shape
carat
color
clarity

how often do you guys upgrade electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
like TV,computers,games, cell phone,etc...

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I upgrade when they break
2.gif

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
Phones I do when I break them... which is on average about every year, though my current phone has about a year and three months on it right now.

Computers we do pretty frequently... both both of our jobs are computer-based, so I guess that makes sense... I think we currently have 6 working computers from the last <4 years... Three new from the beginning and three upgrades. And we''re thinking of another two this summer. And that''s just machines, I think every single one of those computers, except the newest, has had small upgrades purchased for them (more RAM, better graphics cards, etc).

We don''t even own a TV, and just watch TV on sites like hulu.com.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Cell phone - every time I''m eligible for a free upgrade.

Computer - until it dies/is no longer reliable. I wish I could upgrade all the time, but I''m a mac user and that would get really expensive really quickly.

TV - until it''s no longer compatible. I got my TV before I went to college because it had hookups for a DVD player, DH has the TV that he got in college, too. I think we might upgrade to plasma next year, but we''re in no real rush. We''ve been slowly downgrading TV (first going down to basic cable, and we''re about to cancel that), so TV isn''t really a priority.

Other audio/stereo - DH has upgraded everything like crazy in the last two years. He gets really into surround sound, and that''s fine with me.

Camera - I''m sooo bad with this - I think I''ve had 4 digital cameras in the last 5 years (including the one I bought DH). I''m finally happy with the one I have though, so I''ll probably hold on to it for awhile.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cell phone every 2 years with Verizon New Every 2

Computers every 2-3 years

TVs when they break, or when the technology is far outdated. We just bought a new plasma last year. We'll keep that til it breaks, or until new, better technology comes down significantly.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
TVs and computers, when they break. Phones, when they break or I''m elligible for a free upgrade. I''d love a flat screen, DH couldn''t care less.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
My husband works for Best Buy... So, all the time!! We have more electronics than I have space for!!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cell phone - mine, when it breaks, I''ve had it for three years now and he had it for about a year before that. His, about every year or two.

TV - We haven''t had to replace one yet, it''s only two years old. We plan to replace it when it breaks.

Camera - We replaced the last one after four years, when it broke. We talked about doing that before we did, but the camera gave out and forced us to. Cameras seem to out date themselves quickly.

Computers - We replace these on a very regular basis due to DH''s hobbies and interests. I would say the desktop gets updated every few months and replaced every two to three years.

Audio - Haven''t had to replace it yet. This is DH''s other hobby so he adds pieces regularly.

MP3 players - When they give out, which is about every three years.

Kettle/Microwave/Fridge/Clothes washer - when they break.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, hubby is into electronics like I''m into jewelry.......nuff said! He''s already eying the new LED TVs.
20.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i don''t own a tv but fi has been eyeing a flat screen

i wait until my computer breaks down

i get a new cell phone every 2 years because i also use verizon

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We got our second flat screen TV in the fall, after my husband broke the one we had by throwing down his game controller and it bounced back up and hit the TV. It was only two years old. Actually, we still use that one in the bedroom since it works perfectly fine, although there''s now a star shaped crack in the screen.

Usually we hold onto something until it breaks and in the case of our phones, when we''re eligible for an upgrade.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased a new TV in Feburary due to the digital conversion. The old TV is 22 years old and still works (for the few stations that still broadcast in Analog).

My cell phone is over 5 years old (I recently replaced the battery), Its predicessor was 3 years old when I retired it after moving into this area becasue it did not have decent coverage (I am sure it would have continued to work well in the Madison/Janesvill aera). I went several years without a cell phone before I got the current one.

I am looking at getting a blackberry bold, or something similar, when it comes out on in a CDMA version as it has the features I want need to move to (3G CDMA). However, I will probably wait until it enters the secondary market before moving ot it (Verizon is pricy - and I can save about $50 per month for the full suit of blackberry, internet, & texting services if I wait until the phone is offered by Cellcom - and get the same network coverage nationwide).

My current laptop computer is over 3 years old; its predicessor was over 5 years old when it started to have minor problems and was replaced (but it still works if I have to recover something off of it). Software obsolences is more of a problem with the computers - and it seems that 5-6 years is the current limit for what I do before I need an upgrade.

So - my answer is when I need to replace something; and if you take care of it - things tend to last for a long time.

I should also point out that I tend to run my cars for over a dozen years as well; but have just purchased a new car a month ago.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I only upgrade when its absolutely necessary.

We got a new TV that supports HD channels because we had to (new regulations). We probably won''t upgrade our DVD player to a Blue Ray until DVDs become obsolete. I won''t get a new laptop until my job takes this one away
3.gif
, which isn''t going to happen since I travel a lot. I had a tape player in my car for a long time and then bought a new car with a CD player. I''m sure eventually I''ll get a MP3 player in there.

I do tend to upgrade my cell phone every two years because Verizon gives me a new one for free every two years. Free stuff is awesome and I take advantage. If I had to pay, I wouldn''t upgrade.

Luckily for me the man in the house feels the same. He didn''t change his cell phone until it literally caught on fire (not flames but smoke started coming out of it). He does upgrade certain computer programs because he''s a music engineer and has to upgrade frequently.

Salix

Rough_Rock
I don''t own a TV because I watch all my shows on my computer.

I upgrade my computer once every 4-5 years or so, which isn''t too bad in my opinion.

I do have a bit of a cell phone upgrading problem, which means I replace my current phone every 1.5 years or so.
32.gif
The nice thing about having an iphone is that I no longer have to buy a music player.

My friend has counted that I have had 9 phones in the past 12 years.

(It''s better than having a heroin problem though, right?)

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Only after squeezing the very last drop of "life" out of them. I got a fancy new LG Dare cell phone, my first "smart phone" last summer...it was the 3rd phone I''ve owned in 12 years? Also the first I actually "bought" as opposed to being part of the package.

My stereo is about 15 years old, works great. The speakers were so tiny when we got them, now they look big and bulky by comparison. They are maybe 8"x4"

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Computers - Usually every other year or so. I''ve had my current computer since November of 2007 and it''s still in great shape. I think I might just get an additional HD installed and maybe some new RAM. However, I really want one of the new HP touchscreen notebooks or the TouchSmart all in one for the kitchen.

Cell Phones - Nate''s dad works for AT&T and we can get a phone at anytime, and he gives us phones as gifts.

TVs- It''ll probably be a while before we buy new TVs because we have all flat screens and the are all 2 years old or less.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think I''d ever qualify as a typical techno geek.

tv... been using the same rear projection tv since 1998!

cellphone... only when the upgrade is free or with a good trade in policy

Ipod... still using the 1st generation Nano. Can''t play 2hrs straight without recharging...lol.

computer... 4yrs and counting

computer games... still having fun on Diablo2 (circa 2000)

In the process of buying a digital camera... likely to go for an older model.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 1:06:57 PM
Author: diamondrnglover
I upgrade when they break
2.gif
Me too. Unless it''s something that''s getting old, that we think might break soon, and we see a "can''t pass up on it" deal...

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
cell phones, ever year. hopefully i finally have the phone that i wont upgrade for at least 2 years
3.gif

TV - we just bought a new one after E owned his for over 5. We went from a 32 to a 42 LCD flat. so we upgraded big time.

computers - every 5 or 7 years. its time for an upgrade now, in fact. I tend to run newer software so i do need a comp to keep up with me

video game consuls - generally about 2 years after they come out. We are still waiting to get a Wii, and we actually "down graded" to a N64. or cube. whatever its called. But we did buy the new playstation so we could have a blue ray DVD.

music - we both have Zunes, E''s is the first one he''s ever had, and mine is upgraded from about 4 years ago from a creative

speakers/stereo - we''re old school on this. I love old receivers and speakers, and fortunately there is a good speaker repair shop in Seattle.

My dad is a techie, so i always grew up wanting the latest and greatest!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Cellphone - Whenever I''m up for an upgrade, or when I break it. I can get an upgrade now, but I like my phone more than the others available, so I''m holding on to it for a little while.

TV - I''ve only had small junky tvs until we bought our big plasma a few years ago. Not sure when we''ll replace it ... probably when it breaks!

Computer - I used to use my computer a lot and would replace it every 3-4 years. Now I only use it to check my email at home, so I''ll hang onto it until it dies.

ipod - I''ve had it for 3 years now and I won''t replace it until it breaks. I only use it a few times a month anyway.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
haha, I couldn''t care less about electronics...as long as my cell phone makes calls and as long as my laptop turns on. I''ve had my laptop since 2001! Basically unheard of according to my husband. I will replace it when it dies, which means money can be spent on prettier, more useful things!
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
UGH, my hubby would all the time, if he could.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results