carat
color
clarity

How much does an avg turkey weigh?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I'm not talking about Kenny.. :lol:

We bought the biggest turkey they had at Costco today, and it only weigh 20 lbs. Doesn't it sound like a small turkey to you? I remember we used to buy 25 lb turkey for Thanksgiving. Nowadays everything is getting smaller.

Q

Queenie60

Not sure. I order my turkeys from the local market and I purchase two 10 lb. turkeys so that I have 4 legs and 4 wings as it seems everyone likes the darker meat. 20 lbs. seems about right for the average bird! Wishing you a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With or without my 1,111 carat Octavia?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know but I just bought a 20 lber. Had to google how long it takes to thaw in the fridge...5 days! I dont have room to
keep a 20lb turkey in my fridge for 5 days... :doh:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I'm not mistaken, I believe I read that the average turkey sold for Thanksgiving these days is in the middle teens- pounds wise.
(15 or 16 lbs.) I usually buy a 14/15 pounder (all natural) even though it's just the two of us because we like leftovers and I put a small amount through a food processor for the dogs and mix it with their food for a treat. They know *that* smell and hang around the stove while I baste.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not cooking this year but I usually get a 22-24 lb. fresh turkey. Might not be the average size and if I'm buying I place my order with a local market to insure that I get the size I want. They never seem to blink an eye at my size request!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I was watching the news. On one of the segments they were at a farm where they raise turkeys. They mentioned that when the weather gets cold turkeys put on extra weight to keep themselves warm. But in our area since temperatures were above average, the turkeys were a bit smaller.

His weighed between 16 pounds and he showed one of his big ones that weighed 30 pounds.

In the market the Butterballs were mostly 16 and 18 pounds, with a few 20 lbs and 21 lbs thrown in, which is what I bought.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I normally buy the smallest I can find, around 12lbs. If I ever need more I'd rather make two smaller ones than one giant one.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Growing up in a family of 9 kids my mom always got a at least a 25lb turkey. It's just me hubby and my daughter so I got a 10 lb this year.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results