shape
carat
color
clarity

how often does this happen??????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

heyrye

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am very new to the board and I am just wondering....My friend had just bought his engagement ring for his girlfriend. It WAS a beautiful ring..1.75 tw, 18k white gold, .75pt princess cut, VS-1,G color,good cut. Anyways, the ring was a little tight for his girlfriend so he had it resized. He didnt take it to the orignial jeweler, because he was out of town so he took it to a local jeweler. He recieved the ring back and noticed that the center stone was loose, he brought it back to the original jeweler and he said that there was 2 chips in the diamond, he said that the only way that it could have gotten chipped was if someone removed it. The original jeweler said that the center stone was removed or attempted to be removed. The guy who resized it never gave him a recepit and when he went back to the the guy who resized it the guy would not give him a recepit. Now he has to get it recut and it brings down the value of the orignial diamond. He has the original apprisal and a gemscan of the diamond before the chips. This really makes me not trust jewelers if this is a regular occurance. I live in Toronto, Ontario if there is any advice anyone can give me to help him out this would be great. Thanks for your time

Ryan

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
I don't know how regularly this happens, but some good advice would be to make sure you insure your jewelry before you have any work done on it.
4.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like they were either going to switch his stone or did switch his stone. Better have that appraised ASAP. Id file a police report about that.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess cuts are prone to chipping.. at least some. As far as I know, switching diamonds is not exactly common - although often mentioned. I bet it is the same stone, and it could well be feasible to repair the chips by repolishing depending on where exactly they are. Sizing may have required the center stone to be removed...

I would definitely not call the police before askign a jeweler to identify the center stone after it's certificate if there is one.

But this is just the on-going PS wisedom and my own guess, of course.
read.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results