shape
carat
color
clarity

How (NOT) to buy an engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Lots of advice in this article:

diamond buying guide

My own favourite snippet is this:

"A tip on color: Set the diamond in white gold or platinum, though platinum will set you back a few hundred more than white gold. Either way, setting the stone against silver will make it look clearer than if it''''s against yellow gold. More important, only 40-something Jersey chicks and Midwest trailer trash wear yellow gold these days. Check to make sure you are neither of those and ignore yellow gold. This is not debatable."

but there are sections on cut that will offend equally

The writer claims that he''''s an authority because he used to be a diamond trade journalist.

I feel sorry for his fiancee, who presumably has a big ugly yellow stone. And a smug husband-to-be.

cinn
(wondering whether to be a middle-aged Jersey chick or Midwest trailer trash, ooh, choices, choices ...)

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
29.gif
What a prat!
"No matter what she says when you start dating, when you've reached the point where she's telling her family and friends that you finally found the sack to propose, she wants ice before she says "yes."
What a foul mouth.
14.gif
20.gif
29.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
29.gif
6.gif
38.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is so stupid its funny. LOL

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm......I guess that makes me midwest trailer trash!
38.gif

**Tiffany**

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness, that must be a joke. What an idiot
6.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Now all you have left to think about is [...] saving up for the 10-year anniversary diamond size-up purchase.

Well, at least he got one thing right.
31.gif

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
how incredibly crude!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Crude and ignorant. Yellow gold is steeped in history.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Not to mention warm and lovely.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2005 8:32:39 PM
Author:cinnabar
Lots of advice in this article:

diamond buying guide

More important, only 40-something Jersey chicks and Midwest trailer trash wear yellow gold these days.
I guess make that 40 something English chicks too
29.gif
29.gif
I remember reading this a long time ago and it annoyed me then also. I don''t have to explain my choices in gold colour to anyone and make no apologies for it
38.gif
Truly ignorant remark to make.

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
I am guessing this is just his "style" of writing.... locker-room / drunken boy's night out -type "humour"..... so it doesn't offend me because I can see right through it, and find it laughably stereotypical.

However, filtering out all the crap, I distilled some main points:

- be (somewhat) educated - know what a certificate means and appreciate what it gives you (eg peace-of-mind that what you are buying is what it is supposed to be - ie a diamond)

- balance carat weight with the other c's to get the best stone to the eye, for your budget.

- assuming you have no clue about what your GF likes, round is a "safe" shape (fair enough, I suppose).

- white metal is trendy at the moment (I agree, but
29.gif
29.gif
at the way he gets this across.....).

- yes, a shallower diamond will look bigger, but there is a point at which you will sacrifice looks in another way - through losing fire etc. Be aware of this.

- don't pay for "brand" jewellery - online retailers are just as good.

While there is still a library's worth of information that he needs to learn, if the guys that are going to read the crap this person writes learn only these key points about buying diamonds for their SOs... well, that's a good thing, right??

CLARIFYING NOTE: I am NOT trying to defend him - I still think the author is - or is purposefully doing a flawless impersonation of - a total bogan.
20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I can see that Rae, no worries
35.gif
It is a shame that he felt he had to make cheap shots at people who prefer yellow gold, when his article with a little thought might have had the occasional valuable comment for the consumer
20.gif
14.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
............... err, interesting!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
why doesn''t the link work for me?!?!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It didn''t work for me either MS.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/31/2005 11:10:29 AM
Author: MelissaSue
why doesn''t the link work for me?!?!!

I see what you mean ... it would appear that when a thread is moved, it messes with the embedded links. Hopefully this will fix it for anyone who didn''t access the link from its original location, and still wants to see it:

diamond buying guide

I agree with Lorelei that white gold never really got a foothold in England like it did in the States, although platinum seems to be gaining in popularity over there. I''d hazard a guess at the issue with white gold in Britain being that nickel alloys are not legal, and nickel is the best bleaching agent, so European white gold isn''t as "white". On top of that, we don''t really like the idea of "plated" jewellery; it makes us think of cheap gumball machine rings made of base metal, and plated with gold (or even another base metal). I don''t see the point of having a ring made of one metal (ie white gold) and then plating it with another (ie rhodium). I''d want just the white gold, and if it wasn''t very white but I really wanted white metal, I''d have to have platinum. It''s only a sort of theory though, and I''d be interested to hear of any other Brits'' views on white gold and plating.

I have a sallow/olive skintone myself, and white metal does nothing for me. I''d rather wear what suits me than what''s fashionable - and that''s a bonus for everyone else when it comes to stuff like hipster jeans, which look awesomely bad on me. I wouldn''t want to put people off their food.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~That article was interesting, but some of the comments were rude... there''s nothing wrong with yellow gold!!
29.gif
To me, it seems that if a clueless guy reads that article, he might leave with more questions then he started with... and that''s why there''s Pricescope!!!
2.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, aside from insulting just about everyone he also got quite a bit of factual information wrong.

quote:

Color classifications start at D. (A, B and C were reserved for stones of a higher quality. None have been found yet.) At D we have the Cadillac of diamonds: A colorless stone. E is a little worse and so on, all the way down the line, as the stones gradually take on a yellow tint.

Endquote:

Actually there were a RAFT of systems out there using things like A, AA, AAA etc. GIA started their system at D to get away from all the phony systems missusing these letters without any standards as to what constituted an A, or a AAA.

I also wonder where he lifted his photos. I swear that princess looks familiar, and the color chart he uses is lifted from the fine informational flyer put out by J Landau Inc. I hand it out to clients in my office, so I know it is taken without permission from J. Landau

I think the one thing that surprises me is that with his plug for Blue Nile that he is not using an affiliate URL to get credit and the commission that they pay for people who hawk their site. When I saw the plug I instantly looked for it, assuming that this was the purpose of featuring them. It would appear that he just likes to talk dirty and impress people. Strange, but I am sure there is a nitche of people who find it fascinating...

Wink

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is a shame he chooses to use curse words in his piece too. No need for that, it is funny he is so concerned about yellow gold being vulgar and tacky........

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2005 11:14:15 PM
Author: Catmom
Hmmmm......I guess that makes me midwest trailer trash!
38.gif

I know, I looked down at my finger that has my ruby and 2 diamond ring in gold gold like "hey!"

Brando

Rough_Rock
Funny. It''s like a bonehead guy''s quick tips to diamond buying. Innaccurate and full of lots of opinnions but there are a few nuggets for the novice gem buyer to pick up.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/31/2005 5:07:26 PM
Author: Brando
Funny. It''s like a bonehead guy''s quick tips to diamond buying. Innaccurate and full of lots of opinnions but there are a few nuggets for the novice gem buyer to pick up.

Hmmm, I wonder ... a bonehead guy seems unlikely to know what''s hot and what''s not with regard to white or yellow gold. It''s not something most guys are really informed about. I wonder if he was fishing to find out what his girlfriend liked best, and she was all snippy about it, saying "Only trailer trash wears yellow gold". Oh well, if that''s the case then they''re a well-suited couple
20.gif

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you go into it knowing that it will be rude, it's ok. I thought it was funny, untrue and crude, but still funny... I guess I have a dark and dry sense of humor?
11.gif

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Wow I just learned that I must be trailer trash from the Midwest....another wrinkle in the brain! Excuse me while I go eat my cereal and water
face13.gif

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
In 15 years he'll be saying....Whatever you do, don't do white metals!! ONly middle aged Jersey chicks wear cheesy white gold especially with crappy pave...

That would be me!!

So excuse me as I help my future jersey husband get that chevy up on cinder blocks in the front yard. But trust me. WHen I get tired , I will take a rest on that sofa on the front porch.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results