shape
carat
color
clarity

How long did it take you to lose pregnancy weight...

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
... and how did you lose it?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
4.5 months, and a low carb diet for 30 days did the trick.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I gained 60lbs. Lost 50 in 12 months from BFing alone. Then lost the last 10lbs (and 10 more) on Weight Watchers in about 6 months.

I honestly think WW is great for this type of thing. I plan to do it again to lose the weight from this pregnancy. In less time.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I didn't gain much weight during pregnancy, and most of the weight seemed to be baby-related so I was almost back to the same size about a month or so after labour, give or take about 7 lbs.

Breastfeeding helped a lot. I'm still about 5 lbs heavier than I was pre-pregnancy, though. Those last few lbs have been especially stubborn, I guess I need to start exercising in order to get rid of them.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gained 36 while pregnant, lost 20 within the first 2 weeks after delivery. I've only been able to drop another 3-5 lbs in the last 7.5 months (but I'm not doing anything to really try to lose it).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sucked!

I gained 35 (or about 37, actually). Lost 15 with the kid and lost NOTHING for 2 years afterward. I couldn't breast feed. I think I actually got fatter.

Last year I got sick of it and decided to really work it. Exercise, and I used WW to keep track of points (it's just calorie counting, but it's a lot more fun using WW). Dropped the 20 in about 5 months.

So now I am back to prepreggo...I'd say it took 2.5 years. And I still have at least another 15 to go, bleech!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I gained 34 pounds and had it all off within 5 or 6 months, I think- all from exclusively pumping. However, post-weaning is another story...gained 5 pounds back ;(

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Gained 70+lbs and dropped the lot in 3.5 months. Breastfeeding on demand did it for me. I'm now 8lbs down from pre-pg weight.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
MustangGal|1305129165|2918550 said:
4.5 months, and a low carb diet for 30 days did the trick.

I should mention I gained about 35 pounds and had a c-section, and only breastfed for 5 weeks. I didn't get on a scale for a bit after delivery, but when I went back to work at 9 weeks I had 12 extra pounds. At 3.5 months I was still up 8 pounds and that's when I'd had enough and started cutting carbs.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
I gained about 37 lbs last time and lost it all in about 6 months. I exclusively breast fed by daughter which helped a lot. I also walked a ton since she would NOT nap in her crib for the longest time - only in her stroller while we were out walking. That being said, I didn't work very hard at it since I knew we would be trying for another child sooner than later so I never did get back into good shape even though I did lose the weight.

mrs

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
1st pregnancy - gained 30lbs, was 2lbs under pre-pregnancy weight after 2 months. Lost weights from breastfeeding.

2nd pregnancy - gained 34lbs, took 6 months to get back to my pre-1st pregnancy weight. Lost most of it from breastfeeding, and the last few pounds from counting calories/eating better.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Erg. Here goes.

I gained 14 pounds with Micah. Lost all of it, and then some (I was 15 pounds under my PP weight 7 days after having him) because it was so sick I couldn't eat. Now? Uh...let's not go there, lol. I know I have gained more than I'd care to admit, and I'm not sure why, considering I'm more active AND eat better. Oh well.

geri

Shiny_Rock
I gained about 27 pounds and lost about 20 in the first 6-8 weeks. The remaining 5 or so are still there at 3.5 months post birth but I am no longer BFing and haven't been doing any exercise other than pushing the pram so not really a surprise. I fit into my pre-preggo pants so the excess is all in the muffin top around my middle. Not sure I will ever have a waist again!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gained about 45 pounds - and it was a REAL 45 pounds. No water weight here! :bigsmile: I lost 33lbs by 3 months out just by breastfeeding. I lost the last 12lbs over the next 5 weeks on WW. So, it took about 4.5 months.

LS, I'm SO nervous that weaning will equal weight gain. I've definitely gotten used to the additional calories.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Gained 40 lbs.

I lost the first half in the 2 weeks after giving birth. Didn't lose another pound for 9 months. I just assumed it would come off at some point, especially since I BF'd for 7 months.

At the 9 month point, January, I started a low-carb diet and began working out 4 days a week, 1 of which is with a trainer. I lost the last half in 3 months.

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
First time, gained 30 or so and lost it all and a few more lbs around 4 months from breastfeeding as well as working out.

Second time, gained right around 20 and lst it all within a month from breastfeeding and working out again.

Third time, gained almost 20 and lost it all around 3 weeks from breastfeeding and being active, going on walks with the kids etc.

I have always been active and in pretty good shape so as soon as I felt up to it, I started working out. For me, breastfeeding worked wonders.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure how much weight I gained as I never saw the end figure in the hospital when still pregnant but I was 52kg when I first got pregnant went down to 46kg in the first due to morning sickness and left the hospital at 50kg a week after she was born.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
So..let's see...London is the oldest at 7..so, 7 years and I'm down about 11 pounds from when I had her. I gained 42# I think w/her. I figure by the time I'm 73 I'll be back to my pre pg weight.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I'm overweight to start with. With both of my kids I was at my pre-preggo weight and size within days of birth. Lily is not quite ten months. I got down almost 30 lbs under pre-reggo weight within a few months but gained a bunch back. I think the biggest factor in how long you hang onto the weight is how much you gain to begin with. I worked out as long as I could while pregnant and just watched what I ate after birth. Not to the point of counting calories and everything, just telling myself that I really didn't need that bowl of ice cream just because I was up at midnight. I'm also a big fan of walking the baby in a stroller.

But, the bottom line is every woman's body is different. Some will hang onto the weight even if they only gained 20 lbs. Some who gained 40 (like my neighbor) will drop it within 2 weeks. Try not to stress about weight. Think about how you feel physically and mentally. That's a better indication of health than a number on a scale.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I gained about 40 lbs overall, and I think the first time I weighed myself several weeks post-partum I was still up about 15-20. I breastfed, and it didn't melt the way off for me the same way that it does for some people. I got serious about more intense workouts and eating really healthy food around maybe 7-8 months post-partum when it was becoming clear that it wouldn't be "9 months on, 9 months off" -- I had started working out at 6 weeks post-partum but got more serious about it at that point -- and I managed to get all of the weight off by 10-11 months post-partum. Over the next few months, I also got an extra 5 lbs or so off, which put me down to my "normal" weight - I was a little bit heavier than normal when I got pregnant.

CatLuver

Shiny_Rock
I gained 45 lbs from stuffing my face in the latter half of pregnancy. Lost 25.5 in 3 weeks, and a little over 1 lb per week since then, and have 8 lbs to go at 11 weeks. Mostly from breastfeeding and a few workouts (about 10 total).

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I gained 48 lbs. while pregnant. I was thin to begin with (BMI under 20). A week after giving birth I had only lost 15 pounds, so that left 33 pounds to lose. I lost about two pounds a month after that. By 15 months I'd lost 41 pounds, but I still have that last 7 pounds to lose. I've been exercising (I ran a 10k last month) and eating well, but I haven't really pushed myself to try to get the last 7 pounds off. I'm not sure I really need to lose it (my BMI is around 21 now), and I'm a little afraid that if I lose more, it will just make my extra stomach skin from pregnancy more droopy/loose.

I can fit into my pre-pregnancy pants now, although my 0s are unattractively tight; the weight gain seems to be more in the stomach and upper body.

I just wanted to share my experience because it seems like everyone I know had these magic stories of losing the weight instantly or within a few months. There's the expression, "9 months on, 9 months off," but for me 9 months came and went and I was still two to three sizes above my pre-pregnancy size. I really started to worry that I was never going to get back to a weight I was comfortable with. Now that I know I can do it but that it may be a slow process, I think I'll have a better attitude the second time around.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
3 weeks after giving birth I could button up some of my jeans - I probablly gained around 25-30kgs (around 66 pounds) of which most was fluid (which is why it dropped so quickly I think) and baby (she was 9 pound and 12 ounces) I could fit into my tops straight away however I am still finding my hips wider then they used to be - I am hoping this is not permanant.

I have not started a diet yet - plan to do WW soon but I find breastfeeding to really help with the weight loss - I feed her on demand and since she really likes to eat it seems to drop off - however I have never been so unbelieveably hungry in my whole life.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
UGH! I gained about 30 lbs and lost 15 immediately after the birth. I didn't do anything for the next three months and just focused on eating healthy food and letting my body heal from the trauma of birth! My friend warned me not to lose a ton of weight right after giving birth because then I'd end up with a lot of loose skin. So I've been trying to lose weight as slowly as possible and started working out every day after 3.5 months. I didn't have a flat belly until about 14 weeks. :knockout: It really surprised me how depressed I felt from losing my figure after the birth. I didn't expect to feel like I lost my identity/sense of self but it was really an out of body experience feeling that way. I didn't feel comfortable in my own skin and in clothes...felt very uncomfortable with a "fluffy" belly. It really did a number on my self esteem! I really expected to snap back immediately and that was, I think, my biggest mistake. Now I'll know what to expect so it'll be a lot easier mentally to deal with!

So far, I have about 5-7 lbs to go. I started off at pretty low weight (113, 5'4") with a big chest so it's tough to shave off the last few pounds. I'm thinking that it'll be gone in a few weeks since I've been working out again. :cheeky: For me, breastfeeding seems to make me hold on to the weight because I used to eat much much more and be super thin. Now, I eat "clean" as the bodybuilders say; and shockingly, it is taking a longer time than I thought to lose the last several lbs!!!

I feel like my body is holding on to the last several pounds because I'm BFing. Weird. That or because of the hormones? Everyone says BFing burns a ton of calories but then I did research and the pounds fall off between 3-6 months of BFing and only for some women. Other women drop it once they wean. Sigh. I also think my super huge boobs are to blame for at least a few of the pounds. D/E cup size boobs, anyone? I look like a freak adult entertainment movie character or something with these huge udders. I'm sure each one weighs a ton, so maybe that's where the weight is hiding? OMG... huge... I cannot WAIT to have my body back. It throws everything off! GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....... :errrr: And when does the linea nigra go away?! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
baby #1 - gained 32 lbs
baby #2 - gained 26 lbs

was down to my pre baby weight at about 4.5 mos both times, thanks to breastfeeding. however, it took many more months for things to feel the same and clothes to fit properly!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora|1305136991|2918752 said:
Gained 70+lbs and dropped the lot in 3.5 months. Breastfeeding on demand did it for me. I'm now 8lbs down from pre-pg weight.

OMG, this is me EXACTLY. I gained 75 lbs :oops: but dropped it all in the 1st 4 months from breastfeeding (he never took a bottle). He is now 11 months and I am down an extra 8-10lbs from my pre-preg weight (which was on the low side when I got pregnant).

I got lucky with this child bc I certainly am not dieting. Not so lucky with my 1st (but I didn't breastfeed very long with him).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Total of 7mo ... got 4/5 of the way there at 4-5mo but it wasn't until I weaned at 6mo and my cycles/hormones started to re-regulate that the rest came off. I worked out ... but only about 1/2 of what I used to do and ate mostly healthily...but it almost seems like my body/hormones changed because it's been 'easier' to keep it off than it used to be. Or maybe I'm just more active chasing after a baby than I used to be!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results