shape
carat
color
clarity

How necessary are outer envelopes?!

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so I know the deal with inner/outer envelopes, and I get that it is traditional, more formal, fancier, etc. I ordered (well, placed a deposit) on some invites on Etsy and do like the design. There is no outer envelope, nor is the inner envelope lined. I guess perhaps I should have waited, but time is getting tight, and I do like the design. No they aren''t fancy letterpress on Crane''s paper, no they aren''t fancy pocketfolds with custom seals, etc. I wish I had room in my budget for such luxuries, but I don''t.
32.gif

That being said, surely I''m not the only one without fancy outer envelopes or lined ones or otherwise luxurious invites. I''m feeling a bit down about it, like my guests will feel like what I''ve chosen isn''t "good" enough, and I hate feeling like this. The wedding will be a beautiful event, regardless of whether I have outer envelopes, right??

So, I want to do what I can to jazz up the ones I''ve ordered. Should I purchase outer envelopes separately? What are some places I could do so? Is there a way to make envelope lines myself so that if I forego outer envelopes, I can at least make the one envelope as fancy as possible?? The envelopes are a pewter gray, so there won''t be any showing through, but I do want to make them look as nice as possible.

Any thoughts?
7.gif

caroleena

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I know, it''s such an unnecessary extra expense, but they do seem to be "typical" with wedding invites.

I saw this idea once, and I think I''m going to do it when the time comes (it looked great, and adds such a personal touch to the invites). Get a nice picture of the two of you (engagement shoot picture if you have one), and size it, print, and cut a little bit smaller than the inside lining of the envelope (or where the lining would be if the envelopes aren''t lined). Glue it in, and voila! A beautiful, personalized, envelope liner :)

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
I''m a big stationary gal. I love the stuff. My only concern would be that if you purchase an outer envelope, it may not be a perfect match to your inner envelope. Although, you could always use a contrasting or accent color. I would just google the dimensions of the size that you need and see what deals you can find online. Also, try going into an art or stationary shop and seeing if they have something that matchs. Then, go home and see if you can find the same product online for less.

As far as the lining goes. I have never done it but seems like it would be a pretty easy albiet time consuming DIY project. Check out this link for DIY instructions for creating your own lining.

Best of luck! Remember to post pictures.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well you have to have an outer envelope so you can address and post the invitations.
3.gif

I understand what you mean, though--your invites won't have inner envelopes. That's FINE. Nobody will notice, and if they do, they won't remember that you didn't have inner envelopes the day after they toss the outer ones into the recycle bin. Seriously, it's OKAY!

You couldn't really buy a larger envelope to place the ones you already purchased into because inner envelopes are different than outer envelopes, so you'd end up with two outer envelopes instead of one inner and one outer per invite. (Inner envelopes are ungummed.)

I'm one of those crazy people who has dreamed of having engraved Crane's invitations her entire life, so that's what we had for our wedding. We had the lined inner envelopes and everything. And I loved them. But guess what? I bet NOBODY ELSE EVEN NOTICED THEM! They were all for me.

Just go with what I'm sure are your beautiful hand crafted etsy invites, and then you can happily cross this item off your to do list!

ETA: I realize that stationers call them outer envelopes when you place your order, by the way. I just had a funny image in my head of invites being sent without an envelope. Bah--nevermind. Stationery nerd humor. I hope you understand I was being tongue in cheek. Either way, you don't need two envelopes!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have outer envelopes. I''m just mailing them with "Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Family" on the outside. I know it''s not traditional, but it''s what we''re doing. I got mine from Etsy and the seller just doesn''t do outer and inner envelopes.

If anyone says anything, just say "I care about the environment so I''m excluding unnecessary paper." Who can complain about that?
3.gif

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I hear you MagsyMay. I ordered invitations from Wedding Paper Divas, and I couldn''t justify a second envelope. The invitations are adorable, and I''m just hoping everyone will see the invitation and completely forget there was no inner envelope. There are so many things associated with weddings that people do just because it is "tradition," but not really necessary.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Gahhh thank you for your replies. I didn't even realize inner envelopes were ungummed?!?! Thanks for pointing that out Haven!
14.gif
So does that mean the ones on the inside aren't sealed? I seriously don't even NOTICE!!! I guess I wasn't realizing how important invitations are supposed to be. I'd say I'm an extremely observant and fairly critical person in general, (I wouldn't say judgmental, ha, I just notice things!), and honestly this didn't even cross my mind. I wouldn't say I have been to a ton of weddings in my life actually, and really haven't started paying attention to this stuff until I started planning my own and reading forums!

I would say my wedding is being held at a very nice venue with very nice catering and such, but I'm not super traditional when it comes to weddings and don't want things to be overly stuffy or formal (i.e. each only having one attendant, my MOH is wearing a knee-length dress even though it is an evening wedding, outdoor ceremony, non-religious, no tuxes for groom/men, no veil for me, etc). My FI's side of the family are all from extremely small towns and most people are barely aware typical wedding customs (so he says) and he thinks nothing of it. Our wedding will be over the top fancy in the big city of Chicago as far as they are concerned! Again, those are his words, I'm not trying to be snobby! (duh, like I have any right to be!!!)

I do not think my friends will judge me, and although some of my parents' friends are very well-to-do, everyone is extremely unpretentious and that isn't really something people would whisper or gossip about or think down on us for. Sure some older people may, although we do have very few older "traditional" relatives even attending, so who knows.

Am I TOTALLY over analyzing this or getting too caught up in what other people will think?? Please say yes
32.gif
I'm super stressed about a million other things right now, namely trying to relocate back to Chicago, find a job, an apartment, etc. before my September wedding, my beloved family dog just passed away unexpectedly, and my amazing grandfather is dying of congestive heart failure... you get the point!!!!!!!!!!
7.gif

ETA: Oh, and for reference, these are the invites I've selected... http://www.etsy.com/listing/21383533/modern-orchid-invitations-25 (I'm sure a failure, I don't even know how to make links clickable after all this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear about your dog and your grandfather.

I really and truly think the invitations you picked out are beautiful. I don''t think anyone will notice or care whether there is an outer envelope. If they do, well, then *they* can get plain ecru cards with five zillion envelopes when they get married.
3.gif

Seriously, the invites are lovely. People are really going to enjoy receiving them.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
do not stress or worry about this for one.more.minute. they are fine in just one envelope, i promise! as haven said, the envelopes end up immediately in the trash anyway! no one will have a second thought & if by some weird chance they do (they won''t), who gives a rat''s a$$? you have bigger fish to fry than a silly inner envelope :)

your invites are gorgeous btw!!

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
My etsy invites don''t have inner/outer envelopes either. I just bought some large off-white envelopes at Office Max (with the peel and stick, YAY no licking) and i''m putting them inside those. I know the "inner envelope" will then be gummed, but I was just going to get some small cute stickers to lightly seal it with rather than sealing the inner envelope fully as well. I found some ones made of tiny pressed flowers that I''ll probably use.

My main concern with inner/outer envelopes was more protective, since the etsy seller''s envelopes are made of brown kraft paper and I''m concerned the ink on them may bleed if they get wet. I don''t care if they don''t match, nothing in my wedding matches haha!
3.gif
Some of these "wedding rules" that I''ve run into seem totally arbitrary to me.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
totally do what you like, it will be lovely!

If you want to jazz them up you could line the inside of the envelope with some beautiful paper (I love the chigoyami japanese paper) but IMO inner envelopes are a waste of $ and paper so I think it''s great when people don''t use them.

We got really inexpensive pocketfolds on sale at cardsandpockets.com and used them (also a waste of paper, but I liked them:) but other than that, our invite went into the outer envelope, no separate inner envelope.

My BBF just got married and her invites came off of Etsy, they were gorgeous, but also didn''t have an inner envelope.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We didn''t use outer envelopes. Instead I used colored vellum to line the main envelopes and it looked great and added some heft to the packet.

HH invitation 2 lined envelope 1.jpg

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I am not using two envelopes either, and I actually care a lot about my stationery. For me, it's mostly that the non-American invitees would actually think it really strange to receive two envelopes, so it kind of defeats the purpose of doing something extra-nice. I did get lined mailing envelopes, however.

ETA: one thing I'm doing is fold tissue paper around each invite set. My stationer recommends it for some reason, and I also think it looks nice. You could toy around with that idea.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 10:00:09 AM
Author: ts44
My etsy invites don''t have inner/outer envelopes either. I just bought some large off-white envelopes at Office Max (with the peel and stick, YAY no licking) and i''m putting them inside those. I know the ''inner envelope'' will then be gummed, but I was just going to get some small cute stickers to lightly seal it with rather than sealing the inner envelope fully as well. I found some ones made of tiny pressed flowers that I''ll probably use.

My main concern with inner/outer envelopes was more protective, since the etsy seller''s envelopes are made of brown kraft paper and I''m concerned the ink on them may bleed if they get wet. I don''t care if they don''t match, nothing in my wedding matches haha!
3.gif
Some of these ''wedding rules'' that I''ve run into seem totally arbitrary to me.
Just an FYI--You don''t usually seal inner envelopes at all, so you don''t even have to bother with the stickers! (Although I''m sure they''re adorable!)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 12:34:13 AM
Author: MagsyMay
Gahhh thank you for your replies. I didn''t even realize inner envelopes were ungummed?!?! Thanks for pointing that out Haven!
14.gif
So does that mean the ones on the inside aren''t sealed? I seriously don''t even NOTICE!!! I guess I wasn''t realizing how important invitations are supposed to be. I''d say I''m an extremely observant and fairly critical person in general, (I wouldn''t say judgmental, ha, I just notice things!), and honestly this didn''t even cross my mind. I wouldn''t say I have been to a ton of weddings in my life actually, and really haven''t started paying attention to this stuff until I started planning my own and reading forums!

I would say my wedding is being held at a very nice venue with very nice catering and such, but I''m not super traditional when it comes to weddings and don''t want things to be overly stuffy or formal (i.e. each only having one attendant, my MOH is wearing a knee-length dress even though it is an evening wedding, outdoor ceremony, non-religious, no tuxes for groom/men, no veil for me, etc). My FI''s side of the family are all from extremely small towns and most people are barely aware typical wedding customs (so he says) and he thinks nothing of it. Our wedding will be over the top fancy in the big city of Chicago as far as they are concerned! Again, those are his words, I''m not trying to be snobby! (duh, like I have any right to be!!!)

I do not think my friends will judge me, and although some of my parents'' friends are very well-to-do, everyone is extremely unpretentious and that isn''t really something people would whisper or gossip about or think down on us for. Sure some older people may, although we do have very few older ''traditional'' relatives even attending, so who knows.

Am I TOTALLY over analyzing this or getting too caught up in what other people will think?? Please say yes
32.gif
I''m super stressed about a million other things right now, namely trying to relocate back to Chicago, find a job, an apartment, etc. before my September wedding, my beloved family dog just passed away unexpectedly, and my amazing grandfather is dying of congestive heart failure... you get the point!!!!!!!!!!
7.gif

ETA: Oh, and for reference, these are the invites I''ve selected... http://www.etsy.com/listing/21383533/modern-orchid-invitations-25 (I''m sure a failure, I don''t even know how to make links clickable after all this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
I''m so sorry to hear about your beloved pup and grandfather, MagsyMay. Big hugs.

Now--You are TOTALLY over analyzing this! Don''t worry about it. People probably won''t notice. I come from super traditional, old school stock (when it comes to social affairs, at least) and I bet they wouldn''t have noticed if we didn''t have the inner envelopes. Seriously, it''s OKAY.

Your invites are gorgeous. Your wedding will be beautiful. And if anyone says "I cannot BELIEVE she didn''t have inner envelopes" well--the most I can say about them here on PS is that they just aren''t worth your worry, IMO.

And besides, the fact that you''re having a September Chicago wedding means that it will most definitely be beautiful. This is, after all, one of the greatest cities in the world.
2.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 10:19:30 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
We didn''t use outer envelopes. Instead I used colored vellum to line the main envelopes and it looked great and added some heft to the packet.
HH--Did you add that vellum yourself? If so, awesome job. It looks great.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 10:47:16 AM
Author: mscushion
I am not using two envelopes either, and I actually care a lot about my stationery. For me, it''s mostly that the non-American invitees would actually think it really strange to receive two envelopes, so it kind of defeats the purpose of doing something extra-nice. I did get lined mailing envelopes, however.

ETA: one thing I''m doing is fold tissue paper around each invite set. My stationer recommends it for some reason, and I also think it looks nice. You could toy around with that idea.
Are your invitations engraved? Most engraved invitations come with a piece of tissue placed over the invite so they don''t smudge. That''s how mine came. HOWEVER--If you do have engraved invites and your stationer didn''t provide the tissue, I''d be asking questions. They should really provide that.

Some people still use the tissue with invites printed using thermography or Letterpress, but it isn''t necessary at all because there''s no chance they''ll smudge. It''s one of those holdovers from engraving, and I think some people believe it will make them look nicer.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 11:25:31 AM
Author: Haven

Date: 5/6/2010 10:00:09 AM
Author: ts44
My etsy invites don''t have inner/outer envelopes either. I just bought some large off-white envelopes at Office Max (with the peel and stick, YAY no licking) and i''m putting them inside those. I know the ''inner envelope'' will then be gummed, but I was just going to get some small cute stickers to lightly seal it with rather than sealing the inner envelope fully as well. I found some ones made of tiny pressed flowers that I''ll probably use.

3.gif
Some of these ''wedding rules'' that I''ve run into seem totally arbitrary to me.
Just an FYI--You don''t usually seal inner envelopes at all, so you don''t even have to bother with the stickers! (Although I''m sure they''re adorable!)
Haha yeah I know, but the envelopes are stiff and I can''t seem to get the flap to fold down inside the envelope without far too much mussing and crinkling, and I think the envelope looks kind of messy with the flap just hanging open like that. Well obviously the envelope wouldn''t hang open while it''s in the outer envelope but once you take it out it''s like SPROING HI! These are the stickers: Pressed Flower Stickers They''re really little! There''s actually a lot of great stuff on that site for DIY invites and things if you search around.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those pressed flower stickers are precious. I love them.
Definitely a better option than the SPROING HI! That made me laugh out loud!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 11:34:23 AM
Author: Haven
Date: 5/6/2010 10:47:16 AM
Author: mscushion
I am not using two envelopes either, and I actually care a lot about my stationery. For me, it''s mostly that the non-American invitees would actually think it really strange to receive two envelopes, so it kind of defeats the purpose of doing something extra-nice. I did get lined mailing envelopes, however.
ETA: one thing I''m doing is fold tissue paper around each invite set. My stationer recommends it for some reason, and I also think it looks nice. You could toy around with that idea.
Are your invitations engraved? Most engraved invitations come with a piece of tissue placed over the invite so they don''t smudge. That''s how mine came. HOWEVER--If you do have engraved invites and your stationer didn''t provide the tissue, I''d be asking questions. They should really provide that.
Some people still use the tissue with invites printed using thermography or Letterpress, but it isn''t necessary at all because there''s no chance they''ll smudge. It''s one of those holdovers from engraving, and I think some people believe it will make them look nicer.
Yes, mine are letterpress. I think it''s a holdover from engraving, as you are saying, Haven. And I do think it looks quite nice, particularly if you are forgoing the double envelopes.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You might want to find a paper supply shop. One that deals in bulk with commercial clients. As a graphic designer I have bought many boxes of envelopes in all sizes and the shops often times have extras from a larger job available. Look for a paper supplier.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I didn't do fancy envelopes or outer envelopes. Just one, regular old envelope. I don't think a single person noticed.

Really, it's the kind of detail that only brides notice. If you're having a platinum wedding, then maybe they're necessary, but for the average wedding nobody is going to notice or care. Really.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry about it-I swear no one will notice! I didn''t have them, either. I did letterpress invites and it was an option but I just didn''t feel like shelling out the cash because they''re pretty pointless. I''m actually a fan of many wedding traditions even though I''m not particularly traditional, but that one didn''t make the cut!
3.gif

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your input!! I do like the idea of doing liners (or possibly just buying outer envelopes, even though the inner would be gummed) and you guys have given great suggestions! I am going to see what I can do! I still think most people will hardly notice, but I hate feeling insecure about this!

Deep breaths, deep breaths, all will be just fine, right!
40.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results