY. Who knows, maybe over time I wouldn't mind them, but I felt like I was clunking/catching them on everything. My watch doesn't bother me at all, but maybe because it's close to my wrist and not flopping around all over.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
DJ,
I have the same problem. I am just drawn to rings, love them. I don''t like bracelets either, they drive me nuts. But I have added a couple of pendants over the years and love them. But I agree with rings you get to enjoy them all the time. Guess I am no help, Lol!!!
3.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
I think a lot of us have this problem. Lord knows I have more rings than anyone could need, and I''m still drawn to them!
20.gif

I think earrings and pendants are for others to enjoy and admire, while rings and bracelets are for ME to look at.
1.gif

I do love bracelets as long as they''re not too big and clunky, and am surprised so many seem to be bothered by them. Bangles don''t work for me, but smallish bracelets worn on the same wrist as my watch is a favorite look...

widget

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
My life before PS? I could have cared less about a RHR, gemstones, earrings, braclets, pendants.
My life after PS? I eat, drink, sleep RINGS and jewellery in general.... OMG, it''s like all I want is a another ring. I really want to start a collection of my own rings. I don''t think I will ever come close to aquiring a lot of rings like some PSers have but I would like to have a couple of different ones but in excellent quality. Some with sapphires and some just diamonds.

For me, in my case I think rings are perfect for showing off and as well for admiring one selfs hands.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
{{{{I think earrings and pendants are for others to enjoy and admire, while rings and bracelets are for ME to look at. I do love bracelets as long as they''re not too big and clunky, and am surprised so many seem to be bothered by them. }}}}}

I agree with Widget. I especially like bracelets in the summer when the wrists are more exposed. For Christmas my DH got me a sapphire & diamond bracelet (although he just gave it to me last week since we are/were WAY behind!). He got it at an antique shop. I wasn''t going to post a picture, since I couldn''t seem to get a good one, plus we still need to have work done on the prongs (included in the price but won''t be done for a few weeks), but I might try:

sapp n diam bracelet.jpg

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
SanDiegoLady brings up an interesting point about how many rings you can even wear at one time. I have my E-ring and wedding ring, my eternity band, and a diamond and sapphire ring that I had made as a RHR but I rarely wear it on my right hand because I''m always banging it on things (I did a recently post in Colored Stones about having to have this whole stone recut due to the number of chips in it becuase I''m a klutz... ), so I end up wearing that in lieu of my wedding/Ering when I feel like a little color. Really, now that I think about it, I only wear one ring (or set of rings) at a time. Plus, I have some other cheap things (a three-colored gold Italian wedding ring, a Tiffany yellow gold Xs and Os ring, and a few more than I can''t think of right now) that I wear instead of anything with diamonds when I''m going to Home Depot or something like that. But always on the same finger. I tried to wear my eternity band on my right hand last night when we went out, but it bugged the sh*t out of me. It''s pretty thick (the stones are .34-.36 cts each) and I finally had to switch it with my Ering. For some reason I don''t notice the eternity band on my left hand at all (maybe it''s just a matter of getting used to?), but it''s a little small for my right hand anyway and I had to really pry that sucker off!

Oh well, if I''m only going to adorn one finger at a time maybe I really should make more of an effort to go above the wrist. That will be my 2006 goal -- to get a couple of pendants and some more earrings. (But I just can''t be held responsible if I end up buying a few more rings along the way... )

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Dee Jay, you MUST wear your diamonds to Home Depot. They have the best lighting ever!
9.gif

Old Fashioned Girl, your bracelet is soooo pretty!
30.gif

I''ve decided that I cannot buy any more rings...ever! I really do not like to wear a ring on my right hand and so I usually switch from either my wedding set (yellow gold) to my diamond/sapphire 3-stone set (white gold). So recently I got diamond earrings and I have a couple of pendant ideas in mind. BUT...I''m always drawn to rings!

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Patty - I''m glad to hear I''m not the only one who switches things around in terms of wedding-type jewelry.

And LOL on that Home Depot lighting! The next time I head out to buy some house thing I''ll load on the stones!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OFG,
I love your bracelet, it''s gorgeous!!!
30.gif
30.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is not a problem upgrading to other jewelry - once you have upgraded your rings to about the largest stones you can effectively wear as a ring.

Then you will again need to upgrade - and the stones (or pattern of stones) will be so large that they will have to be in a pendant or other form (thus - upgrade desease leads to other things).\

Alternately, you could go for something like these... if you do not want to wait until you can afford that 45 carat diamond pendant...

www.platinumsmith.com.au/Full/Recent_Works_3_4.htm

www.platinumsmith.com.au/Full/Recent_Works_5_2.htm

(I could not get the pictures to upload).

Perry

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I was actually that big on jewelry and never wanted any until I realized that I just like the really really nice jewelry (e.g. the kind you see in Birgdorf Goodman). So as you can predict I don''t have a big collection of jewelry. However, I too have gravitate toward purchasing rings.

Earings would however be my second choice since they are the jewelry that frames your face and gives you the most difference in appearance IMO. Some necklaces will change your appearance also, but only if they are compelling enough, like chokers for e.g. For earings, I actually like colored stones that hang off matt yellow gold.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2006 9:54:22 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 1/21/2006 12:07:10 PM
Author: Patty
Dee Jay, you MUST wear your diamonds to Home Depot. They have the best lighting ever!
9.gif
OMG You are hilarious Patty. LMAO.
It''s true! Check it out. The last time my hubby was going there, I offered to go with him. He was like, "Really? You want to come along?" (I usually never run errands with him.)

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/23/2006 10:30:25 PM
Date: 1/23/2006 9:54:22 PM

Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 1/21/2006 12:07:10 PM

9.gif
OMG You are hilarious Patty. LMAO.

It''s true! Check it out. The last time my hubby was going there, I offered to go with him. He was like, ''Really? You want to come along?'' (I usually never run errands with him.)

That''s so funny...I do the same thing. The way I look at it is that I am taking my diamond out for a walk.

After I got my e-ring, when we go to our faveorite resturant I only sit in a specific part of the resturant b/c the lighting there makes my ring look fabulouse. Lighting has a new meaning now...no longer to favor ones complexion but to make the diamond sparkle!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2006 10:17:55 PM
Author: widget

I do love bracelets as long as they''re not too big and clunky, and am surprised so many seem to be bothered by them. Bangles don''t work for me, but smallish bracelets worn on the same wrist as my watch is a favorite look...

widget
Widget, I totally agree with this. I love bracelets. My diamond bracelet is worn everyday with my watch on my left hand. I love the look of this bracelet withmy watch. On my right hand, depending upon the color of my outfit, I wear some kind of gemstone ring and bracelet to match.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Kaleidoscopic - I understand completely what you're saying about lighting! My ring looks absolutely THE BEST in the lighting in the handicapped stall in the ladies room of my office. I look at my ring everywhere, and I have no idea why that turned out to be the magic spot on the planet, but you can only imagine how much time I spend in the ladies room now...

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
The lighting in movie theater rooms is really flattering too. I'm always amazed at how much better my rings look.

I love rings so I'm not much help at getting beyond collecting them. i do like earrings too but as said before, ring and bracelets can be enjoyed by the wearer sans mirror. yay!

i don't like my neck so i don't wear pendants, chains etc. Something really extravagant like one of those elaborate Neil Lane monsters would be a dream but a bit ridiculous
20.gif
even if we can afford it one day. How many times a year am i dressed to wear a mansion (or 2) around my skinny neck?

Bracelets are wonderful but the ones I love are way too $$$ for my life now too. Rings can compress so much art/desgin, glamour and beauty into such a teeny tiny area. gotta love em!

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2006 1:17:31 PM
Author: Dee Jay
Kaleidoscopic - I understand completely what you''re saying about lighting! My ring looks absolutely THE BEST in the lighting in the handicapped stall in the ladies room of my office. I look at my ring everywhere, and I have no idea why that turned out to be the magic spot on the planet, but you can only imagine how much time I spend in the ladies room now...

LOL! Luckily for me I have great lighting in two of my law classes so I get my share of fulfillment then. I still end up going to jewelry stores for their lighting, not to buy anything, but just to admire my ring!

I only have a small collection of jewelry since I was never into jewelry before. Prior to getting my e-ring, I bough diamond earings for myself (.9 total) and never really weant crazy over diamonds as a result of them, largely I think because I would rarely see them sparkle because of the angle. Once I got my e-ring and saw the way diamond plays with light, since it was now in my viewing range, I could really appreciate diamonds for all that they were and understood the saying "Diamonds are a girl''s best friend."

I think OUR tendancy for rings reflects our desire to enjoy that peice of jewelry to its maximum. Other jewelry, with the exception of bracelets (which are not for everyone), is more for others to view and admire. Rings have the most "function" since they are both for you as well as others to view and admire.
9.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Patty & Kaleigh, thanks for the compliments!

{{{{{Something really extravagant like one of those elaborate Neil Lane monsters would be a dream but a bit ridiculous even if we can afford it one day. How many times a year am i dressed to wear a mansion (or 2) around my skinny neck?}}}}}

kaylagee, I know what you mean here; I saw some absolutely GORGEOUS necklaces recently, some of which were estate jewelry: rubies and diamonds, etc.. , just breathtaking, and actually I wouldn''t mind wearing them around my neck! But I''d have to be a queen going to my own coronation to ever be able to afford and wear it! Kind of not worth the "mansions" as you said...

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad I am not the only one, lol. I have designed a few earrings and pendants but when I buy a stone I always thing towards what kind of ring I can design and I have a very good collection already. I soooooooooo need to move onto other pieces but I can''t help myself.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
It''s funny, I love rings but have less of them than anything else. I have quite a few pendants and bracelets. I''m always afraid to buy rings because trying to figure out the perfect size drives me nuts. The rings I do have always seem too snug or too loose. Although right now, I am thinking of buying a five stone RHR that I could wear with everything. I guess you just have to break out of the mold and try something different.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 10:42:50 AM
Author: old-fashioned girl
Patty & Kaleigh, thanks for the compliments!

{{{{{Something really extravagant like one of those elaborate Neil Lane monsters would be a dream but a bit ridiculous even if we can afford it one day. How many times a year am i dressed to wear a mansion (or 2) around my skinny neck?}}}}}

kaylagee, I know what you mean here; I saw some absolutely GORGEOUS necklaces recently, some of which were estate jewelry: rubies and diamonds, etc.. , just breathtaking, and actually I wouldn''t mind wearing them around my neck! But I''d have to be a queen going to my own coronation to ever be able to afford and wear it! Kind of not worth the ''mansions'' as you said...

LOL! there might be a perverse pleasure in throwing it on with everyday clothes to go to the grocery store/errands.
18.gif
i wonder how many people would even catch on that the necklace was real diamonds&gems and not czs?

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
{{{{{LOL! there might be a perverse pleasure in throwing it on with everyday clothes to go to the grocery store/errands. i wonder how many people would even catch on that the necklace was real diamonds&gems and not czs? }}}}}}

That is funny to imagine!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results