shape
carat
color
clarity

how many miles would you still accept on a new car?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
100? 50? < 20? i mean i see new cars with 100-200 miles on the dealer''s lot, theres no way i would accept a new car with 200 miles on it.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
why? if it comes with a discount, why not?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I once saw one from the dealer with 5000 miles on it. But it was discounted. Still, I took the one that had 10 miles on it.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
to get from one side of houston to another is easily 100 miles. could reasonably happen to relocate a car.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2006 4:01:09 PM
Author: pinkflamingo
why? if it comes with a discount, why not?
i don''t think they would give you a discount with 200 miles on the OD.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2006 3:58:42 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
100? 50? < 20? i mean i see new cars with 100-200 miles on the dealer''s lot, theres no way i would accept a new car with 200 miles on it.

Hi there DF!

This is what we call ''delivery mileage'' in the UK. 100-200 miles is completely acceptable.

Why would it bother you?

Blod
35.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Our newest car had 206 miles on it. Between test drives and the transfer from another dealership 55 miles away for the exact model we wanted, it added up. No biggie.

Our minivan had 1000 miles on it when we bought it new. A person bought it, drove it for a couple of weeks and then returned it because the dealership could not have the cloth seats removed and leather seats installed like they'd promised. Since the title never went through it could be sold as "new". We got a significant discount on it (one being that interest rates are lower on new than used cars), and in fact got it cheaper than the same model minivan one year older at CarMax with 24k miles on it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd take up to 600 miles with the right discount. When we were shopping for our Camry's the dealership closest to us offered us two cars, one with 300 miles another with 400... but their price wasn't good enough. We got a better deal on two brand new cars (1 mile, 3 miles) somewhere else... but if they had knocked the price down further... why not?

ETA: Oh! When I was in school I bought a Nissan with 500 miles on it. I got them to SERIOUSLY discount it. I got it for 13500 and 17000 was the best price on a brand new on I was able to find. It also had one stain on the upholstery when I test drove it... and even though it came out, I used it as a bargaining tool. Worked too. Plus I got new car financing... which was a much better deal than used car rates at the time. When they finished detailing it it was perfect. And so were my monthly payments.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/16/2006 5:09:34 AM
Author: blodthecat

Date: 7/15/2006 3:58:42 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
Hi there DF!

This is what we call ''delivery mileage'' in the UK. 100-200 miles is completely acceptable.

Why would it bother you?
Blod
35.gif
when i bought my Toyota truck it only had 10 miles on the OD. anyway...we pick up my wife''s car today it had 57 miles on the OD b/c it was transfer from another dealership 50 miles away but,it was the exact color combo and the options that she wanted.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
When I bought a new car a few years ago, it had 10 miles on the clock. They had to truck it from the north of England to the South, but didn''t expect me to accept the mileage.

Yesterday we picked up our new Jeep Grand Cherokee here in Saudi Arabia and it had 15 miles on the clock. That''s acceptable for a new car which really is supposed to be new and therefore zero mileage.

I''d take higher mileage for a discount though.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
50 unless there was a very good reason for having more. 57 after having been transferred from a dealership 50 miles away is a good excuse. You know exactly where those 50 miles went (cruising on a highway instead of being floored on a test drive).

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Nice! I like how the door sills light up.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2006 6:45:20 AM
Author: MiniMouse
When I bought a new car a few years ago, it had 10 miles on the clock. They had to truck it from the north of England to the South, but didn''t expect me to accept the mileage.

Yesterday we picked up our new Jeep Grand Cherokee here in Saudi Arabia and it had 15 miles on the clock. That''s acceptable for a new car which really is supposed to be new and therefore zero mileage.

I''d take higher mileage for a discount though.
i don''t think that is possible.
20.gif
the dealership has to drive it to the gas station.
9.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
For me it had to be <30, I wanted to break my car in just right.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
To get it on and off the trucks/trains/factory floor/dealer lot would be at least a few miles... I think 0 is impossible. My first new car had 8 miles on it. My second one had 36. I was ok with both. In the lifespan of the car, what''s 100 miles? Of course, they should give you leeway on warranties.... Say your warranty expires at 60,000 miles and the car had 200 miles on it when you got it. You need a repait at 60,198? They should cover it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, nice car DF!!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wife's car
5.gif
wife ask our two teenage daughters...should mommy get a big or a small car?
20.gif
what do you think two teenagers prefer?
7.gif
i want the big sedan.
39.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 2:37:32 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
wife''s car
5.gif
wife ask our two teenage daughters...should mommy get a big or a small car?
20.gif
what do you think two teenagers prefer?
7.gif
i want the big sedan.
39.gif
Smart girls ya got there, hehe!!
31.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
For a car that''s been sitting on a lot for a while, ~100 miles is far from unusual. But, I would ask where it came from. It''s not unheard of for cars to get sold and returned a few days later, and the dealer to "forget" to mention this. More than 100 and I start to get concerned.

A car you''ve ordered should have less than 5 miles, if that.

While we''re on the subject of miles, always record your mileage when you drop a car off for service. Dealership employees have been known to take serviced vehicles on unauthorized joyrides. A few miles might be added if your service required a test drive (e.g., if you had the brakes replaced) but more than that is a red flag. I know someone whose car got totalled on one of these joyrides. The dealer paid the FMV for it, but only after a lot of BS between the insurance companies over whose fault it was.

Starset

Shiny_Rock
If you specifically ordered the car from the manufacturer, the car should definitely have <50 miles on it. But if it''s just any ole new car off their lot, there are not only test drives from other potential buyers, but also many employees enjoy a demo program where they don''t have to own a car - just switch driving different dealership cars - keep them clean and under 300 miles.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 3:15:22 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

While we''re on the subject of miles, always record your mileage when you drop a car off for service. Dealership employees have been known to take serviced vehicles on unauthorized joyrides. A few miles might be added if your service required a test drive (e.g., if you had the brakes replaced) but more than that is a red flag. I know someone whose car got totalled on one of these joyrides. The dealer paid the FMV for it, but only after a lot of BS between the insurance companies over whose fault it was.

Have you heard of the Savage BMW incident with the totalled M3? Down in SoCal? I would NEVER go to that dealership. EVER.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 5:30:17 PM
Author: codex57

Have you heard of the Savage BMW incident with the totalled M3? Down in SoCal? I would NEVER go to that dealership. EVER.
That''s the incident I''m thinking of, which would seem to answer my previous question.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2006 5:53:05 PM
Author: codex57
50 unless there was a very good reason for having more. 57 after having been transferred from a dealership 50 miles away is a good excuse. You know exactly where those 50 miles went (cruising on a highway instead of being floored on a test drive).
exactly, when i test drove the car the salesman said....we''re here to have some fun,soo step on it!!!
9.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha, that''s the sign of a good salesman to me. Course, I then wouldn''t want that particular car depending on how hard I pushed it. Which is why I think dealers should always have demo cars. At least the ones with sporty models.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results