Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parrot can buy his own booze now... :bigsmile:

amazon_2.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire your parrot is beautiful. How old is he? What is their average life expectancy?

I don't have exact ages because all our fur babies were rescues so we just have approximations.

Fred is our eldest at around 14 or 15 years old or so. He had been a stray found outside and became a blood donor cat at a veterinarian clinic in return for shelter and food at the clinic and my dh and I rescued him from there in 2003 but I don't remember the month.

Francesca is around 7.75 years old and she was found with her litter mates by firemen spring 2009 and we adopted her July 2009.

Bobby was rescued by a one man rescue group the day he was about to be "euthanized" at a kill shelter and then he had been tossed from foster home to foster home and nobody would give him a permanent home because he was a pain in the butt lol. However then we came along decided to give him his furever home and at that point we had Fred and Francesca so Bobby made 3. We adopted him in September 2009. Bobby is about the same age as Francesca we think. About 7.75 years old.

And finally Tommy makes 4 fur babies in our family.
He was a mouser in the basement of the building where I work and when I found out about him and checked on him the conditions were dismal. Dark, dirty not enough food and no one to keep him company. :cry: Cats are very social.

I got my dh in on the act and we would visit Tommy on Saturdays (building was closed Sundays) and feed him and keep him company and when I was there during my workdays I would take my breaks with Tommy and feed him and keep him company. He was underfed (the manager and owner and super of the building wanted to keep him hungry so he would kill mice :blackeye: ).

Finally after a couple of months of sweet talking the super and being careful about not coming on too strong (the super there was nice but was full of machismo and I had to play it right) about it I convinced him to let me take Tommy to a local veterinarian and get him the vaccinations he needed and also to be neutered. And after that the super (just as I had hoped :Up_to_something: ) said why don't I just keep him. And I asked him to please not replace Tommy with another cat and he said he would do his best. And as far as I know there are no more cats held prisoner in my building at work. :pray:

That was December 2009 and Tommy was about 2 years old at the time so Tommy is now about 9 years old.

Just as a way of explaining how we came to adopt so many cats. When our beloved Billy died in 2009 we were devastated and still to this day miss him terribly. Billy was a special soul and truly the most special cat we have ever had the honor of meeting let alone having in our family. He thought he was human and well embodied the best of who cats and people are so you can imagine. The best without any of the bad. That was our Billy. So when he died we needed to find a way to honor his life and we felt that by rescuing these kitties and giving them as wonderful lives as we could that would honor Billy and his life. If that makes sense. So our poor Fred got 3 more siblings in a 5 month time period. But he came through like a trooper and he even occasionally plays with Tommy. :bigsmile: We lucked out because they all get along so well for being merged into the family at different times and different ages with 2 of them being full fledged adult cats at the time.

Dancing Fire, aren't you sorry you asked the question. LOL sorry for the long winded answer. Just sharing their ages seemed not to tell the whole story and though you didn't ask I was happy to share the backstory. :halo:

Below photos.
First one are the 4 cats on our bed.
And second photo is of our beloved Billy. RIP Billy. We will all join you one day at Rainbow Bridge.

_6390.jpeg

_38775.jpg

P

PierreBear

Your parrot is adorable! I have a cat who is around 8 years old. We are uncertain due to his adoption from the shelter. My very first pet and I already have fears of what I'll do when he passes. I almost think that I won't be able to have another cat after him. I sound like a crazy cat lady. :shifty:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky turns 7 January 3. I don't do cake, I do burgers! :appl: She of course loves the fact that mommy makes her the smelliest burger ever.

Last year her birthday was during our first trip to Florida to find a house. Burger consisted of lean ground beef (its all I had at the time) beef liver, peas and carrots(hey it can't all be fun right?), cover with natural peanut butter.

No bun last year, we couldn't find them.

lucky_birthday_6.jpg

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
img_0596.jpg

img_0649_0.jpg

Sophie the cocker spaniel is 12 years old. She's the sweetest dog ever and has been dealing with lots of health issues lately. We're so happy we still have her with us.
Suki is 7 and my unofficial rescue. She came from a litter of puppies in a basket in the back of a pick-up truck. They were crawling with fleas and she also had giardia. I wish I could have taken all the puppies, but getting her was completely impulsive. I just couldn't leave her there. She is a little sweetheart who still likes to steal our shoes, socks or anything else so she can trade for a treat. We don't know her breed, but she looks a lot like a llasa apso or havanese.
Gracie is a year old and a havanese. She's very healthy and happy, and is a little love bug. She's almost catlike in personality at times, and reminds us a lot of our two Siamese that have now passed away. She has a super little personality and is incredibly smart.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cute pics of your pets all! I miss my African Grey - he would have been 18.

My horses are both almost 14 but hopefully we will be riding well into their 20's. My 4 rescue cats are all about 5 months - two sets of siblings - one set in the barn and one in the shop. They are hilarious and we watch them go back and forth deciding where all will sleep together! Of my 3 chickens I have left - two are 4 years and one is 3 years old. My Chow is 9, the Boston is almost 12, and the Border Collie is almost 2. She is a handful for sure.

I think I need a couple pigs and goats. Pigs for eating!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1483100485|4110669 said:
Dancing Fire your parrot is beautiful. How old is he? What is their average life expectancy?
Thanks Missy. He is 21. their average life expectancy is about 40 yrs.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chucky (top left) is the oldest and the boss, he is nearly 10 years old
Stinker (bottom left) is the cuddly goof and a little over 4 years old
Yoghurt (right) is only 11 weeks old and thinks he runs the show already :lol:

20161230_153253.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone, your stories and pictures of your furbabies is wonderful and lovely. I love hearing how they came to be part of your family and their characters. Please keep sharing.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I brought our sweet cuddlebug kitty home from the shelter in September 2012. We were told she was born a few months earlier in May, so she is 4.5 years old now. We got her after our cat, Hank, died in June as the house felt so empty without a pet. We think the best way to honor a pet that has crossed Rainbow Bridge is to rescue or adopt another one.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
MacKenzie and Alexandra are littermates and will be 18 years old on January 16, 2017. They are the only two Tonkinese cats I have left of 10 (mom, dad and two litters - couldn't part with any of them, they were too cute). I was there for their birth. They are amazing, all of them. The two girls are slowly losing their battle with kidney disease, and all I can do is give them sub-Q fluids every day and feed them the right food (and make sure they eat).

mackenzie.jpg

alexandra.jpg

Malibu is a three and a half year old Maine Coon who is so happy go lucky, despite her tough beginning. She was taken away from her owner, who was charged with animal neglect. She was eight months old and had a litter of kittens, all of which did not make it. I adopted her from a rescue group in South Jersey in September. She has/had Stomatitis, and we just finished removing the remainder of her teeth to alleviate her discomfort. She is such a ragdoll and has the longest toe tufts I've ever seen and they're cream color (She's an orange cameo with a tabby face).

malibu.jpg

...and last but not least is Liz, who is seven years old and was surrendered by her owner to the Perth Amboy Animal Shelter In October because she was moving and couldn't take her with her. That angers me, pets are a lifetime commitment. I went to meet Liz and found that she was over grooming and pulling out her fur from the waist back due to the stress of being at the shelter. I've had her for exactly two weeks. She's getting used to having other cats around and is honestly doing pretty well adapting.

fullsizerender__2__16.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love seeing everyone's pets! DF, I did not know you had a bird, nice!!! :appl:

Here is Maggie, my female West Highland White Terrier. She will be 9 next month. At 11 months of age, she could not stand up from a recumbent or laying down position. The vet took x-rays and told us her hip dysplasia was so bad we'd be euthanizing her. He said no ortho surgeon did hip replacements on small dogs. WELL I FOUND ONE WHO DOES, the most famed ortho surgeon for ALL dogs, large and small and cats too btw, in Houston, TX, William Liska. If any PS-er needs to have a dog or cat's hips replaced, he is your man.

20161209_162432__2_.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my Finn, he just turned 14. "Finn" means bright, or light, or shining in Gaelic and he is all of those things. He is my heart.

dscn0215-2.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is Finn at the vet on Christmas Eve, having his postop dental surgery checkup! He came out fine, only had one tooth extracted!

20161224_102756.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
awwww look at Finn :love: Sometimes I wonder if Lucky gets lonely being an only pup. Reality is probably not :lol: Being that most greys are ex racer's at least here in the states lots of them get adopted out into families that might already have a grey or 2 (or more!) but she took to life as an only dog just fine. Considering I also got her hot off the track (she stopped racing a few weeks before we adopted) she took to home life very well....sans bumping her head on glass doors a few times...lol Oh and stairs.

Next year though we're going back to daycare at least a few days a month. After the move this year I put off finding a daycare as I was just too darn busy and finding new daycare places are always a pain.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1483125034|4110804 said:
Here is my Finn, he just turned 14. "Finn" means bright, or light, or shining in Gaelic and he is all of those things. He is my heart.
A cute little guy!.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love looking at everyone's pets and hearing how well they take care of them just warms me all over!

DF...have you had the parrot his whole life?

I have 2 cats that are 7-8 years old and 1 kitty who is about 2. All rescues so not quite sure of their real birthdates.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DAF|1483120769|4110782 said:
MacKenzie and Alexandra are littermates and will be 18 years old on January 16, 2017. They are the only two Tonkinese cats I have left of 10 (mom, dad and two litters - couldn't part with any of them, they were too cute). I was there for their birth. They are amazing, all of them. The two girls are slowly losing their battle with kidney disease, and all I can do is give them sub-Q fluids every day and feed them the right food (and make sure they eat).

DAF, I have never known or would have known had I seen a Tonkinese cat in my life. But wow, they are beautiful...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1483130654|4110839 said:
We bought him when he was like 6 months old.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1483133264|4110856 said:
DAF|1483120769|4110782 said:

DAF, I have never known or would have known had I seen a Tonkinese cat in my life. But wow, they are beautiful...

Thank you!

Tonks think people were put here to serve them! They really are interactive kitties, talk quite a bit (always have something to say), and will plop on any part of your body that's free. They're very sweet kitties and love to give affection. Two of them used to play fetch. They love to follow me around, especially for bathroom time.

MacKenzie's coloring classifies her as a blue mink, which means that the contrast between her points and body is medium. Minks are showable and have aquamarine eyes. MacKenzie plops on my chest in the morning and rubs noses with me. Alexandra is a platinum solid, with mild shading difference at the points. She has greenish yellow eyes. She knows when I am upset and comes to comfort me.

They also have heat reactive fur. The warmer they are, the lighter the fur. These girls LOVE heat. I've caught MacKenzie with her head stuffed in the ductwork when the register was off during renovation. Along the lines of this - the first litter of kittens were born with white fur, which began to darken at three weeks, starting with their noses. The second litter came out with their color already on - I have no explanation for that.

Q

Queenie60

We have two dogs and two cats. Quincy - is my 11 year old maltese. Bebe is a rescue, she's Havanese and the vets think she's around 10 years old. She was around 3 years when I rescued her. Our cats just turned 12 in November. They are litter mates, Duchess and Rascal. Their mother was a feral - trapped to be spayed and released however she had 4 kittens at the veterinarian hospital! We went to adopt Duchess and fell in love with her brother, Rascal. He's a black cat and the rescue agency told us that black cats do not get adopted as quickly as others. So of course, my heavy heart could not leave him behind. He's an expensive little guy as he has environmental allergies and his vet expenses and medicine expenses are pricey but we love him!! :love:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a human, male, intact, age 38.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto Bean, Your reply is hysterical.

I have a maltipoo who will be 6 years old this month. She is the sweetest little dog. Everything in our household revolves around her.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1483330055|4111497 said:

A very good age. Housebroken but with the potential for more training to be exactly what you need him to be.

8) :cheeky:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1483142848|4110911 said:
tyty333|1483130654|4110839 said:
We bought him when he was like 6 months old.

Wow...that's a long time!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You know you really should get him neutered...they tend to wander less! :lol:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missy|1483364232|4111547 said:

A very good age. Housebroken but with the potential for more training to be exactly what you need him to be.

8) :cheeky:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my Arya. She is a Saluki and is only 11 months old. She is a rascal. Very beautiful but oh so naughty. How could you not forgive and love such a face. img_1257.jpg
This is Button. She is a rescue greyhounds, an ex racing dog. She is now 12. We got her as a foster and she was so thin and anxious I couldn't not keep her. She is a perfect dog with my children (my little niece) We have had many rescue ex racing greyhounds. img_2815.jpg
This is Zoomie RIP my heart dog. Gone too soon. Love you precious boy.
img_0178_1.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
azstonie|1483124917|4110802 said:
Love seeing everyone's pets! DF, I did not know you had a bird, nice!!! :appl:

Here is Maggie, my female West Highland White Terrier. She will be 9 next month. At 11 months of age, she could not stand up from a recumbent or laying down position. The vet took x-rays and told us her hip dysplasia was so bad we'd be euthanizing her. He said no ortho surgeon did hip replacements on small dogs. WELL I FOUND ONE WHO DOES, the most famed ortho surgeon for ALL dogs, large and small and cats too btw, in Houston, TX, William Liska. If any PS-er needs to have a dog or cat's hips replaced, he is your man.

Azstonie, I adore both Maggie and Finn! I adore your photos of them! I grew up with Westies! Spryte, our last one lived to be 17! We have a Schnoodle named Zoe now. A rescue, she'll be about 9 on her next birthday.

zoe%20resized.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bron, your pups are so beautiful!

Lucky turned 7 today! :appl: So for dinner, mommy got a little lazy and took her to Wendy's. Its one of the few places where I can get her salt-free fries :lol:

birthday_princess.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results