shape
carat
color
clarity

How to ask her father?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bosox86

Rough_Rock
I have been goin over and over in my head of what i want to say and how to say it to my gfs father. I just cant put the words together. All i know to tell him is that i really love his daughter and promise to take care of her and appreciate her for the rest of my life. i just dont know how to say it to him or how to bring it up.

me and him get along really well and i know he would say it was ok, and i know they expect "the question" any time now.

Can anyone give me some words of advice as to how to bring it up in coversation, or how exactly to say what i need to say to him.

Also i am wanting to talk to her mother too, should i do it at the same time, or one before the other?

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

LeggoMyEggo

Rough_Rock
Awww, congratulations! You have a good thing going in that you get along well with her parents and they''re expecting you to ask. The question is, when and how will you do it? Do you live close enough to go and see them? If so, pick a time when you''re sure your girlfriend will be at work or out with a friend. Then call her family and ask if it''s alright to drop by. Since you feel it''s important to talk to her mom, too, you should discuss it with her parents together. I think that will make a good impression and show that you view marriage as a partnership of equals, making decisions together :)

Tell them that you have enjoyed getting to know them over the months/years, that you are glad you get along so well. Tell them they already feel like family, but you want to make it official now. You hope they feel the same way. Then spill the beans about your love for their daughter and your good intentions to take care of her. Then say, "I really hope we have your support and your blessing-- that would mean so much to us both."

At that point, her mom will probably cry and you can celebrate a bit. Clue them in on the plan, unless you think her mom''s a blabbermouth in which case you can just say you''re still working on it.

Good luck!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 9:53:17 AM
Author:bosox86
I have been goin over and over in my head of what i want to say and how to say it to my gfs father. I just cant put the words together. All i know to tell him is that i really love his daughter and promise to take care of her and appreciate her for the rest of my life. i just dont know how to say it to him or how to bring it up.

me and him get along really well and i know he would say it was ok, and i know they expect ''the question'' any time now.

Can anyone give me some words of advice as to how to bring it up in coversation, or how exactly to say what i need to say to him.

Also i am wanting to talk to her mother too, should i do it at the same time, or one before the other?

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

It sound like you already know the gist of what you will be saying. If they are expecting it, they will probably suspect what you are doing, so I would say relax and don''t worry too much. You can tell them about any future plans that you have made, and how you plan to support one another in them. You can also thank them for embracing you while you have been dating their daughter.

As an aside, my BF had a dream the other night that we were going off to get married, and he forgot to ask me dad. BF was FREAKING OUT in the dream, because it was too late to ask, lol. I thought it was funny!

Good luck with the parents and the proposal!!!

bosox86

Rough_Rock
thanks i am the type of person who gets nervous when i really shouldnt, thanks for the good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results