shape
carat
color
clarity

How low would you go?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miss_Cupcake

Rough_Rock
...in terms of colour?

I posted a few days ago about a stone I had on hold at GOG. It is an H/VS2 cushion.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thoughts-on-this-chunky-cushion.110867/

My plan was to wire the $$ over today, but now I am worrying about the H colour. I thought I would be fine with it, but I went to a locale jeweler this weekend, and they told me basically that anything lower than F/G is terrible. I know a lot of people here have lower coloured stones, but it did get me thinking. When two stones are put up next to each other I think I *might* be able to tell the difference, but once it is set into a ring, I doubt I would notice it. The jeweler implied that an H would have an ugly gray/yellow cast to it. The salesman was a bit sketchy and I didn''t really get a good vibe from him, so I am assuming that H would be fine... For those that own H coloured diamonds, how do you think they look?

Thanks!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 11:18:51 AM
Author:Miss_Cupcake
...in terms of colour?

I posted a few days ago about a stone I had on hold at GOG. It is an H/VS2 cushion.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thoughts-on-this-chunky-cushion.110867/

My plan was to wire the $$ over today, but now I am worrying about the H colour. I thought I would be fine with it, but I went to a locale jeweler this weekend, and they told me basically that anything lower than F/G is terrible. I know a lot of people here have lower coloured stones, but it did get me thinking. When two stones are put up next to each other I think I *might* be able to tell the difference, but once it is set into a ring, I doubt I would notice it. The jeweler implied that an H would have an ugly gray/yellow cast to it. The salesman was a bit sketchy and I didn't really get a good vibe from him, so I am assuming that H would be fine... For those that own H coloured diamonds, how do you think they look?

Thanks!

The jeweller is spewing crap you even said yourself he seemed sketchy, your cushion is STUNNING I would highly doubt it would have any kind of ugly on it.

GOG has a fantastic return policy should there be an issue you can return it - I wouldn't worry though. I know I for one would be estastic to get that chunky goodness of a diamond
18.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 11:18:51 AM
Author:Miss_Cupcake
...in terms of colour?

My plan was to wire the $$ over today, but now I am worrying about the H colour. I thought I would be fine with it, but I went to a locale jeweler this weekend, and they told me basically that anything lower than F/G is terrible. I know a lot of people here have lower coloured stones, but it did get me thinking. When two stones are put up next to each other I think I *might* be able to tell the difference, but once it is set into a ring, I doubt I would notice it. The jeweler implied that an H would have an ugly gray/yellow cast to it. The salesman was a bit sketchy and I didn't really get a good vibe from him, so I am assuming that H would be fine... For those that own H coloured diamonds, how do you think they look?

Thanks!
Poppycock and balderdash!
20.gif
This is probably sour grapes as they didn't get the sale. I quite honestly wouldn't worry, a reliably graded H colour is a real sweet spot for many, will still be plenty white and that cushion will be gorgeous!!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's possible the salesman above deals in diamonds from labs with notably soft standards which are not well cut (?) or he was trying to create fear about your pending purchase, hoping to make a sale. My response would have been to ask him to show me any H colored diamonds he has there in his own store - so I could see the gray/yellow he's talking about.

Have no fear about the H you're considering.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
I have an H vs2 diamond! (in my avatar) It looks lovely =D

When it was set in the ring, the designer set similar colored pave into the ring so it doesn't stick out in color and I think it looks really nice. Can I tell it's more yellow than a D- definitely. But if I were to look at it normally without comparing it, I can't really tell.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You saw the video and have to admit the difference between the E, G and H is almost impossible to see. The stone you picked is gorgeous! I''d have have no worries about an H. Your jeweler just wants you to get nervous about purchasing from someone other than himself! Don''t let him succeed because GOG has an excellent reputation for hand picking their cushions.

Many people prefer lower colors (J, K, M) in cushions as it creates more of an antique look but H isn''t considered low at all.

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
Color is such a personal thing and dependent on an individuals visual acuity, color sensitivity, preferences etc.. I am fairly color sensitive. My G would bug me in some lighting conditions but it was a gorgeous diamond. GOG has a solid return policy. You really need to see the stone for yourself. If you are worried that you are color sensitive, go visit a reputable jeweler and have them pull out an F, G, H and see if you can tell the difference. Another option is to take your H to an appraiser and look at their reference stones for an F and G and see if you can tell the difference not knowing which is which.

BTW, I think your cushion is lovely.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't be worried about an H color at all! As long is it is well cut it will be beautiful! Good Old Gold really knows how to pick them so I wouldn't worry at all. I saw yours in the video and I think it's amazing :) I have an I colored cushion that looks so bright and sparkly people are amazed when I tell them it's an I color (well the few friends that actually know anything about diamond color). Just remember, just because it's Near-Colorless doesn't mean it's not as good or as beautiful as a Colorless. It just means that it is less rare. I get so many compliments on my cushion I feel silly for every worrying about the I color. :) Good Luck and just do what is right for you
2.gif
In my case I guess I'm not that color sensitive but it helps the my cushion sparkles like crazy
30.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Miss Cupcake- I agree 100% with my esteemed colleague John.
I believed you experienced a very jealous salesperson, doing whatever they could to spoil your enjoyment- shame on them!!

There''s no question GOG will take great care of you!

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
BTW Here is a picture of my I color cushion for reference:

VGirlsCushion2822.jpg

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Yup - I agree. That salesman is an idiot. H color is not low at all, *especially* in a well cut stone.

I had a salesman tell me once...you should NEVER get a diamond with fluourescence, when in fact there are times when fluour helps the diamond look whiter, and also times when it makes it look very beautiful IMO. So we continued to debate about it, but I was armed with my knowledge from PS!! Ha ha! Touche!

You''ve made a great choice...don''t worry! Also, GOG has a great video on color here.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry about "H" ... I have a step-cut GIA "H" and its very, very white. Your cushion is going to be throwing a RAINBOW of colors & crazy fire. You absolutely will not regret an "H" color (IMHO).

If you go in with worries about it - you might start thinking yellow walls reflecting into the stone is the STONE being tinted etc -- so it''ll take some time to be PERFECTLY 100% sure your stone is as white as you''d like. You''ll be testing it in all areas, in all lighting conditions etc! But don''t let that skeevy salesguy get all up & in your head. Just trust it''ll be okay and then verify once you get it -- you''ll be getting an independent appraisal at some point, right? My appraiser actually guessed my stone was a "G" at first. Things look even whiter when set in white metal settings! Where they are graded alone, upside down on white paper ..

No worries! I pinky swear!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
How low would I go? As long as they are well cut and eye clean, I LOVE diamonds in all shades and colors except black. Certain shades of white suit certain designs better and I recently bought a K ''cuz the soft white flatters the antique-ish cut of the cushion and classic setting.

Your H/VS2 is a stunner. Buy it with confidence! But if you''re still bothered by the ''letter'' despite the beauty of the stone and the approvals you''re getting here in PS, then I guess you ought to get a ''mind-cleaner'' stone. Sometimes, it really is in the mind.
41.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
The jeweler doesn''t know what he''s talking about. Either that or he does, and is just trying to sell you a more expensive diamond. I have an H VS2 also, and it''s breath-taking! Don''t second guess yourself, you''ve picked a gorgeous stone!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I forgot to add. Now that I have my engagement ring and I''ve seen how incredibly icy white it looks, I probably won''t ever go higher than a J again. I''m currently looking at K, L, and M stones with strong blue fluorescence for a pendant!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my old H (RB though) was TOO WHITE for me. i actually prefer a lower color against my skin tone....my current stone is a J but i would prob even go with an exceptionally cut K.

vgirl, that photo is stunning.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I watched this video and it helped me realize that I am much more color sensitive than I thought. I think the lowest I would be comfortable going is an I. H looked awesome to me, but J is where it got funky for me.

Miss_Cupcake

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the reassurance! I feel good about going with the stone. Very worst case scenario I can always return it if I am not happy with it, but honestly I love it a little more every time I see the video! I am so glad I found PS and am not relying solely on sketchy salesmen.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That really makes me mad that a salesman would tell such a blatant lie or else be so totally ignorant!! I have an H VS1 and it is totally white in normal lighting, but beware that if you have yellowish lighting or yellow or tan walls, you may be tricked into thinking you see color, but it is the environment, not the diamond! The other time I think I can see color is in my car when the sun is shining through the tinted windows. But when I am outside in natural light, it looks as white/colorless as it can be! I can''t even see color in it up against a white background.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 11:33:18 AM
Author: John Pollard
It's possible the salesman above deals in diamonds from labs with notably soft standards which are not well cut (?) or he was trying to create fear about your pending purchase, hoping to make a sale. My response would have been to ask him to show me any H colored diamonds he has there in his own store - so I could see the gray/yellow he's talking about.

Have no fear about the H you're considering.
I completely agree with John; most often, the 'local' goods are graded by softer labs so that influences the suggestion to stay above H.

Also keep in mind that there can be a vested interest in steering you toward a higher color - there's a premium for colorless stones (D/E/F).

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 4:13:30 PM
Author: Mara
my old H (RB though) was TOO WHITE for me. i actually prefer a lower color against my skin tone....my current stone is a J but i would prob even go with an exceptionally cut K.

vgirl, that photo is stunning.
Thanks Mara :) I also wanted to add... I think if mine were any brighter people would think it''s a Cubic Zirconia! LOL! Hahahaha!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an H color and its gorgeous!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely don''t let those local jewelers scare you, they just like it when people pay extra for the high-color premium! Don''t worry an instant about an H cushion!!!

And if by chance something doesn''t work out with the stone, GOG has one of the best return/trade-in policies in the biz.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 5:53:47 PM
Author: Miss_Cupcake
Thanks for all the reassurance! I feel good about going with the stone. Very worst case scenario I can always return it if I am not happy with it, but honestly I love it a little more every time I see the video! I am so glad I found PS and am not relying solely on sketchy salesmen.
Glad you''re feeling better! No need to let some sketchy saleman ruin your chance at a fab cushion!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 8:06:51 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
That really makes me mad that a salesman would tell such a blatant lie or else be so totally ignorant!! I have an H VS1 and it is totally white in normal lighting, but beware that if you have yellowish lighting or yellow or tan walls, you may be tricked into thinking you see color, but it is the environment, not the diamond! The other time I think I can see color is in my car when the sun is shining through the tinted windows. But when I am outside in natural light, it looks as white/colorless as it can be! I can''t even see color in it up against a white background.

That happens with my E colour sometimes as well - it is just a trick of lighting :)

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t worry about your choice at all. Souns like your salesman just wanted you to buy from him instead. If you like the diamond, I say go for it and don''t let an old salesman influence you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results