shape
carat
color
clarity

How much did you paid for your mattress? what is the brand?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We slept on a $300 mattress for 28 yrs and then about 3 months ago my wife decided to buy a $2k mattress... :wacko: To me it feels the same as our old $300 mattress... :silenced:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How much did you paid for your mattress? what is the bra

Yeah, I hate the mattress my SO selected too.

The only way to have everything YOUR way is to be single.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I disagree w/you Kenny.... :D We have a sleep number. I know the hype and when I first thought about them I was not a fan, and then we got one. LOVE it! Wish we had gotten one earlier. I love it as I can adjust it independently from my hubby. We got the base model a few years ago and whenever we get our rv we'll be getting another. :D

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Tempurpedic. Can't remember exactly how much, I believe in the $2,000 range, but oh so worth it. DH and I both have a lot of joint pain so it's paid for itself easily.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wanna hear about iLander's $9,000 mattress... :o

4ever

Ideal_Rock

We have a locally made memory foam mattress, similar to Tempur. It was pricey (in the thousands) but so so worth it.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

4ever|1443078108|3931176 said:
We have a locally made memory foam mattress, similar to Tempur. It was pricey (in the thousands) but so so worth it.

Same here. Except the price was £1,100 (1,700 USD, 2,420 AUS, 2,240 CAN) so not thousands in the plural form.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think I paid £800ish for my Kingsize - coil sprung (with more than standard) and memory foam topped.

Firm, but the memory foam moulds to you, and it means I am not crippled when I get out of bed in the morning.

Having springs also means it has some 'bounce' to help me get out of bed, rather than being a solid lump of tempur foam that does not bounce straight back and sucks me in, making me want to sleep more lol

My good lady always used to moan about it being hard (the bed, people, the bed... ;)) ) but then she stayed in her old bed at her dad's house for a couple of weeks, with it's cheap mattress that's about a decade old, and complained about having a bad back from it, so I think she's used to it now :tongue: lol

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tempurpedic - almost ten years old and you'd never know it. No sagging or worn places - it is really comfortable!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DH and I have a knock off temperpedic, I think it was called biofirm? The queen mattress was about $800. At this point we have a 3" natural latex topper on it and a synthetic "nest" from cuddledown so we are about $1250 all in. I sleep on my side so I need maximum cush on top of good support.

We plan on upgrading in a few years (when we move/buy a house) and if we were to buy now would try Casper.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire|1443077102|3931170 said:

Haha, DF. I :D t’s a Chattam & Wells, the very top of their line. The original retail was $9000, but we bought it at a fancy furniture store when they were closing down, so only $2200. It’s all handmade, all the springs are hand tied. People ordered them with custom firmness, so one side is medium firm and mine is soft. It has a 6 inch pillow top that has layers of memory foam, down and cashmere (I don’t know why cashmere, something about temperature stability). It’s very tall, so even the deepest sheets (22 inch) don’t really cover it and I have to hop up to get on it. It’s zoned, so softer or firmer depending on if it’s supporting your head, torso or legs. You’re never supposed to turn or flip it, it’s supposed to be a lifetime mattress that never sags. The sides don’t have any give, so you don’t feel like you’re sliding off the edge. When I lay down, I completely disappear into it, but it still has support for my back. It’s extremely comfy on my side, but DH developed joint issues and after 8 years, I ended up getting him a medical foam pad for his firmer side. It looks silly, but he sleeps like a baby. Anything to keep from losing my side!

The company went bankrupt in 2009, another victim of the downturn. It’s a pity, because this is as deluxe as it gets. At least I think it is, I don’t know what hedge funders sleep on now. :shock:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

We currently have a knockoff Tempurpedic (Comfort Dreams sold by Overstock) that we bought for $400. My plan was for this mattress to be a "trial run" to make sure I liked memory foam before spending $2K+ on a mattress. Then I would move this mattress to our guest bed. It's been about 2 months and I don't think I'm a fan of memory foam, but now I'm not sure if it's because this is a cheap mattress or if I just need a different material.

I just bought my daughter a Simmons BeautySleep that seems really comfy to me (granted, I've never spent the night on it), so I think I'm going to go ahead and get a traditional mattress for our bedroom soon. I'm done trying to find a comfy firm mattress--I want a bed like iLanders where I disappear when I lie down.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rhea|1443086618|3931186 said:
4ever|1443078108|3931176 said:

Same here. Except the price was £1,100 (1,700 USD, 2,420 AUS, 2,240 CAN) so not thousands in the plural form.

Yup, same here. A locally made memory foam mattress. Been very happy with it for the last seven years, but I can't remember how much it cost. I know it was significantly less than the Tempurpedic, and feels just the same. I also can't remember what level of softness, or "memory" it is. With some, you sink deeper than others.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

We bought a sleep number bed last spring. It was around $4000. I think the model is the M7. It has some memory foam. I didn't think I'd like it at all because I've never been able to tolerate the heat from memory foam, but I LOVE it. Whatever memory foam they used doesn't get hot at all and I'm in my prime hot flash years.

I like a nice, soft fluffy mattress but DH needs something firm for his back. This has been a great compromise.

We didn't get the model that adjusts up and down (because I thought that looked like an old people bed) but now I wish we would have.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I told my husband to start saving bc when we get our king it'll be expensive. Probably around the 5k mark-I refuse to purchase anything but an organic mattress due to the long term negative health affects they can cause (including sterility) but there is a DIY option that the company sends you the stuff and you put it together yourself, we may go that route. We will see! Currently we just have cheapy stuff but that will change over time as we can afford to replace them, or we'll get wool toppers.

http://wellnessmama.com/6014/organic-mattresses/

Snip from the link:
Manufacturers are dousing them [mattresses] with highly toxic flame-retardant chemicals like polybrominated diphenyl ether, better known as PBDE, which do NOT have to be disclosed in any way.

PBDEs, which have been banned in Canada, Europe, and several states, build up in your body over time, and what you absorb or inhale does not go away. This is concerning not only because of the health problems PBDE is associated with (brain and reproductive damage, decreased sperm quality, thyroid problems and even cancer at high levels), but also because of how pervasive these chemicals have become.

Since we spend up to 1/3 of our life sleeping, the chemicals in a mattress can be a big source of exposure and have been linked to problems like allergies, asthma, fertility problems/hormone imbalance and even autism in sensitive individuals. Some, like Dr. Mercola, make a strong case for the potential dangers even of the springs of mattresses which can amplify electromagnetic radiation during sleep. (For this reason, and also to reduce inflammation, I sleep on a grounding mat on my bed)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had a friend who used to work for Simmons, and anytime a mattress was not fit for sale, they would offer up to employees for $50-$200. Example, the side fabric was torn, there was a staple sticking out of the bottom (they fixed these, but it didnt look as pretty). Anyways, I ended up getting a Säng (now discontinued) for $200. I think original retail was a few k. It feels like sleeping on a cloud :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Would I sound cool if I slept on a Hasten mattress?

I have no idea how much mine cost as I had it sense I lived at home and my parents paid for mattresses. Probably no more than 300

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you sweat a lot sleeping on a memory foam mattress?
I sweated a lot when I was sleeping on one of those cheap thin memory pad that we purchased from Costco.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

We've been sleeping on Tempur-Pedics for years. We're on our third one which is adjustable. DF - you don't want to know how much we paid :shock: . We also have a Tempur-Pedic in our spare bedroom. I have a difficult time sleeping on anything else. The downside to memory foam mattresses is that they are beastly heavy. I would get a memory foam mattress for our Murphy bed (spare bed in my sewing room) but I'm afraid it's not strong enough to support the mattress.

DF - just saw your question. We don't notice our memory foam being hot but many people do find they sweat more. I think it really depends on the individual.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

DH and I just bought a mattress about a month ago. We bought a Simmons Beautyrest mattress and box spring (queen size) for about $800. It is far better than the 20+ year old mattress we were sleeping on. We didn't want to go overboard, because we will be upgrading to a king size when we buy a house and this mattress will be for a guest room. I think we will get a lot of good years from it, though. So comfy!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

DF - I should also mention that we use Protect-A-Bed mattress covers which may help with the heat and sweating as they have a soft terry cloth outer fabric. We have two little dogs that sleep with us and when they throw up it's usually at 5:00 a.m. in bed :wall: . Procta-A-Bed mattress and pillow covers have saved us a lot of grief.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I paid one slightly used digital camera (brand new cost about $300 at the time, used for one day) for our mattress plus boxspring and frame. Not sure what brand it is (will have to look one day).

My grandmother purchased it. It was in the room my aunt slept in then my uncle then me. When my grandmother died, my grandfather was selling the place to move in with his fiance (yeah... um, a week after burying your wife of 50+ years you should not be engaged to one of the women you were cheating with!). He agreed to let me buy the bed instead of stick it out in the yard sale.

Pretty comfortable but it is showing a bit of age. (fair enough after 30+ years of use!)

I'd love to get a new mattress one day.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mattresses are very personal IMO.

What works for one person doesn't work for another. And some people are very sensitive when it comes to feeling changes in mattresses.

We have a Sterns and Foster set. I don't recall what we paid for it 10 years ago. I remember I shopped around for it. It was the no flip "K" with the Euro Pillow Top. I got it at some online place and saved a nice amount so I don't think I paid more than 2-3k, plus free white glove delivery and removal of old mattress. So it took the sting out of it a little.

We're actually in the market for a new one as this one starting to hurt DH some. I am still thrilled with it and could sleep on it for another 5 years easy. So we'll probably replace it sometime in the next couple years. We went and checked some out recently just to see. I hate mattress shopping with the fiery passion of a thousands suns though. To say DH has a "bad" back is an understatement. He had three vertebrae fused before he was 40 and has degenerative arthritis all up and down his spine plus intermittent nerve issues and sciatica. So mattresses are a big deal for him. So....

DH had to try the 4k mattress and, of course, fell in love.
What he wanted to buy:
http://www.us-mattress.com/simmons-black-lexi-luxfm-pt-king.html

I'm thinking we might end up with a sleep number. He likes cushion firm and I like sink down into it soft. And memory foam makes him sweat like he you wouldn't believe. ICK.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

iLander|1443105041|3931257 said:
Dancing Fire|1443077102|3931170 said:

Haha, DF. I :D t’s a Chattam & Wells, the very top of their line. The original retail was $9000, but we bought it at a fancy furniture store when they were closing down, so only $2200. It’s all handmade, all the springs are hand tied. People ordered them with custom firmness, so one side is medium firm and mine is soft. It has a 6 inch pillow top that has layers of memory foam, down and cashmere (I don’t know why cashmere, something about temperature stability). It’s very tall, so even the deepest sheets (22 inch) don’t really cover it and I have to hop up to get on it. It’s zoned, so softer or firmer depending on if it’s supporting your head, torso or legs. You’re never supposed to turn or flip it, it’s supposed to be a lifetime mattress that never sags. The sides don’t have any give, so you don’t feel like you’re sliding off the edge. When I lay down, I completely disappear into it, but it still has support for my back. It’s extremely comfy on my side, but DH developed joint issues and after 8 years, I ended up getting him a medical foam pad for his firmer side. It looks silly, but he sleeps like a baby. Anything to keep from losing my side!

The company went bankrupt in 2009, another victim of the downturn. It’s a pity, because this is as deluxe as it gets. At least I think it is, I don’t know what hedge funders sleep on now. :shock:

Totally agree. My parents have a Chattam and Wells. I swore I would get one the next time we needed one. I have a 21 inch no flip mattress and know your pain when it comes to sheets. I have found the perfect sheets for it though, if you are interested. http://www.cuddledown.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=73,3229&T1=Z5705+318+32+15 The 21' pocket fit mine great and it's not a tight fit. You can get another inch out of it, I'm sure. And they wear really well.

Medical foam pad you say? Link please.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

We had purchased a tempurpedic cloud about 4 years ago, but hated it. It was close to 5k. We slept on it for a week and couldn't get used to it. When we returned it we had a credit :nono: so we were in search for a mattress around the same amount. We ended up with a beauty rest black label which was around 4400 for a king size mattress. Best money we have ever spent, feels the same as the day we got it 4 years ago!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have a Strobel Supple pedic. They're not as expensive if you don't get the movable base. I forget the price we paid but the last one we purchased was in 2006. We had 2 prior that we still have (they're guest beds). Expensive dosen't necessarily mean better. I remember the first apartment I got out of college, the bed I bought was Amazing, and I paid about 350 for the mattress and base. But of course that was also a LONG time ago...lol

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1443175051|3931608 said:
Totally agree. My parents have a Chattam and Wells. I swore I would get one the next time we needed one. I have a 21 inch no flip mattress and know your pain when it comes to sheets. I have found the perfect sheets for it though, if you are interested. http://www.cuddledown.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=73,3229&T1=Z5705+318+32+15 The 21' pocket fit mine great and it's not a tight fit. You can get another inch out of it, I'm sure. And they wear really well.

Medical foam pad you say? Link please.

Here you go, Gypsy:

http://www.amazon.com/Lumex-7-4000EC-Convoluted-Mattress-76x78x4/dp/B001KY9SJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443204129&sr=8-2&keywords=Lumex+Convoluted+Foam+Mattress+Pads

It's SUPER plush and smooshy, but not hot like a memory foam. DH has slept on it for over a year now (the king size is actually 2 twin pads, so DH has one and DD is using the other) and it hasn't flattened at all. It is remarkably soft, you won't want to move. It's too soft for me, actually, but DH thanked me for literally several weeks after I bought it. I chose the 4 inch (they have a 3 inch) and recommend that. DD loves her it on her bed as well.

I will check out the sheets, thank you very much! :)

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Serta iComfort. It was around $1800, I think. I love it!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

When I was getting a new mattress I was deciding between 2- a $3500 mattress and a $6000 one. Thyey both were from temperpedic. I was unable to compare them together (as the 6000 was in a special showroom an hour away and the showroom didn't have the other one) so we ended up getting the 3500 one. I really love it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results