shape
carat
color
clarity

How long have you held on to a loose stone...

tigian

Ideal_Rock
before setting it? Where did you keep it? Was it insured?
I'm thinking of buying a stone from GOG and waiting to purchase its mate (diamond studs) towards the end of the year. Should I have them hold onto the stone so it will reduce the risk/costs of shipping back and forth? Do I still need to insure it if it stays at GOG? Is it silly to buy a stone that I won't be able to enjoy for a while? Thoughts?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
buy a stone when it meets your quality and emotional criteria, and when you can afford it!You will never get another chance to own that stone again, so if its the one then buy it and put it away for future use.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been collecting fancy colored diamonds for a few years now.
I store them in this box which lives in a bank vault away from our home.

I may never set them.

I'm sure this will never happen but if (God forbid) GOG were to go belly up you will wish your paid-for diamond was not stored there.
I'd take possession and store it in a safe place or keep it around to enjoy it.
Insure it if that makes you happy.

box2.png

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Kenny,Kenny,Kenny! You are so cruel!Posting pictures of your collection like that makes me wanna cry...because its not MINE!This is the perfect example of why to buy a gem when you find it(or it finds you)!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jewelerman|1309028203|2954893 said:
Kenny,Kenny,Kenny! You are so cruel!Posting pictures of your collection like that makes me wanna cry...because its not MINE!This is the perfect example of why to buy a gem when you find it(or it finds you)!

Indeed.
I bought a few of these the moment they were listed.
I later found out another buyer wanted to buy the red a couple hours after I grabbed it on the day it showed up.
You snooze, you lose. :praise:

More pics here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/[/URL]

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ten years and counting?

I rarely set my stones. I keep them in an off-premises security deposit box in Central London - it works out a lot cheaper than riders on household insurance!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
jewelerman|1309026906|2954875 said:
buy a stone when it meets your quality and emotional criteria, and when you can afford it!You will never get another chance to own that stone again, so if its the one then buy it and put it away for future use.
Okay, well I found a stone that is perfect for me. I went ahead and reserved it. I thought to myself, "would I be devastated if the stone wasn't available anymore?" Answer: yes

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, what a gorgeous collection! I knew you had several loose stones, but I didn't know to what extent. Looks like it could be in an museum! :love: :love: :love:
Pandora-I guess I just kind of feel guilty about having a stone sit in my possession without wearing it. But if you rarely set your stones and some have been for 10 years, heck, I shouldn't worry about one stone. Thanks!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
congrats!make sure its in your possession...not being held by another party!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had a loose diamond for going on almost 2 years now. It's insured on our homeowner's policy. I'm indecisive about settings, what can I say? :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Several years...

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1309058580|2955193 said:
I've had a loose diamond for going on almost 2 years now. It's insured on our homeowner's policy. I'm indecisive about settings, what can I say? :)
What kind of stone is it, Laila? Hope you don't mind me being nosy. What are your choices in settings?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results