Votes: 3 10.0%
  • $300-$400

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • $400+

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
How much were your alterations? I feel like mine are ridiculous,they came to $395. I wanted to see if this is to much.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Mine were $80, I believe.

I had about an inch taken in on each side of the waist and about a half in on each side of the bust. That was all.

If the seamstress has to do anything to the hem, I think that is when it gets expensive. That and any type of beading or lace.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I live in a major city and mine came to $135 for a seamstress that works out of her home. This included hem, taking top, waist, and hips in, adding spaghetti straps, bra hooks, tacking on sash, and bustle (don't know type). My dress was fairly simple though and only had 2 layers.

daydreamer

Rough_Rock
If it makes you feel any better, my alterations for a dress without lace or beading in a high cost of living area were $375. That included the hem (including changing from chapel length train to sweep train), taking the bust in a size, a 3 point bustle and pressing.

The woman had her own, not particularly upscale, shop that she worked out of.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Alterations were included in the cost of my dress. You paid the same amount that I paid for my dress.

ETA: We shortened the sleeves (it's a nearly off-the-shoulder dress), shortened the hem, and added a bustle.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Mine were $331.

Hemmed, cups sewed in, 7 point + 2 snaps (so 9 connections, and it was priced per connection...) bustle, and then I had the back/side taken down about an inch which required removing and cutting down the ton of the boning a bit, as well as the hips taken in an inch or so...

The woman worked out of her home is is very reasonable, I think I just got carried away asking for things I probably didn't need in hopes of making it perfect!

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I think mine were $400. The salon I bought the dress from offers alterations at a flat rate for their couture gowns, or you can take the gown as-is and get it altered somewhere else. I thought the fee was a little steep and was wondering if I'd even NEED $400 worth of alterations, briefly considered taking it elsewhere, then decided what the heck, it's my wedding dress, I might as well use their expert seamstress. At the end, I think it ended up being about that much and the seamstress did a fantastic job. In addition to all the taking in and hemming she had to do, the dress ended up needing a 15-point bustle and two snaps. She also lengthened the boning to keep the bodice up better. I have no idea what is involved with that process but it worked. Totally worth it!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
exactly $421. The skirt just need to be taken in an inch. The top is a monique lhuillier alencon lace top and about 4 sizes to big so she has a lot of careful work to do, so the price makes sense to me, although still painful.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
about 600 I believe.

Dress needed sleeves and hem to be lengthened (which involved finding matching fabric), taken out in the chest and neck. Very lacy dress, hand-made w/ pearl beading, so we wanted to make sure the tailor knew what he was doing, I'm sure we paid a price for it but the dress turned out beautifully ::)

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
I feel much better about the price of my alterations now.

I am having bra cups sewn in, a french bustle, boning added in the side seams, hemmed (lace at the bottom), adjusting the top (way to big),and it will be pressed as well.

I just wanted to make sure mine were not completely out of range.I was like omg! when I saw the price lol.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
I'd be happy with 400 =) depending on how much it gets altered.

I'm so picky that I found my dress... I just want the entire silhouette changed and want it taken in about 8 sizes and well as adding a bustle. She quoted me about $500. (not to mention an extra $80 for cleaning on top of it)

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Mine were $170, had to be let out a tiny bit on both sides, pretty simple bustle added, and cups added.

princessk731

Rough_Rock
Mine were only $200.00 and I about hit the floor. My dress had to be remade. I lost about 50 lbs. between the time it was ordered and the time it was fitted. Which was great for me. The woman who did them is AMAZING I thought it was going to cost me about $600.00 from all I had read but the bustle the hemming and the sizing was all done for $200.00 ohh and my veil came in to long and she shortened that for me also :) I felt pretty lucky

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Amizzle- I think what they are charging you is about exact for what you are getting done.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
princessk731 said:
Mine were only $200.00 and I about hit the floor. My dress had to be remade. I lost about 50 lbs. between the time it was ordered and the time it was fitted. Which was great for me. The woman who did them is AMAZING I thought it was going to cost me about $600.00 from all I had read but the bustle the hemming and the sizing was all done for $200.00 ohh and my veil came in to long and she shortened that for me also :) I felt pretty lucky

Is she in the DC area? :$$):

princessk731

Rough_Rock
Cinna - sorry it took me so long...life is crazy...I wish I could say she was but she is in Louisiana :) Hope you are able to find someone as wonderful where you are I know that the dress fitting is one thing that I was the most stressed about.

emilyalyse

Rough_Rock
I was very lucky. Not only did I find my gown on the final sale rack ($199! woo!... originally :-o ), but the salon I used has a simple alterations policy... buy your gown there, and any/all alterations you need (along with a final pressing and cleaning before you pick it up) was $150 flat-fee. I ended up needing it hemmed (a lot, as I'm 5'3"), taken in (and then subsequently let out a hair as she went a bit overboard around the hips), and the beading had to be re-done to fit the new lines of the dress, as well as having a simple bustle put in.

Here's a couple shots of the dress, just for an idea of what they had to work with (beading, pleats, etc.). Anywhere else, I'm sure my alterations would have been LOADS higher.

008.jpg
58703_435888618236_507133236_5420192_4835462_n.jpg

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Around 350 - hemming (chiffon overlay, so 2 outer, visible layers), cups, take in the bust, take in the hips, and a 14-point bustle (7 for chiffon and 7 for the satin underneath).

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Mine were over $200 just for shortening the hem, a super-simple bustle (1 button sewn to the back of the dress) and sewing in bra-strap-holders in the back. Ridiculous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results