shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does your finger size change by, depending on the weather, your weight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine fluctuates by about half a size, depending on the climate/ humidity, how much weight I''ve lost/ gained.

I hate that my diamond looks smaller when my finger swells up!
7.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I fluctuate about half a size from the morning when my hands are swollen to the evening when they''ve chilled out. Warm weather also makes the rings Waaay too snug!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
1/4 size when it is warm/cold... but will drastically change just by the airconditioning!

And sometimes 1/2 a size if I had a night of sushi and beer... that REALLY makes me hold some water!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine changes with humidity! I went to put a ring that usually fits my middle finger on this morning and had to put it on my ring finger because my hands were swollen. It''s been warm and damp here the past couple days and that seems to have an effect on my body!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d say 1/4-1/2 for high humidity/extreme cold.

And please, your diamonds could never look small.
11.gif

9.gif
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 9:20:40 AM
Author: Ellen
I''d say 1/4-1/2 for high humidity/extreme cold.

And please, your diamonds could never look small.
11.gif

9.gif
2.gif
No way!
41.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
From 5.85/6 in winter to a 6.25/6.5 in Summer and slightly larger in the morning ;-)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I fluctuate about a half size, perhaps 3/4 of one if its really really cold out.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Half a size, easy - if we''re talking "from out of the freezing cold" to "hey, you''re bloated in August!" we could easily make it a full size, I think.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
1/4 to a 1/2 size depending. 1/2 size in the summer..

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 11:40:59 AM
Author: Circe
Half a size, easy - if we''re talking ''from out of the freezing cold'' to ''hey, you''re bloated in August!'' we could easily make it a full size, I think.

Me too!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness. SO MUCH. I'm a 6.25 or maybe even 6.5 when it's very hot/humid out. When it's cold, I'm a 5.5 - that's a whole size deviation!! Very annoying.

I don't know if they fluctuate a lot with weight... my weight has only changed by about 10lbs. max since I got my engagement ring, but it seemed to maybe be a little looser when I got to my lightest.

I keep my rings at a 6, so that at most they're 1/2 size off.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I forgot to mention that entire size increase sausage fingers I had the last weeks of my pregnancy! Fun.
20.gif

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Yes my finger dramatically changes by temperature. I can be inside with my band fitting and go outside in cold air and have it falling off. Then I try and move it to a finger that fits so I move it through all my left fingers down to my thumb. Then so on to my right hand. Yes the super traditional right hand wedding thumb band.

Someday when we get a ring I will have to get something that stops that. I thought I saw a springy horseshoe shaped sizer once. I wondered if something like that would be able to adjust and solve the problem.

Mrs.2Artists

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
about 1/2 size as well. but it seems a lot worse when i wear my wedding band and ering in the extreme hot summer temp, or during the last week of my pregnancy. i refused to stop wearing my ering during my entire pregnancy, nd during the last week or two, i really thought that they would have to cut the ring of me. it was a BAD idea!! but it went on just fine...go figure.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I've lost close to 20 pounds over the last couple of months and although i can still get away with wearing my set on my ring finger, it's just too loose- they slip up to my knuckle.

So, i now usually wear them on my middle finger
39.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 12:33:12 PM
Author: Burk
Oh, and I forgot to mention that entire size increase sausage fingers I had the last weeks of my pregnancy! Fun.
20.gif

that''s one reason why i haven''t done anything with my too-loose set. i''m hoping to be able to wear it when i''m preggo!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
After exercise--swells up 3/4 size--same with heat.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I''d say 3/4 size from coldest to hottest.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 1:04:45 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl
I''ve lost close to 20 pounds over the last couple of months and although i can still get away with wearing my set on my ring finger, it''s just too loose- they slip up to my knuckle.

So, i now usually wear them on my middle finger
39.gif

I had the same problem. My rings can''t be resized any more (I went from a 6.75-7 to a 5-5.25), so my jeweler put a horseshoe sizer inside. It''s great, I love it!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Can you get a sizer that adjusts?

Mrs.2Artists

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About 1 whole size. In the winter and during the evening I can wear a 6.5. In the summer a 7.25 is so tight that I get muffin top finger.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I want my finger size to get bigger!
My new upgrade just rolls around my finger. But I have a larger knuckle issue to work with, so no ring will ever fit just perfect.
I am hoping the heat of the summer swells my finger up a 1/4 or 1/2 size. I''d like to be able to look down and see the top
of my ring, not the sides!

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 4:48:41 PM
Author: Addy
About 1 whole size. In the winter and during the evening I can wear a 6.5. In the summer a 7.25 is so tight that I get muffin top finger.
LOL! I''m right there with ya! On a skinny finger day, I''m a 6.75. That''s on a cold day with zero humidity. In the middle of the summer or when I''ve had too much salty food, I''m easily a 7.5.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ladies, thanks for your reply.

(Ellen, Lorelei, you're too cute
9.gif
. Thank you).

I didn't know that your fingers could change so much depending on the weather etc.

I am a bit concerned that my size 5 (RHR) which is already a little bit too big may become too loose once we've moved up to Shanghai (it's *freezing* there in the winter
7.gif
). What's the best way to keep your ring from becoming too loose and coming off altogher, without it being re-sized?

ETA: Hudson Hawk, what's a horseshoe sizer? Can one order it on the internet?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
About 1/4-1/2 size when its hot vs. cold.

When I lost a ton of weight a couple of years ago (approximately 50 lbs), I lost about 1.75 ring sizes, which did make a very big difference in how my rings/fingers looked.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 7:54:25 AM
Author: Phoenix

(Ellen, Lorelei, you're too cute
9.gif
. Thank you).

I didn't know that your fingers could change so much depending on the weather etc.

I am a bit concerned that my size 5 (RHR) which is already a little bit too big may become too loose once we've moved up to Shanghai (it's *freezing* there in the winter
7.gif
). What's the best way to keep your ring from becoming too loose and coming off altogher, without it being re-sized?

ETA: Hudson Hawk, what's a horseshoe sizer? Can one order it on the internet?

A horseshoe sizer is a thin band of metal that is soldered on the inside of your band. It's slightly smaller than your ring and matches the width of the shank. It doesn't go all the way around the inside, just 2/3-3/4 around. It's flexible enough to go over knuckles, but once on it squeezes your finger pudge so it stays in place. It will also flex to accommodate your fingers swelling and it doesn't hug your finger so tightly as to be uncomfortable. My jeweler put it in for me, it was around $100, but it's a good sized piece of gold and they also rhodium plated the ring and checked the prongs, etc. It's well worth the cost in my opinion.

I'll take a picture of my ring tonight when I get home.

*edited to add* the sizer can easily be removed by your jeweler.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2009 10:57:44 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

(Ellen, Lorelei, you''re too cute
9.gif
. Thank you).

I didn''t know that your fingers could change so much depending on the weather etc.

I am a bit concerned that my size 5 (RHR) which is already a little bit too big may become too loose once we''ve moved up to Shanghai (it''s *freezing* there in the winter
7.gif
). What''s the best way to keep your ring from becoming too loose and coming off altogher, without it being re-sized?

ETA: Hudson Hawk, what''s a horseshoe sizer? Can one order it on the internet?

A horseshoe sizer is a thin band of metal that is soldered on the inside of your band. It''s slightly smaller than your ring and matches the width of the shank. It doesn''t go all the way around the inside, just 2/3-3/4 around. It''s flexible enough to go over knuckles, but once on it squeezes your finger pudge so it stays in place. It will also flex to accommodate your fingers swelling and it doesn''t hug your finger so tightly as to be uncomfortable. My jeweler put it in for me, it was around $100, but it''s a good sized piece of gold and they also rhodium plated the ring and checked the prongs, etc. It''s well worth the cost in my opinion.

I''ll take a picture of my ring tonight when I get home.

Appreciate that, HH. I''d love to see a pic, so I could tell my jeweller.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 11:56:16 PM

Date: 3/2/2009 10:57:44 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

(Ellen, Lorelei, you''re too cute
9.gif
. Thank you).

I didn''t know that your fingers could change so much depending on the weather etc.

I am a bit concerned that my size 5 (RHR) which is already a little bit too big may become too loose once we''ve moved up to Shanghai (it''s *freezing* there in the winter
7.gif
). What''s the best way to keep your ring from becoming too loose and coming off altogher, without it being re-sized?

ETA: Hudson Hawk, what''s a horseshoe sizer? Can one order it on the internet?

A horseshoe sizer is a thin band of metal that is soldered on the inside of your band. It''s slightly smaller than your ring and matches the width of the shank. It doesn''t go all the way around the inside, just 2/3-3/4 around. It''s flexible enough to go over knuckles, but once on it squeezes your finger pudge so it stays in place. It will also flex to accommodate your fingers swelling and it doesn''t hug your finger so tightly as to be uncomfortable. My jeweler put it in for me, it was around $100, but it''s a good sized piece of gold and they also rhodium plated the ring and checked the prongs, etc. It''s well worth the cost in my opinion.

I''ll take a picture of my ring tonight when I get home.

Appreciate that, HH. I''d love to see a pic, so I could tell my jeweller.
I definitely want to see this. Thanks for the info!

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
This is a little off topic.. but maybe someone can throw some advice at me.

In all my life I don''t remember ever wearing rings, I was just very active and they got in the way. But now that BF is talking about marriage, he asked for my ring size, and I blanked. Went in for a ring sizing, was told 6, but that felt VERY snug. And it''s winter! Well, it was at the time. I bought a random ring in size 6 to test it out, and I''ve been wearing it for about 2 weeks.. it is snug to the point where it wont turn sideways or fall off, but come summer, I don''t know what to expect!

Is there any way to get your fingers into a "happy medium" where they''re kind of at their "normal" size? I have a little bit of "mushroom head finger" or whatever someone called it with this size 6.. I''m afraid it''s too small. A 7 is too big, but there''s no way for me to try out a 6.5, the dept stores only carry whole sizes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results