shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does it cost to set a stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rachelb

Rough_Rock
If we were to purchase a setting and a stone online, seperately, could we go to a local jewler to set the stone? (Even though we didn''t purchase anything from them?) Does anyone know approximately how much getting a stone set would cost?

toadsmith

Rough_Rock
Most jewelers would be willing to do this ;however, the price will depend on the size of the stone and if the ring can accomidate the stone without any additional work. If the head (sometimes refered to as the crown) is the correct size you might get away with only paying $30 or $40 dollars (for a stone under one carat). If it needs a new head your looking at about $80 (once again for a stone under one carat). this also assuming the stone is round. Fancy cut stones are somewhat more difficult and demand a slightly higher price.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Just an idea.

Buy the stone you love and then send it to the vendor selling the setting and have them mount it.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Prices and results may vary greatly.

Part of the reason for the price varying is contingent on who is responsible for any catastrophies such as a chipped diamond.

This makes more sense when you consider that jewelers are not insured for this and typically assume all risk.

My understanding is that unless the setter has you sign a release or waiver the setter is probably (I am not a lawyer) assuming the liability .

The important point for a consumer is to clarify this upfront.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Rachel,
There are many different setters- and many different prices.
I've found that using the least expensive setter produces the least expensive results. I found this out the hard way.

Whoever suggested that you have the seller of the diamond be responsible for the setting gave good advice.

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Rachelb,

The above info is good advice. I went through this myself and contacted approx six jewelers in the DC metro area (USA). The quotes ranged from $35-$150! Several of them said it depended on whether the head of the ring was pre-sized for my stone.

-J

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
"I've found that using the least expensive setter produces the least expensive results"

diamondsbylauren

David

Brings to mind the humorous comparison to '50% off brain surgery
or 50% off parachute packing'.

Not my oneliner but one I quickly deemed a keeper and worked into my repertoire.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Oh- and another thing-
It's impossible to pick using the price as a benchmark.
That is to say- just because a guy ( or girl) charges a high price to set a stone is NO guarantee of quality work- although in the opposite case ( someone who quotes very low prices) you're likely to be surprised at the results - suprise in this case, is a bad thing!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, I agree completely. Some surprizes you just don't need.

At our place the price is XX to set the stone that you purchased elsewhere, and we assume NO liability. We tell you this up front and if you do not agree then we do not set your stone. Just hard to assume 10-20k of liability for a fee that yields a profit of about $10 if nothing goes wrong.

Of course we take full responsibility for stones that we sold. Strange that in the past many years we have never had any one refuse to waive liability that was here in house.

Wink

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We sometimes agree to set a diamond in solitaire rings after we do the appraisal on the stone. It can save people a lot of shipping expense to have that operation done locally. The fees generally run about $20 to $40 for the typical center .85-1.50ct range when set in a normal 4 or 6 prong head. Higher fees tend to be for the larger sizes and especially for princess cuts where points are fragile. It takes longer to be careful.

I truly recommend anyone buying a princess cut to have the seller set the stone. They will cover you and no one else will. We absolutely get a waiver of liability when setting a fragile gem for a nominal fee. The seller, on the other hand, will gladly take the risk and protect your interests. It is well worth the added shipping costs.

Our setting, while inexpensive, is the kind of quality people need and accept. We just happen to be in a highly competitive area where many setters are available and well trained. Not everyone is in the same position. We only offer this to people who are in need of a rapid turn around time or who simply do not want to add more costs to their project. Its a courtesy service for our appraisal clients, not a major profit center......

One thing for sure. An appraisal on a loose diamond is more accurate than an appraisal on an already set one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results