shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does an appraisal cost?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I was wondering if anyone has a rough figure as to how much an appraisial of an already set diamond ring would cost? I''m looking to get it done in NYC. I''m pretty sure that I would need to get the ring appraised for my insurance company.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/26/2009 2:36:51 PM
Author:Sam82
I was wondering if anyone has a rough figure as to how much an appraisial of an already set diamond ring would cost? I''m looking to get it done in NYC. I''m pretty sure that I would need to get the ring appraised for my insurance company.

It would be best to ask your chosen appraiser, I don''t know what the price would be for an already set diamond.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I was hoping to hear a very general answer such as, around $200 or around $100. Oh well, thanks for responding.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
How large and what shape is the center stone?

Is it out of the ordinary, such as an ideal make or a fancy color?

What's the mounting like? Is it a designer piece? Does it contain small diamonds?

Are you looking for a barebones one paragraph appraisal with no photos, or a comprehensive report?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Sam, If you recently bought the ring,the seller may be able to supply you with a document that will prove sufficient for insurance.
In many cases a detailed bill of sale may work.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2009 3:50:41 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Hi Sam, If you recently bought the ring,the seller may be able to supply you with a document that will prove sufficient for insurance.
In many cases a detailed bill of sale may work.
Sam82, I think this is correct, though there are other reasons you might want one anyway, still with respect to insurance. For example, if your insurance gives you replacement coverage, and you''re fond of the features of your diamond, a more detailed appraisal can help nail that, so you get back closer to what you purchased.

Also, I think pricing can be variable with respect to the geographical market. For NYC, I think above $200 wouldn''t be a surprise. Do use the board here, above, under resources, for options. For example, though David Wolfe comes well recommended, he''s probably above average for your area in cost (a guess). You can use the search function here to investigate further.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I was as for 2 reasons: 1. for a family member who already has the ring and 2. for me, who does not have the ring yet. I thought that maybe we could go together.

As for the ring that I''m buying:
1. I''m hoping to get an ideal cut, but I may end up with something just under ideal.
2. The stone will be about .75 and $2,000

I hope it does not cost more than $200 for the apprasial. That seems kind of excessive considering the stone costs $2,000.

As for the documents that come with the diamond, I''m pretty sure that Bluenile sends an appriasal with their stones. I''m not sure if JA does (which is where I intend to purchase my stone). I''ll try and find out.

Thanks everyone for your help.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
David Wolf had pretty reasonable prices when I went - closer to $100 than $200.

In my area a new one is $75 regardless of the ring, and an updated one is $50!

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Why would a larger stone cost more to appraise?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Locally (in a suburb of Seattle), I''ve seen appraisals advertised for $75. I need to get one done for my pendant!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results