shape
carat
color
clarity

how low (pricewise) will they go?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

avs

Rough_Rock
A general question.
I am shopping for the high grade cut diamond and looked at one I liked yesterday at Bailey Banks & Biddle store - Lazare Kaplan stone, 1.54 C, H, VVS2, depth 62%, crown 15.6%, table 55.1%. They were asking 21K then said they can sell it for 19.4K. I am wondering how far can a seller usually go down - 5%, 10%?

Thank you.
twirl.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello and Welcome AVS;

Retail chain stores such as BBB have large prices because they are usually in malls with large overhead. They charge a fair price but you might want to find an ideal cut or a super ideal cut diamond here on the internet with the same weight color and clarity or better for much less. Don't let them push you by saying they can't hold the diamond. There is always another diamond if that one is sold.

L.K. diamonds have been cutting ideal cut diamonds long before most diamond cutters these days were born and they do an excellant job. But they are not the only ones cutting ideals these days.

Yes, you can get a better deal for the same quality diamond.

How far will BBB go down in there price? Who knows.

Good luck.

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
depends on how high they have it marked up
2.gif

I can tell you I got a sweet supertcert diamond that was bigger (1.73), much whiter(E), better cut (its a gorgeous suberbcert!), and VS1 for much, much less than 19.4k. But if you're the type that likes to pay more for the name, go right ahead. I almost did (you should see my first posts here!).

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/20/2003 2:35:41 PM avs wrote:

A general question.
I am shopping for the high grade cut diamond and looked at one I liked yesterday at Bailey Banks & Biddle store - Lazare Kaplan stone, 1.54 C, H, VVS2, depth 62%, crown 15.6%, table 55.1%. They were asking 21K then said they can sell it for 19.4K. I am wondering how far can a seller usually go down - 5%, 10%?----------------

Hi, AVS: Run......RUN the other way as fast as you can. What if I told you that you could get a SuperbCert (Branded Ideal) stone, 1.54 c, H, VVS2 stone with a GIA cert for just over $12K online? You can get a MUCH better deal with a SOLID cert for a great deal less than $19-21K!

Here are four stones I found on Pricescope with the same general characteristics as yours for a HECK OF A LOT LESS money:

1.54 carat (SuperbCert); H; VVS2....$12060/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Depth:60.9/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Table:55/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Crown Angle:34.4°/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Pavilion Angle:40.8°/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Cert:GIA/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Culet:very small/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Polish:excellent/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Symmetry:excellent/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Fluorescence:no/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

1.45 carat; H; VS2.......$8400

Depth:59.8/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Table:56/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Crown Angle:33.7°/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Pavilion Angle:40.8°/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Cert:GIA/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Culet:none/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Polish:excellent/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Symmetry:excellent/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Fluorescence:no/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]> /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]> /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

1.5 carat (SuperbCert); G; VS2....$12427/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Depth:60.1/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Table:57/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Crown Angle:33.8°/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Pavilion Angle:41°/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Culet:pointed/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Fluorescence:medium blue/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

1.55 carat (A Cut Above); F; VS2....$14687/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Depth:60.8/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Table:56/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Crown Angle:34.6°/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Pavilion Angle:40.7°/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Cert:AGS/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Culet:faceted/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Polish:ideal/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Symmetry:ideal/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Fluorescence:none
/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>
AVS, you can do much, much better than Bailey, Banks & Biddle in my personal opinion. Good luck.
/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

avs

Rough_Rock
Thank you aljdewey and everyone who responded. I am complete newbie in this and thus every opinion matters very much for me.
I am just feel uneasy about buying the stone online, what if you don't like the way it looks?
aljdewey, you mentioned Pricescope - do you know if they have any return policy (in case you don't like the stone)?
Thank you

barry

Shiny_Rock
avs;

Let me chime in here.
Many internet vendors have a return policy with full refund
if you are not satisfied.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Avs:
----------------
aljdewey, you mentioned Pricescope - do you know if they have any return policy (in case you don't like the stone)?
----------------
Pricescope is a diamond price comparison and education site for consumers. It doesn't sell diamonds and hence have no return policy!
1.gif

avs

Rough_Rock
Bob,
It was nice talking to you.
I am looking for Ideal(Super Ideal) cut diamond 12-14K range.
Color G-H, clarity VVS1-VS2.
email [email protected]

Thank you for your time.
Anatoliy Smirnov

avs

Rough_Rock
Hi Lugus,
Where did you buy yours?
Thanks,
Anatoliy

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
avs, I bought it straight from Barry at www.superbcert.com. In fact, my twin sister just got engaged (the same day - wierd huh?) and since they haven't bought the stone yet, I'm suggesting they go to Barry like I did.

They have a full refund policy, and they offter a TON of information about each of their stones so you can check them out before you buy. Buying a superbcert is a great way to ensure that you get an awesome stone.

Another person who was super helpful and get's some great stones is Jonathon at www.goodoldgold.com. His sight has some great tutorials as well that you might want to read.

It's amusing reading your post, because it's SO similar to my first posts here
1.gif
Congratulations in advance for getting a better stone for less money.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/20/2003 4:37:56 PM avs wrote:
Thank you aljdewey and everyone who responded. I am complete newbie in this and thus every opinion matters very much for me.
I am just feel uneasy about buying the stone online, what if you don't like the way it looks?
Thank you----------------
AVS: I was in the same place you are......hesitant and uneasy about buying online. After a few months here, I can tell you that I would now be waaaaaaaaaay more uneasy about the prospect of buying from a "bricks and mortar", mall store than I EVER would be in buying from any number of reputable vendors on this forum.

These people are exceedingly honest. They won't try to tell you that six other people are clamoring for the stone you're considering so HURRY, HURRY, HURRY and BUY like you'd likely get at a store location. They won't try to sway you into a larger diamond by implicating that size reflects how much you love your intended.
I believe these vendors have more extensive access to well-cut stones and most give a generous return policy to ease your concerns about buying sight unseen. Additionally, there are some really great, ethical appraisers who contribute to this forum....you can have an online vendor send a diamond you're interested in directly to an appraiser for evaluation prior to making a final decision.

An added benefit.....purchasing online will save you a good deal of money in sales tax.

Take a bit of time to read the archives of this forum and read some of the vendor sites....I promise it will be time well spent educating yourself, and I'm sure you'll make a great purchase!

rockshock

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/21/2003 11
6.gif
9:14 AM aljdewey wrote:

AVS: I was in the same place you are......hesitant and uneasy about buying online. After a few months here, I can tell you that I would now be waaaaaaaaaay more uneasy about the prospect of buying from a "bricks and mortar", mall store than I EVER would be in buying from any number of reputable vendors on this forum.
----------------

I couldn't agree more...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results