shape
carat
color
clarity

How safe would this setting be? (bezel)

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
It would be made in platinum by an experienced local jeweller, and exclusively worn with a plain platinum wedding ring of matching proportions to the band, that would sit flush. (Never next to a diamond or other gemstone band). The stone would be a 2 carat EC. It would be worn reasonably carefully.

Stupid question but could a plain band scratch the culet of the diamond?

EC1.jpg EC2.jpg EC3.jpg

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Hopeful bump for the weekend crowd :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can do the North/South with the deeper bezel also (like the East/West). I wouldnt call it a closed bezel unless you have
no way of getting to the stone from the under side. Most people would not recommend a true "closed" bezel because it would make
it impossible to clean the underside of the stone.

The thing with the deeper bezel is that your wedding band will not sit flush. Is that a want?

Are you doing custom?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @tyty333 ! Yes, it would be custom and I can ask for any adaptations I want. It's a jeweller I have used before for similar custom work and have been very pleased with them. You're right, both rings would be open from the back so closed bezel isn't the right word for the second one.

I would prefer the rings to sit almost flush. I don't mind a small gap but my fingers are short so I would rather not have a big one.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I personally love the N/S look, but I’d add something to prevent the possibility of the diamond chipping / scratching.

I love Sholdt profiles, they have a setting that would offer protection but prevent accidents

84172431-9F7E-4A39-B45F-38427A3BE86D.jpeg

Or something like this…

Attachments

• 0C20B7DE-D8E1-4B8B-AC37-3F08C163E985.jpeg
    0C20B7DE-D8E1-4B8B-AC37-3F08C163E985.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 3

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In theory a band that’s less deep/high off the finger than where the diamond starts to protrude horizontally from the chassis would be fine.

In practice bands don’t stay exactly aligned unless they’re soldered together, and any band worn next to this solitaire is going to rub against the exposed diamond pavilion! I wouldn’t set a stone I care about in this sort of mount.

Attachments

• E86EA47C-ED1F-468F-8D8C-6109C615CEAB.jpeg
    E86EA47C-ED1F-468F-8D8C-6109C615CEAB.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 10

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the input!

@Cerulean those are lovely profiles - I'll look into them! Don't think I can get Sholdt over here but I could do something with elements of it.

@yssie - that's really helpful - I definitely won't risk it in that case. I am mainly doing a bezel for comfort and protecting the stone in everyday wear, so not much point if it's going to potentially damage it. It's the most expensive thing I own apart from my house :errrr:

What I really love is this Cross Jewelers setting, but unfortunately they don't set outside stones any more, plus I'm in the wrong country :( I have an aversion to knock offs but maybe I could adapt the design...?

Cross1.jpg Cross2.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you either added a doughnut to the first bezel you posted or turned the single shank into a split shank... The worry goes away, just a thought!

Otherwise you could 100% adapt the Cross design!! Just thinking out loud here, a pinched shank instead of the two straight parallel joined bands, or one cuff - or a more elaborate cuff - instead of the two straight parallel joined cuffs... A different design that retains the deco feeling ❤️

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamond touching metal + the slightest movement between them == buzz saw that makes short work of the metal.
Both designs need a flare where the shank meets head to help prevent rotation.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the input!

@Cerulean those are lovely profiles - I'll look into them! Don't think I can get Sholdt over here but I could do something with elements of it.

@yssie - that's really helpful - I definitely won't risk it in that case. I am mainly doing a bezel for comfort and protecting the stone in everyday wear, so not much point if it's going to potentially damage it. It's the most expensive thing I own apart from my house :errrr:

What I really love is this Cross Jewelers setting, but unfortunately they don't set outside stones any more, plus I'm in the wrong country :( I have an aversion to knock offs but maybe I could adapt the design...?

Cross1.jpg Cross2.jpg

I love this look! Just remember this style will leave a gap! You can have they taper the sides of the bezel inwards however to minimize it without jeopardizing the design!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much everyone - this is so helpful.

I have taken on board all the points and have a much better idea of what I'm looking for. I am wondering if something like this (very similar to my previous ring) might be the best option in terms of balancing all my priorities: protection of the stone, being easy to wear, easy to clean /letting light in, allowing the wedding band to sit mostly flush:

Though as I am notoriously fickle where jewellery is concerned :roll: I'm going to force myself to wait for a while before making a final decision.

JMK

Rough_Rock
I am hard on jewelry, something that it took me a while to figure out.

I have an emerald-cut stone in a setting very similar to the first you posted. I wear with a carré cut, channel set eternity band.

I have had no problems with the ring, but it doesn’t get much wear. I usually wear a plain band, the plain band with the eternity band, just the eternity band, or nothing.

I love the settings from Cross, and have a Sholdt semi-bezel with an east-west oval. But, I've learned anything with a stone sitting "up", even in a bezel ready for war, is impractical on a daily basis for me.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I am hard on jewelry, something that it took me a while to figure out.

I have an emerald-cut stone in a setting very similar to the first you posted. I wear with a carré cut, channel set eternity band.

I have had no problems with the ring, but it doesn’t get much wear. I usually wear a plain band, the plain band with the eternity band, just the eternity band, or nothing.

I love the settings from Cross, and have a Sholdt semi-bezel with an east-west oval. But, I've learned anything with a stone sitting "up", even in a bezel ready for war, is impractical on a daily basis for me.

Do you know, I think I'm the same. I'm not particularly hard on my rings (take them off for everything), but don't feel quite comfortable wearing anything other than a smooth plain band. My mother has a gypsy-style bezel emerald ring which is super comfortable and I would happily that style - maybe I should think about something like that...

Do you consider the Cross setting and Sholdt semi-bezel "stone sitting up" rings or a "smooth band" rings?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results