shape
carat
color
clarity

How much time are you taking off before the wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Hi Girls

Just wondering, how much time are you giving yourself between your last day of work and the ''big day''? And why?

The reason I am asking is I''ve found myself in a little dilemma. I currently teach in a high school but it is an alternative program that runs year-round due to the population of students we teach. That means I can choose my time off in the summer...it''s great and I decided to schedule a week off before the wedding and a few weeks after for honeymoon etc.--fine, great. HOWEVER, I have the opportunity to take a new position (it''s more to my liking, the pay is much higher and it is the job I am really qualified for) problem is, the last day of work before summer break is literally 2 days before the wedding! Since I''ll be new to the position, and teachers have amazing summer holidays, I would never ask take additional time off and it''s not really feasible anyway. What would you guys do? I am pretty organized and have the ''big'' plans out of the way, but with a new job and all the other stuff on my plate, it''s gonna be a lot to handle. At the same time, I don''t want to sacrifice my career and opportunities just for a single wedding day. Eeek, i hate decisions like this.....

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i only took of the thursday and friday before my saturday wedding - so, that's only 2 days. for me it was enough time. yes, i would have like longer, but 2 days were fine. i was very organized though, so i didn't have a lot on my plate the week before the wedding. i think you job is more important in the long run. a wedding is only one day. your career path is more along the lines of a lifetime.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I also only took 2 days (the thursday and friday before). I had a lot of last minute things since I dont live where we got married, but things worked out perfect... lots of family around to help out. So if you have everything under control, I say it should be smooth sailing for you... take the new position!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
jcrow~ i was looking at your wedding photos, beautiful! Where did you get your dress, and do you mind me asking the format for your wedding day? was it early church and then afternoon reception? we are also having a fall wedding with early church so I''m curious.

as for time off..i''m expecting to take thurs and maybe fri off only too..as it gets closer i may change my mind and want the whole week! taking a 2 wk honeymoon though, so don''t want to take too many days prior to wedding..

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I had a Sunday wedding and I finished work at 5pm the Friday before. The wedding was out of town about 3 hours away. We definitely needed the Saturday for last minute things, but other than that I never felt like I needed time off before the wedding. It was worth it to save my time for the honeymoon and other things later that year.

I can't say I was super productive at work the week before my wedding, but at least I didn't have to take the vacation time.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I only took 2 days and I wish I had taken 3.
Our wedding was on a Saturday afternoon in my hometown- 3 hour train ride from where I live/work. I took Thursday and Friday off and ended up getting into Baltimore (location of wedding) Thursday a little after 1 because of Amtrak delays.
I had things to deal w/ like dropping off out of towner bags at 2 hotels, finalizing table arrangements and dropping off place cards at reception venue, dropping off programs at the florist so she could take them to the church, etc. Also we had rehearsal and rehearsal dinner on Friday...
I think one more day would have really helped me be more relaxed on Friday and the big day. I really wasn''t calm until I got in the car w/ my parents to go to the church because there were so many things to do and people asking so many questions- if I could have "blocked" some people out (like my mother-in-law) it would have been much calmer.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I''m flying out Thursday to Hawaii for my Saturday wedding and I''ll have stopped working on Tuesday. I''m also taking classes, the wedding is during spring break, so I''m considering asking my professors if I can take my midterms on Monday not Wednesday as I''d prefer to have a full day with nothing to do but get ready for the trip and the wedding!
5.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 11:21:26 AM
Author: janinegirly
jcrow~ i was looking at your wedding photos, beautiful! Where did you get your dress, and do you mind me asking the format for your wedding day? was it early church and then afternoon reception? we are also having a fall wedding with early church so I''m curious.

as for time off..i''m expecting to take thurs and maybe fri off only too..as it gets closer i may change my mind and want the whole week! taking a 2 wk honeymoon though, so don''t want to take too many days prior to wedding..
funny, now that i think about it, i changed jobs before the wedding too. best decision ever.

thanks! i got my bridal gown at louise blum in houston. we got married at 1:30 in the afternoon at the cathedral. the reception followed at about 2 pm in the afternoon and was finished about 5:45 or 6, just as the sun was setting. we were exhasted! i''m glad we didn''t have a night wedding.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Originally I thought I wanted to take a week off before the wedding, since it isn''t local, but now that I''m looking at my ''projected leave'' spreadsheet, plus the honeymoon and the couple of days between the wedding and honeymoon, then add in how bored I was at home over Christmas... I think I may revise that a bit. I just have to trust my family to do some stuff for me.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I took Wed, Thurs, Fri off before my Sat wedding. I had plenty of time to do the little things I needed to do, but mostly the time was spent finishing up the programs and then getting my nails done Friday, along with the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
My last full day of work will be the friday, one week before the wedding. We will be spending sat. and sun. in south florida with my maid of honor and her hubby (our closest friends) to just relax.. and then we fly up to North Florida for the wedding week. Since we live out of the country.. we have many things to do pre-wedding.. like get our marriage license which has a three day wait period... and we cannot get it any sooner than the monday before. Being out of the country has not allowed me to do all the normal things brides would do.. so that week before.. I have to do my first hair trial... etc. I also have a meeting with my planner to discuss weather.. we will have to make a decision about the weather forecast and see if we want to have a tent.. ughhh

So.. my case is a little special.. but we will be taking the whole week before off!!! Cant wait.

E B

Ideal_Rock
We''re getting married in a different state than we live in, so we''ll be taking more time off.

I graduate from college in June (whoo hoo!) and will start my internship shortly after. Both FH and I have agreed it''s ridiculous for me to look for a job before the wedding (September 29th) because our honeymoon (October) is looking like it''ll be 2 weeks long. Therefore, I''ll probably fly to Texas a week before to get everything settled, while he''ll probably fly in two days before.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I''m only taking off one day before my wedding. My wedding''s on a Saturday and I''ll be taking Friday off. I live in OH but am getting married in PA, so I''ll drive to PA Thursday night. I really can''t see needing more time than that. It''s not like we''ll be able to get into the site to decorate until the day before anyway.

radiantgirl

Shiny_Rock
I''m taking off the Wednesday before my wedding, so that''s 3 days. We are having 3 ceremonies and a reception on the same day, so I think I need that extra time to make sure everything is in it''s place, etc. I''m taking off a total of 2.5 weeks for the wedding and honeymoon.

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
I''m taking off the whole week prior to the wedding because it''s a DW

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Ditto. I''m a DW''er

I finish work Friday, get on the plane that night and then marry the following Thursday!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i planned to take a week off before the wedding because we were going to hawaii a week early to make sure everything was all setup and to meet our guests out there 3 days before etc since it was a destination wedding. but my team at work ended up being dissolved a month before the wedding so i was laid off which ended up being awesome because (A) i was going to find a new job when i got back from my honeymoon anyway and (B) i got an awesome severance package which basically gave me a ton of time to find a new job. so i had a month off before the wedding and i actually used almost every minute of it!! there's so much more to do than you expect at the time. we were gone for 3 weeks total between wedding and honeymoon. then when we came back i took 1.5 months to find a new job. it could not have worked out better timing wise!!
5.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I only took 2 days (Thursday and Friday) before the wedding. I started a new job 5 months before so I didn''t want to use up a lot of vacation time on pre-wedding days. It was enough time for us. We didn''t have that many things to do right before the wedding.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I took a week off before the wedding. It was definitely a big help.
1.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
hey

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like most people only take a few days off prior, so that makes me feel better...if you can all do it (and pull off amazing weddings) than i am sure I can too ;-)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, because I''m going to be busy I''m only taking off wed night thur friday before the saturday wedding. I''m not having a hair trial, I''m doing my own nails and makeup...it should be okay. eek. I''m not that picky about hair and I trust my stylist, so it should be okay. I''m going to call up all the vendors tuesday or earlier just to make sure everything is okay so that I don''t have to do this the day before the wedding.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''ll probably take a couple of days off before and a few days after. We are thinking of having a mini honeymoon straight after somewhere nice in the uk like Lyme Regis (mmmm fossils!) or the Lake District and then having a 2 week honeymoon a couple of months later.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I originally wasn't going to take off ANY time before the wedding! However, I ended up catching a horrible cold/flu bug the week before and had to visit the Dr. who gave me a note to excuse me from work for the week, thank goodness. I'm sure everything would've worked out fine had I worked through that week, but it did free up some time to do some last-minute things I might not have gotten the chance to do myself otherwise. Thankfully I had saved up all my vacation days knowing I might need them around the wedding time so it was all paid time off as well.

ETA: I took a week off immediately after the wedding for the honeymoon, so there was my two weeks' vacay in one shot! Fortunately we got married in Sept. so it wasn't like I had a whole year ahead of me with no PTO left.

Clarygrace

Shiny_Rock
Jas:
Since our wedding will be in Europe, we are actually leaving 12 days before to vacation with family/friends for a week. We arrive 5 days before the big day (to do last minute stuff and take care of paperwork at court house) at our wedding destination and leave 2 days after the wedding (labor day) to get back to work/school for kids.

We''ll be gone a total of two weeks for vacation & wedding combined. Therefore, lots of luggage, caravaning cars, logistics (read hearding cats!) but most of all, lots of fun and sharing with those we love most! We are so blessed to have our family & friends join us on this great adventure, we''re not worrying about the cost or toll on our sanity!
35.gif

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results