shape
carat
color
clarity

how much are you paying for gas in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
in Northern California, 6 hours north of San Fran, it''s $4.35 reg, that was yesterday, I don''t know what it is today...
emsad.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2008 6:45:43 PM
Author: bebe
In Houston, home of many oil and gas companies and refineries. I filled up my SUV (gulp, gulp) on Monday evening. It was 92.00. Unreal. I get around 14 mpg.. The car is 8 yrs. old, paid for so I put up with it. I also have a new Vette that gets much better gas mileage, 21 city, 24-27 highway.

It's supply and demand or so we hear.
33.gif
23.gif

My car does 60mpg on the open road, more like 40mpg in town. Even my parents' super-douper 2.0l fancy schmancy engine Honda Accord manages 35mpg.

Gosh I'm glad I'm not faced with that kind of mileage! You guys must be filling up every few days?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gas here went up about .20 or .30 cents yesterday.

I may end up hitchhiking!

I cant read the Japanese, but I believe it is about 1.5/Litre Regular here in Japan which is something like 5.70/Gallon

Also, I recall a comment earlier about citizens of certain regions not driving as much distance per year. I assumed, perhaps falsley, that that individual was alluding to the fact that in some regions, such as large cities, individuals generally dont have to drive very far to get to alot of really great "stuff" which may well include his/her work location. Whereas individuals such as myself, in South Carolina, may have to drive 20plus miles to get to a good grocery store.

If my assumption was correct I wanted to point out that in such regions traffic is usually terrible. Here in Japan it takes 25-30 minutes by car during non peak driving hours to go from my wife''s house to her job. She only works 6km from her house. You then have to take into consideration what such stop and go traffic does to gass mileage. From my limited experience doing short drives in stop can go I found that my miles per gallon was cut down to 2/3 of my non stop and go longer distance driving. In such extreme scenarios I imainge mileage could even be cuti n half, meaning that if someone drives half or 2/3 of the distance in a year as another person, he or she may well be consuming more gas doing it with the same vehicle.

Finally, just one more thought, I am not sure how much oil is actually in Alaska, and from what I have read no one has really made any final conclusions yet.

But, on the idea that it was environemntalist holding us back from utilizing a wealth of resources that could solve many of our, maybe even the world''s, problems, I think you might want to take a look at the realities of our government and world wide stage at the moment:

There is really no denying that we are at the moment in an era where America has focused on National Security to the point of violating not animal rights but American citizen rights and human rights--one of our own Supreme Court Justices said that torture is fine, insinuating that it should be conducted, because it is not afterall a "punishment" per the technical definition of the word and therefore violates no US constitutional laws.

Throw into the equation the ever increasing financial burdens across the globe and at home, and then throw in the rise of multiple foreign super powers, some of which we are treating, insinuating, and even naming, our mortal enemies--I think it should be obvious that if the studies concluded that there is truly a signifcant profit to be made AFTER establishing all of the necessary equipment and personal in the region to drill, transport and refine all of the material that there would be no way that any group, however realistically large it is, of environmentalist (or however good their cause may be) could possibly override our current governments decision to take from the land it owns what it feels it needs. Of course, as the price of oil rises, the numbers will obviously change and we will, undoubtely, move in sooner or later.

Hopefully we can find some way to minimize the damage rather than focus on preventing what is inevetiable (unless of course we find some other fuel source capable of lifting billions and billions of tons of metal, passangers and cargo and flying them around and around and around the world every day--which we are far from obtaining....)

for the record I love America and am very patriotic (I also love the environment, of course, it is our world) but there are def. some areas that we as the country of America are beginning to collapse in, some of them at the same moment as other countries are excelling, and there are obviously a few very serious issues on the horizon that will affect humanity as a whole.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
$3.93 a gallon in a Boston suburb. That was a steal, everyone else was $3.99 and higher. My oil company is charging $4.40 a gallon for heating oil. I''m saving now for next winter. These prices are insane!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
No sympathy from me, I can't believe how cheap your fuel is!
23.gif

You all pay less than we did in 1990...

Current petrol prices in London...

Diesel - $11 a gallon
Petrol - $10 a gallon

We don't have a car - London has a congestion charge of $16 a day, on top of that you've got parking permits, road tax, insurance, mot etc etc.

It's much cheaper to use public transport - I pay $50 a week for unlimited use in 2 zones, we get the odd taxi and hire a car 2 or 3 times a year.

We have been thinking about getting a car in the next couple of years in which case we will get a Prius and save loads!

dendon

Shiny_Rock
$3.85 in Vegas, of course depending on which part of town you are in, saw as high as $3.93, sad and disgusting!!!
29.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
$4.07 for regular.
6.gif
14.gif
15.gif

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock
3.88 in Atlanta Georgia. Who knew it would cost so much to run a Honda.
7.gif

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
$4.15 ACK!!

S. CA.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 10:35:06 AM
Author: Delster

Date: 5/27/2008 6:45:43 PM
Author: bebe
In Houston, home of many oil and gas companies and refineries. I filled up my SUV (gulp, gulp) on Monday evening. It was 92.00. Unreal. I get around 14 mpg.. The car is 8 yrs. old, paid for so I put up with it. I also have a new Vette that gets much better gas mileage, 21 city, 24-27 highway.

It's supply and demand or so we hear.
33.gif
23.gif

My car does 60mpg on the open road, more like 40mpg in town. Even my parents' super-douper 2.0l fancy schmancy engine Honda Accord manages 35mpg.

Gosh I'm glad I'm not faced with that kind of mileage! You guys must be filling up every few days?
Why would there be such a discrepancy in MGP b/w the UK and the US? I don't get it. I drive a Honda Accord as well, and I'm lucky if I get 23 MPG.

ETA: I also have the fancy schmancy engine.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Our Accord is your Acura TSX I believe? Wikipedia - European Accord

I remember a friend telling me once about her real old sedan that did like 10pmg. We'd never heard of such a thing! Poor girl, the car randomly burst into flames on her one day and that was the end of it. She had only just gotten out of it and was heading back to get something she'd forgotten when it happened right before her eyes
23.gif

Anyway, the lower mileage must really hurt the wallet. It kind of evens out the cost of motoring - we have higher prices per gallon over here, but you need to fill up more. We're all feeling the pinch!

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Interesting! I did not know that.

Just out of curiosity, I checked Acura''s website, and according to them the TSX should get 21 MPG in the city and 30 on the highway. Honda says the Accord V6 (which is what I have) should get 19 city/29 highway, for a combined total of 22 - that seems pretty consistent with what I''ve experienced.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
krispi I'll be doing a long roadtrip in my family's Accord this weekend - I'll check out the fuel consumption on the on-board computer thingummy and report back!

They've told me 35mpg before, I remember because they were surprised the mileage was that good. It's the first high powered car they've ever owned so they were bracing themselves. But it turned out not to be much worse than their Nissan was before that.

I'm a total nerd about these kind of things. I love checking out all the different branding on familiar models when I'm Stateside!

krispi

Shiny_Rock
I''m a bit of a car nerd too, so I completely understand. My ex''s BMW had a thing that would tell you the current mpg (and how many miles of gas you had left) - that was cool!

mom2twogirls

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 4:07:42 PM
Author: krispi
I''m a bit of a car nerd too, so I completely understand. My ex''s BMW had a thing that would tell you the current mpg (and how many miles of gas you had left) - that was cool!
My Lexus GX 470 does this too ... cracks me up when I let up on the gas pedal (going down a hill or something) and it will say "83 mpg" or something ridiculous like that. Or when I''m accelerating to merge onto the beltway and it drops to like 10mpg.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results