How many countries have you visited?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
36! 98512F42-F953-45F4-93D1-191582BA9331.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've visited 13, and lived in 5 for over a year each.

IMO living there is much more enriching and educational than just visiting, especially if you visit as a tourist.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have visited 22 and lived in 7 for over 3 years each.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
visited only my own, the USA...never been outside the states...not sure I really want to either...

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only three.
US, Mexico, Canada

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
That I remember? 4. The US in a few different states, Cuba, Chile, and Argentina. But I've lived in 6 total including Italy and Germany. If we lived anywhere else I can't remember hearing about it. I would really like to go back to the last two so I can have some memories from those places. Would also love to visit Scotland because both my husband and I both have heritage from there and Ireland because I have ancestry there also.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I’ve been to 9 countries and I’m kind of jealous of everyone’s travel.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know opening a can of worms, but why?

In the last three years Americans are more hated around the world than ever before.
Can't imagine why. :think:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
South Africa twice
Canada once
Australia twice

ive stood outside in the sun at LAX
i wish i had hoped in a taxi and gone to the beach but i was on my own

a miserable 4 hours in the airport bar in Zimbabwe

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
This thread makes me want to travel more...

11338204-0561-469E-A645-D35035B1B88F.jpeg

28 and hopefully a few more new ones with my kids in the next few years

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
17 or so, the majority in Europe, also been to Canada, USA and China. Plus Taiwan if it counts as a country, and was born in Hong Kong.

DK :))

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
19 in Europe (many of them more than once) plus Canada and Morocco. Looking through the list on the map above I’m wondering why I’ve not been to Austria and Switzerland! I really, really hate flying so I can’t foresee any long haul travel in my future, I plan to do lots of road and rail trips.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In the last three years Americans are more hated around the world than ever before.

I think people know and appreciate that a country’s leader is not the same as his/her people. At least I hope so, given the hash our leaders are making of the UK and its international relations at the moment.

I think it’s 24 in total for me, 12 from Europe but none from South America, which I’d love to visit. The countries I’d most like to revisit would be China and Egypt - they were both so rich in history and so very different culturally from home.

edit - I should have said rich in history that particularly interests me. All countries are rich in history, full stop!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to say I think this (to some extent) was always the case. I spent the summer in Europe many decades ago and was struck by how many Europeans disliked Americans or rather America as a whole. They were all lovely and warm to me but they confided in me how generally they do not like America. This was before Trump. It's just pervasive through the decades that no matter who is in charge we don't seem to be liked or respected in other parts of the world. This is my general observation with no scientific backing. Just my POV from my experiences traveling. Is it the government that they dislike or obnoxious americans or perhaps a bit of both? From my travels I got the feeling it was mainly government and as I wrote everyone was absolutely lovely to me and very kind and generous and I had the most wonderful time. But it was sad that there was an anti American sentiment running through the countries.

I have visited 12 countries (many of them more than once) and looking forward to visiting more in a few years or so. When we have more time to spend a few months traveling and if I can get over the flying issue. I have always hated flying but it has gotten worse in the last decade plus. I love visiting different cultures and getting to know the people and only like to go for longer visits of at least a few months at a time.

Just asked my DH and he has visited 25 countries.

I have also visited most of the states in the USA. I love being a traveler within our country as there are so many beautiful sights to see. All over the world and within our own country too. I agree visiting other countries is a rich cultural and very valuable and exciting experience.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know opening a can of worms, but why?

I am not a fan of flying...I have motion sickness so I avoid it at all cost and I guess I just never really thought I would want to travel to other countries (if I didnt have motion sickness) there is so much to see here in the US, my family traveled the US from coast to coast as a child and once I retire I would like to do that again :)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 8.24.15 AM.png

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never encountered a problem abroad but when we go we do our best to not be stereotypical Americans. We research customs, learn simple words like please, thank you and bathroom, see how people dress and respect rules. Next year we are planning to tour New Zealand. If I could only return to one place ever again it would be Italy. The beauty, the history, the basilicas, the ruins, the culture and THE FOOD! :kiss2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to have a count up, so bare with me:

US (many, many times, many States), Australia, New Zealand (lived here for a few years), Greece, Cyprus, Spain, France, Norway, Tenerife, Lanzarote, Prague, Portugal, Ireland, Crete, obviously UK as it's where I live, so England, Scotland & Wales, Jersey, Caribbean.

Think that's them all?
So 18, not counting England.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Visited 28 countries and lived in 4 so far. (27 if you lump Abu Dhabi and Dubai together as the UAE instead of individual emirates.)

Born in Hong Kong and lived there for many years. I also lived 7 years in the UK, 4 years in the US (NY) as well as 2 years and counting in Canada. I also travel to Japan at least once a year since I was 20,and probably have spent more than a year there once you add up all the time I've been there :lol:

I would live to travel more in Europe and also to South America.

Countries traveled to:
China (quite a few regions incl Beijing, Shanghai, Fijian, Guangzhou, Tibet, Xinjiang, Guizhou, Hainan, Sichuan, etc.)
Hong Kong
Taiwan
South Korea
Mongolia
Japan
Philippines
Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Vietnam
Indonesia
Australia
New Zealand
Qatar
Abu Dhabi
Dubai
Greece
France
Belgium
Denmark
Hungary
Netherlands
Switzerland
UK
Canada (all the provinces except Newfoundland & Labrador and none of the territories)
US (east coast, West coast and some of the mid-west, mostly Wisconsin. Haven't been to much of the south except Florida. I would love to visit New Orleans.)
Mexico

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
15, mostly in the Americas. The only European countries I've been to are England, Scotland, and Italy (well and that map website counts Vatican City as different than Italy, so sure), though I will probably be going to Greece next year.

I haven't actually been to Canada yet!

Other than the US, I've been to Mexico, Honduras, Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, the Bahamas, Antiqua and Barbados, St. Kitts and Nevis, Nicaragua, the Netherland Antilles (St. Maarten). I guess St. John is one of the US Virgin Islands so does not count as another country, but kind of seems like it should anyway, lol.

It's funny whenever I go to Europe, Europeans are so shocked by how few countries there I've been to, so I like to pretend at being shocked that they haven't been to a bunch of Caribbean countries like I have been. It's just cheaper to go places closer to you, and from Texas, the Caribbean countries are pretty close! Plus with all-inclusive resorts, it is the easiest way to book a vacation where you know it will be relaxing.

As for states in the US, 27 apparently, plus DC. I could be forgetting some. Other than Texas where I live, my most-frequently-visited are Colorado, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, California, Florida, and Washington DC. Top of the list for states I'd like to visit are Alaska, Oregon, and Iowa. And I've never actually been to New Orleans so I'd love to go there specifically, though I've been other places in Louisiana.

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 2.20.15 PM.png

I have food allergies so I worry about going to countries where I don't speak the language and the food is significantly different. So not sure if I will ever go many places in Asia and Africa.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
15, mostly in the Americas. The only European countries I've been to are England, Scotland, and Italy (well and that map website counts Vatican City as different than Italy, so sure), though I will probably be going to Greece next year.

I haven't actually been to Canada yet!

Other than the US, I've been to Mexico, Honduras, Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, the Bahamas, Antiqua and Barbados, St. Kitts and Nevis, Nicaragua, the Netherland Antilles (St. Maarten). I guess St. John is one of the US Virgin Islands so does not count as another country, but kind of seems like it should anyway, lol.

It's funny whenever I go to Europe, Europeans are so shocked by how few countries there I've been to, so I like to pretend at being shocked that they haven't been to a bunch of Caribbean countries like I have been. It's just cheaper to go places closer to you, and from Texas, the Caribbean countries are pretty close! Plus with all-inclusive resorts, it is the easiest way to book a vacation where you know it will be relaxing.

As for states in the US, 27 apparently, plus DC. I could be forgetting some. Other than Texas where I live, my most-frequently-visited are Colorado, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, California, Florida, and Washington DC. Top of the list for states I'd like to visit are Alaska, Oregon, and Iowa. And I've never actually been to New Orleans so I'd love to go there specifically, though I've been other places in Louisiana.

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 2.20.15 PM.png

I have food allergies so I worry about going to countries where I don't speak the language and the food is significantly different. So not sure if I will ever go many places in Asia and Africa.

I can vouch for the fact that Alaska and New Orleans are amazing places to visit and hope you can get there and enjoy them.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
chart2.png 16 countries in all, but would love to see more.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I am not a fan of flying...I have motion sickness so I avoid it at all cost and I guess I just never really thought I would want to travel to other countries (if I didnt have motion sickness) there is so much to see here in the US, my family traveled the US from coast to coast as a child and once I retire I would like to do that again :)

Good point there is so much to see. Just putting it out there that you can drive to Canada and we’re pretty fun too.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

I find this interesting because everyone thinks I’m American and I never have issues while travelling. On the other hand DH is British and nobody likes people from the UK. Even outside of the EU there seems to be an assumption that he will be a problem while people are always fine with me.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve been to 9 countries and I’m kind of jealous of everyone’s travel.

I'm jealous too! Especially those who have actually lived in another country. I've visited 10 (if all islands that are territories of other countries are counted as one "country") and lived in 2.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A70BCFF1-A9DD-4698-8E56-D531E6144B5A.png 34 states! 35, I forgot south carolina

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
36 countries. Hope to add more next year.

I've found that Europeans like tourists who are thoughtful, respectful and aware of cultural differences, and interested in learning about the places they're visiting. And they don't like tourists who are thoughtless, disrespectful or not aware of cultural differences, want things to be the same as they're used to at home, and not interested in learning about the places they're visiting. It doesn't matter what country the tourist is from. What matters is whether they fall into the first category or the second category.

For example, Americans tend to talk more loudly than Europeans do. Maybe it's because our country is larger, our living spaces are bigger, or maybe it's for some other reason entirely. But when you're over there, you notice it, sometimes a lot. So a thoughtful American tourist will try to adapt, and lower the volume. The ones who don't should be prepared to stand out, and not necessarily in a good way. Neither way of speaking is wrong, they're just different. I try to adapt when I'm in another country as a sign of respect.

Another example. North Americans tend to be very smiley. We smile at people we know, and we smile at strangers. It's kind of our form of greeting. And many people think the French are rude because they tend to reserve smiles for people they know or a situation that strikes them as funny. They think a smile given to a stranger lacks meaning because there's no actual reason to smile at someone you don't know. Once I learned that, being in France made way more sense. They aren't being rude; it's just the cultural difference. And on the flip side, it's consider polite in France (and some other countries) to greet people when you enter their shop and to say goodbye when you leave. Even if you never say anything else. If you don't, it's considered rude. We don't do that as much here (although there are some regional differences), and we wouldn't think that someone is rude if they didn't say hello when they came in. Again, neither way is wrong, just different.

I've never come across someone in Europe who didn't like me because I'm American. I have had people get annoyed with me when I've fallen into the bad tourist category because we all do sometimes, especially if we're tired, cranky, or hungry. I hope I've gotten better over the years, but we all have our moments.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
14 countries in total so far and looking forward to traveling to more!

U.S.A.
Canada
China (traveled around a lot...Shanghai, Beijing, Hangzhou, Nanning, Guilin, Guangzhou)
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Japan
South Korea
Singapore
Netherlands
Germany
Greece
Italy
Finland
Switzerland

A lot of Europe and East Asia. Looking forward to traveling more through SE Asia more in the future!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t recall the exact number, but it’s over 60.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results