shape
carat
color
clarity

How to best protect an older cut stone? Have two chips :(

olympia776

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring has a transitional cut with a very thin girdle. I just found out when a jeweler was cleaning my ring that I've got a new chip. This makes two chips in the past two years. I'm sick about it and not sure what to do. I currently have the ring in this ritani setting which I feel has the stone too exposed.

I have two ideas - one would be to convert the portion that encircles the stone into a bezel. I'd love to keep the prong look though. Think I could add an extremely thin bezel and keep the prongs too? Any pictures of rings with bezels and prongs?

My second idea is to create an illusion style head with basically a bezel that looks more like fishtail prongs. I'll add a pic of a vintage ring with a similar look.

I think I'll be going to Ari at Single Stone to help me out. I really want someone who is competent and can work with my existing setting.

ritani.jpg

ring setting1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How to best protect an older cut stone? Have two chips

That is really sad because you have a beautiful Ritani setting! But I hate to say it, but I don't think it would work well to adapt the current setting. Lots of people around here put antique stones in bezel settings. Here's one:

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/the-sophia-french-cut-solitaire-with-bezel-round.html

Or you could do the illusion setting like you have pictured. I actually have a setting from my great grandmother that is like that. You might want to consider having your chips polished before resetting. It's not necessary but I would want my stone in as good condition as possible.

Singlestone is the perfect place to go, though. They can make you a ring that is complementary to your stone and one that will protect it better.

olympia776

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your thoughts. I really, really love my current setting and I don't think we'd be able to do another setting right now. Plus, I feel like I'm attached to it. Trouble is I'm attached to the whole thing as it is since it's been a part of my life for the past four years. I'm hoping that we might be able to alter the head into more of an illusion style with it.

Maybe one of those more ruffled style borders that gives the illusion of a larger stone - something like this where the border almost blends in with the stone:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330625263173&category=58555&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_4090wt_1185

or like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390353411670?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1467wt_952

slg47

Ideal_Rock

do you have a picture of the side view of the setting?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That stone is flat on the back, so it is just sitting there. That won't work with a stone like yours. You;d have to have a bezel or sit it down in something like the illusion setting.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Just wondering do you wear your ring all the time? What type of activities do you do that are rough?

olympia776

Rough_Rock

swingirl|1318472278|3039011 said:
Just wondering do you wear your ring all the time? What type of activities do you do that are rough?
I do wear it all the time but I don't really do anything too rough. I think it's got an extremely thin girdle.

olympia776

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1318471939|3039008 said:
That stone is flat on the back, so it is just sitting there. That won't work with a stone like yours. You;d have to have a bezel or sit it down in something like the illusion setting.

I meant to sit it down inside the sort of cup - for lack of a better term - that is already a part of the setting. The end result would look a like that cabochon - a thin bezel around it and prongs. (Hoping you can visualize that)

olympia776

Rough_Rock

slg47|1318470834|3038997 said:

here's the side view:

ritani with side view.jpg

olympia776

Rough_Rock

olympia776|1318478013|3039072 said:
slg47|1318470834|3038997 said:

here's the side view:

Mine is actually set a bit lower more like this - I'm wondering about turning this into a bezel:

ritani set low.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My guess is that they'd have to just cut the whole head out of your ring and basically you'd just have the shank of your current ring in the adapted ring. But you really will have to speak to a ring maker to get good answers on what your options are. I'd just call Ari and see what he says.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Greetings,

I would highly recommend re-polishing the diamond (it likely has abrasions on the facet junctions as well as those chips) and while you are having the chips and abrasions polished off have them polish a girdle on the diamond as well to prevent future chipping.

Regards,
Rhino

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Rhino|1318529775|3039485 said:
Greetings,

I would highly recommend re-polishing the diamond (it likely has abrasions on the facet junctions as well as those chips) and while you are having the chips and abrasions polished off have them polish a girdle on the diamond as well to prevent future chipping.

Regards,
Rhino

Always nice when you are about to offer advice to see one of our trade members already has offered the same advice!

I just bought an old cut with a chip. I am having the whole thing repolished exactly for this reason. I'm not putting it into an illusion head, but it will have fishtail like prongs that square the stone and protect it. I highly recommend you talk to Ari about polishing yours too.

olympia776

Rough_Rock

Greetings,

Regards,
Rhino

Thanks so much, Rhino. Do you think that a bezel is the safest thing to do with it? Is there a chance that polishing the girdle would protect it enough to keep it in a four prong setting? Obviously you've not seen the stone so just wondering what you think the possibilities might be.

Thanks so much!

olympia776

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1318531921|3039519 said:
Greetings,

Regards,
Rhino

Always nice when you are about to offer advice to see one of our trade members already has offered the same advice!

I just bought an old cut with a chip. I am having the whole thing repolished exactly for this reason. I'm not putting it into an illusion head, but it will have fishtail like prongs that square the stone and protect it. I highly recommend you talk to Ari about polishing yours too.

I might see about doing the same thing. I'd love to be able to gently alter my setting to better protect the stone. I really adore my setting :( Wah.

Is repolishing really all that safe?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ari should be able to tell you the risks as he does this frequently. NO it's not 100% safe because polishing is cutting and the wheel could cause damage. Make sure it is insured properly! :wavey:

olympia776

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1318557856|3039855 said:
Ari should be able to tell you the risks as he does this frequently. NO it's not 100% safe because polishing is cutting and the wheel could cause damage. Make sure it is insured properly! :wavey:

Thanks. Well, it's definitely not insured and that's not going to happen anytime soon. Hopefully Ari will have some great ideas for me. *crosses fingers*

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

You know that setting is a risk right -- especially in a bezel? And most jewelers do not insure you stones against loss with stones not purchased from their stores. So um... WHY isn't it insured? It REALLY doesn't cost that much. Ari can appraise if for you and in an hour you can be insured online with Jewelers Mutual. Seriously.

PLEASE tell Ari it's uninsured. That will make a difference in his advice.

olympia776

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1318574790|3040033 said:
You know that setting is a risk right -- especially in a bezel? And most jewelers do not insure you stones against loss with stones not purchased from their stores. So um... WHY isn't it insured? It REALLY doesn't cost that much. Ari can appraise if for you and in an hour you can be insured online with Jewelers Mutual. Seriously.

PLEASE tell Ari it's uninsured. That will make a difference in his advice.

It really isn't that valuable a stone and we decided at the time that we'd purchase a new stone if something happened to mine. It's got huge sentimental value but it wouldn't be that expensive to replace.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Are the chips posing a structural threat? I had an OEC with 2 tiny chips and my appraiser (Richard Sherwood) said I could have it polished to up the clarity but he didn't think it necessary. Tiny nicks/chips are common in old stones b/c of the ex. thin girdle. If you don't think your stone has enough value to insure than I'm not sure it would really be worth the expense to have it polished with a thicker girdle. You run the risk of it being damaged and having no diamond. I just don't think it would be worth the risk. Of course, if you do polish they can add a thicker girdle and you could probably use your same setting. You do lose a little bit of weight when you polish. I wouldn't do anything without insurance though. Most renters and homeowner's policies have basic jewelry coverage up to a certain amount so you might look into that to see if you do indeed have basic coverage. A jewelry rider isn't that expensive though and I would suggest it if you decide to move forward.

olympia776

Rough_Rock

mrssalvo|1318597750|3040166 said:
Are the chips posing a structural threat? I had an OEC with 2 tiny chips and my appraiser (Richard Sherwood) said I could have it polished to up the clarity but he didn't think it necessary. Tiny nicks/chips are common in old stones b/c of the ex. thin girdle. If you don't think your stone has enough value to insure than I'm not sure it would really be worth the expense to have it polished with a thicker girdle. You run the risk of it being damaged and having no diamond. I just don't think it would be worth the risk. Of course, if you do polish they can add a thicker girdle and you could probably use your same setting. You do lose a little bit of weight when you polish. I wouldn't do anything without insurance though. Most renters and homeowner's policies have basic jewelry coverage up to a certain amount so you might look into that to see if you do indeed have basic coverage. A jewelry rider isn't that expensive though and I would suggest it if you decide to move forward.

I might look into insuring it - I'd be very upset if something happened to the whole ring and I guess I have to think of that and not jsut the family diamond. It wouldn't be extremely cheap to replace - I think the only insurance quote we got before was rather expensive. I figured if I saved the money I'd spend in the next decade I'd have an upgrade. Possibly not the best way to think of it!

I'm also not sure the severity of the chips. I'll take it to single stone and get a recommendation. Hopefully when Ari knows all of the variables he'll be able to advise me well. I'm going to have to put it into someone else's hands to help me decide what is best.

I really appreciate anyone's input. If I'm lucky I might be able to get it polished and keep it in the current setting. I think your advice to insure it might be worth the peace of mind. Esp if I want to keep the lovely setting my sweetie and I picked out.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Insurance really isn't expensive. And it is peace of mind. I don't remember what I pay per year but it's not that much through JM and the most annoying thing is keeping up with the rising metal and diamond prices with updated appraisals.

Why put yourself in a position you might have to replace the diamond when you can just buy insurance?

olympia776

Rough_Rock

Just wanted to update for any helpers that I'm going to see Ari on Friday. He was extremely nice via email so I'll be excited to see what he as to say.

I'm hoping it's better than I think!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just out of curiosity, what size is the diamond? Because diamond prices are high right now, and most diamonds are going to cost a lot to replace if lost or damaged unless they are very small or very poor quality.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results