shape
carat
color
clarity

How much shipping generally cost to return purchased jewelry back to vendor?

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi fellow Psers.

I’m asking this because I have never really return before but I was quoted $100 shipping and 3% restocking fees. I’m aware of the restocking fees I’m the return policy clause but $100 on overnight shipping? And this is within one hour of me looking at the item. Is is common or am I a decade behind?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
whats the value of the item? could be necessary added insurance?
did the return policy state all returns needed to be NDA? Could it be 2day Instead?
I don’t think you looking at the item for an hour before you decided to return it has any impact on this.

im sorry your purchase didn’t work out.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
whats the value of the item? could be necessary added insurance?
did the return policy state all returns needed to be NDA? Could it be 2day Instead?
I don’t think you looking at the item for an hour before you decided to return it has any impact on this.

im sorry your purchase didn’t work out.

Value at $1500. What is NDA?

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
yes it will be next day overnight
do you think its rude if i ask vendor?

It just kinda turn me off on any future purchase which I also felt I was pushed toward rather than a true return
Next Day Air (overnight)

That seems kinda high. I sent something myself and insured at $10k with one day shipping and it cost about $100.

Last edited:

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
I just sent back my studs ($5k value) to Whiteflash for an upgrade. They specifically asked me to send it with USPS registered mail because it has insurance for it. It’s slow (5business days) but since insurance is included its quite cheap, for me I think I paid $33-$36.

I think this is more expected.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If next day shipping /100 flat fee isn’t detailed in the vendors return policy, no I don’t think it’s rude to ask if second day shipping is an option.
Also, I’m curious, was the shipping to you ‘free’ ? Does shipping cross any country borders?
If it’s not detailed in vendors return policy that you need to use their return shipping label, you might ask if it’s possible to ship in your own - but be aware - onus is on you if anything should go wrong. Is it worth it? If a vendor is this difficult, I would just play by their rules and move on to other vendor and not look back.
Who is the vendor, if you don’t mind?
It just kinda turn me off on any future purchase which I also felt I was pushed toward rather than a true return
What does this mean? Store credit?

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
If next day shipping /100 flat fee isn’t detailed in the vendors return policy, no I don’t think it’s rude to ask if second day shipping is an option.
Also, I’m curious, was the shipping to you ‘free’ ? Does shipping cross any country borders?
If it’s not detailed in vendors return policy that you need to use their return shipping label, you might ask if it’s possible to ship in your own - but be aware - onus is on you if anything should go wrong. Is it worth it? If a vendor is this difficult, I would just play by their rules and move on to other vendor and not look back.
Who is the vendor, if you don’t mind?

What does this mean? Store credit?

Yes. So they did confirm $50 to buyer and $50 back to seller is the reason why return is $100. It would be nicer if this fee was disclose.

Thanks for your help. I’m going to return this and move on. :boohoo:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think $100 for both ways is fairly typical. I recently paid $120 each way for overnighting a diamond to a vendor with their label (insured).

But when sending a jewelry item of value over $5k as an individual, USPS Registered Mail is the only safe, insured option.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
But when sending a jewelry item of value over $5k as an individual, USPS Registered Mail is the only safe, insured option.

how come USPS is the only safe insured option? I notice that most vendors when they send favor UPS or Fedex. Just curious. And $100 does sound really expensive! I would ask if I could use a slower but still reliable method.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
how come USPS is the only safe insured option? I notice that most vendors when they send favor UPS or Fedex. Just curious. And $100 does sound really expensive! I would ask if I could use a slower but still reliable method.

With UPS or FedEx the vendors have third party insurance I guess. FedEx itself doesn’t have insurance in the package we’re sending, only USPS registered mail does.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results