shape
carat
color
clarity

How much do you spend on handbags?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tommalle

Rough_Rock
My husband and I argue whenever the subject of purses comes up. I realize that designer bags start in the hundreds and can go into the thousands. I think spending a couple hundred dollars on a bag is acceptable and is the norm where we live. He claims that not many women spend that much money on one item. So I am just curious, how much money do you spend on a handbag?

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
$15 - $25?

Hahaha. I always buy fakes on the street in NY and Chicago, or cute bags I find on sale at department stores. I say that I''d rather have $300 in my $20 bag than $20 in my $300 bag!

I do envy those of you who buy designer purses though. I would LOVE to start a collection, but my budget just doesn''t allow for it, and they''ve never come down the gift line. Kate Spade is probably my favorite purse designer, I absolutely lust over her stuff. So simple and clean!!!
30.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Well, I have very few handbags that are all in the hundreds, but I have had them for a while and I use them every day. Designer bags are one thing I splurge on, because I keep them forever and they are high quality. I had 2 inexpensive work bags that both broke because I carry my laptop and a ton of other stuff every day. Not so with my LV, it''s held up to a lot. The flip side is that I do not have a lot of choice and carry one of the same few purses depending on the occasion.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Handbags are simply not my thing. I have no passion for them. For me, I spend no more than $300 for one.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 12:57:47 AM
Author: MC
Handbags are simply not my thing. I have no passion for them. For me, I spend no more than $300 for one.

$300 is probably my limit too. I like a good quality bag, but I can usually find deals. My current handbag retails for $500, but I got it new with tags on eBay for half that.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have any designer handbags, but I do appreciate them and admire them when I see them. I have a small Coach collection and I usually try to buy on Ebay and not go over $100-$120. But when I got the chance to buy a Coach at the outlet I spent over $150(probably would rethink that now). I appreciate the bags I buy and I like it that they last longer and don''t look terrible after using them for a few months.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never spent much. I got yelled at by a few of my friends that I need to upgrade my purse. I was like, meh, whatever. I like practicality over designer names, generally speaking.

But then I had a kid and spent money on a DIAPER BAG.
20.gif
They sell for 700 at Barneys, but they do sample sales and I was able to get the one I wanted for 295, which is a lot of freaking money on a diaper bag. But I LOVE it. It is a practical bag (minus the fact that it''s leather, but I don''t find that an issue). I''ve tried a lot of diaper bags. Ju Ju Be, Fleurville, blah blah, but my not rational is the one I reach for the most.

Mine is similar the the one below - mine is more wine/burgundy and lighter colored. I love it!

nr_hansel_berry_diesel78.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never spent more than $80. My husband has offered to buy any purse I care to pick out, but I haven''t found one I like well enough to toss big bucks at. My current favorite is a Liz Claiborne signature print bag; on sale at Macy''s, I only spent $50.

6219-912128-d.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''ve spent up to $120 but try to keep it under $100. I''m not a big designer fan. Big names for me are Coach, Dooney and Bourke, Michael Kors, and Lucky Brand (I know. not all that exciting), and I really only buy them if they''re marked WAY down, or I''ll buy them on ebay. Since I''ve found pricescope, I don''t spend ANY money on purses. I''m saving it for bling!
22.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to spend thousands on LV''s, but no more. Thank God!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 1:41:57 AM
Author: Phoenix
I used to spend thousands on LV''s, but no more. Thank God!
Right there with you Pheonix.
2.gif
But my Manhatten Bag, I use every day, still adore it. The other ones, oh lord, I was crazy.
20.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Lately? Not much. In the past..too much. I''m saving for my Hermès bolide(sp) bag now.
31.gif
Anyway, a couple hundred of dollars is completely acceptable in my opinion and not that expensive. So tell your hubby I agree with you! But note that I am a recovering purse and other designer goods addict.
2.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I love chanel handbags, will run between $2-3K each. I went crazy last year and bought 8 or 9. This year, I will try to be good and will purchase only one each season
9.gif
. I also like other brands which are slightly cheaper such as miu miu or rebecca minkoff, I think several hundred dollars for a bag is not too unreasonable.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank god my wife aren''t into handbags.
9.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the past 12 years I''ve bought four bags: £40 (everyday bag for work), $50 (bag for interviews), £25 (handbag), $25 (handbag). I have a few other bags, but most are overnight bags or backpacks.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
I do own one designer handbag - LV, which I love but wear only occasionally/on holidays, but my every day handbags are AUD $40-$100.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
The most I have ever spent on a handbag was $350. My favorite bags average around $140. I cannot see myself spending any more than that at this point in my life. Who knows maybe things will change in the future
31.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
How much do I spend on bags? Not nearly as much as I''d like to!!
31.gif

Probly about $200 (average) each time.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have used Vera Bradley bags for many, many years-for long before they were in style and now long after they went out of style! They used to seem expensive. Now, compared to "designer" bags they seem like bags made for the poor! My teenage daughter carries a Coach purse and I carry a quilted Vera Bradley and look like her poor step sister!

I used to buy and sell Vera Bradley vintage bags on eBay, so I have spent more than the usual retail value for various bags, but I doubt I ever spent more than $200 for the classic handbag size bag. I have definitely spent more for a piece of quilted luggage! I resent spending money on handbags. I like to spend money on jewlery, which endures and can be insured (whether or not I insure it). I have a similar feeling about spending money on cars, which depreciate in value. Yes, I know there can be classic cars and handbags...but most wear out. Jewelry and real estate seem more permanent to me :).

AGBF
34.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never used to spend much on bags. Probably around £10 - £25.

I now have 3 LV bags and am going to buy a Mulberry bag next month. I have to save up a little while to get one I like. At least it stops me making impulse buys.
1.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 5:06:13 AM
Author: AGBF

Jewelry and real estate seem more permanent to me :).

AGBF

34.gif

That is a great quote, AGBF! I''d like to use that line with my husband one day...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy Hermes Kelly which I adore and always have, these bags hold their value very well and I can still use them in many years to come. I have one which is already 40 years old and she is in incredible condition and will outlive me!
6.gif

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
When I was living and working in NYC, I would say average $500 a bag, but depending which I wanted that changed- so maybe $2000 a year. Now, living in Europe, I want to buy more since with the exchange rate the designer ones are on average $200 cheaper, but sadly with no income and the recession my collection has halted. I do have my eye on a Gucci for my birthday. I love designer bags, but I always look to get classic ones that will be timeless.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too much! I have 15 LV''S. 2 Chanels, 1 Balenciaga, about 5 Guccis and I started buying Hermes last year. So far I have 3 Hermes bags and I recently placed a special order for my 4th one.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 8:03:14 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux

Too much! I have 15 LV''S. 2 Chanels, 1 Balenciaga, about 5 Guccis and I started buying Hermes last year. So far I have 3 Hermes bags and I recently placed a special order for my 4th one.
And this would be for what???
3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like a nice looking purse, and imho I''ve always carried one. But I simply refuse to spend a ton of money on them. Besides the fact that I can''t afford it, I just find it crazy to spend hundreds on one. I wouldn''t even if I could, but that''s just me. I spend no more than 60.00, and I''ve had maybe 1 or 2 truly fall apart in my lifetime. The rest I just got tired of. There are definitely nice purses out there for less. Most I''ve bought from (then) Famous Barr, now Macy''s.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, Lorelei!
My special order was for a size 32 box calf Haut a Courroies, raisin color, gold hardware. I also wouldn''t mind having a prune colored box calf Kelly in a size 28 or 32.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 8:40:50 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Hello, Lorelei!
My special order was for a size 32 box calf Haut a Courroies, raisin color, gold hardware. I also wouldn''t mind having a prune colored box calf Kelly in a size 28 or 32.
omg!!!! Raisin HAC in box with GHW.....* SWOOON...***

A prune box Kelly would be gorgy too, retourne or sellier?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei, I was thinking I would like a box calf leather for the prune Kelly. From what I've seen, box calf makes the colors look more lively. I also like the Bleu de Prusse color. They have to stop making all these new colors! My biscuit colored Kelly is a retourne, and I really like it.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I am a bag freak, I am ashamed to admit how much I have spent on designer handbags over the years. Literally THOUSANDS of dollars!!

I would say I never carry a bag that costs less than $600. I've been better over the past couple of yrs about not spending that kind of $$ anymore on purses...Thank goodness the bags I have chosen in the past are classic and will never go out of style!!!! I can wear them forever!!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results