shape
carat
color
clarity

How often does a diamond chip??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

plahen

Rough_Rock
I just talked to someone about purchasing a princess cut diamond. They said that the princess and the marquise(sp) have a high probability of chipping. Is this correct???

Next question-

Since most of the online sites dont offer a lifetime warranty like the mall stores do, the what do you do if it does chip? Do you insure it?

T.I.A.

PLahen

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on a lot of things, like cut, clarity, and the setting. Cuts with points and corners (like princess and marquise) do tend to chip more often than rounds. But "high probability" is overstating the matter, unless they are set poorly. A proper setting will protect the points.

Stones with lots of inclusions can chip as well, but I wouldn't worry about that unless you've got an SI2 or worse, or there is a feather (crack) near a point. Ask the jeweler to let you see it under his microscope if you're concerned about that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results