shape
carat
color
clarity

How long did it take to save for upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
I realize some of you are lucky enough not to have to wait for a piece of jewelry but for those who saved for the upgrade, how long did it take you to save and would you also mind sharing how much per month? (Don''t have to say for how many months as I know that''d give away how much it cost.)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think each person saves a different amount depending on their finances. If I was going to save up for something I would probably save around $1000 monthly. That would be a comfortable amount and still leave enough for anything we might need over the month.

Do you have an upgrade in mind?
1.gif

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 12:32:55 PM
Author: Maisie
I think each person saves a different amount depending on their finances. If I was going to save up for something I would probably save around $1000 monthly. That would be a comfortable amount and still leave enough for anything we might need over the month.

Do you have an upgrade in mind?
1.gif
It started out as wanting a pendant (which my DH was totally for), but of course I found PS and then I thought, hmm, how about an e-ring upgrade and original stone in pendant. Same thing, right? Well, that''s what I tell my DH.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutely the same thing! Lol! I hope you get what you want. What do you have just now?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
My WF ring was an ''upgrade'' as it was not my orig e-ring. We decided on the upgrade before I found Pricescope and had saved for a year. Once I (thankfully) found PS and WF the budget went up by just over €4k including taxes (which were a shock) so from beginning to end was about 1.5 years. I was very happy with that.

Our anniversary is coming up this year and I had hoped to upgrade again to a new huge stone but events have conspired against that plan so we are now saving monthly for our anniversary trip & presents. Again it will take us about a year to pay for all that.

I prefer not to mention amounts.

Why the question Peepa?

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 1:13:37 PM
Author: Steel
My WF ring was an ''upgrade'' as it was not my orig e-ring. We decided on the upgrade before I found Pricescope and had saved for a year. Once I (thankfully) found PS and WF the budget went up by just over €4k including taxes (which were a shock) so from beginning to end was about 1.5 years. I was very happy with that.

Our anniversary is coming up this year and I had hoped to upgrade again to a new huge stone but events have conspired against that plan so we are now saving monthly for our anniversary trip & presents. Again it will take us about a year to pay for all that.

I prefer not to mention amounts.

Why the question Peepa?
Oh, I''m just curious and because we''re saving too.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m saving right now to reset my ering & get an eternity band to go with it, and my husband & I are doing it in a fun way. He has made me "gift certificates" for "jewelry credits" that he''s giving me for holidays in the place of gifts (e.g. Xmas, Valentine''s, etc.) He''s been putting cash on the side each time he gives me a "gift certificate," so that when I finally decide what I want, we will use that money.

Before when he bought me jewelry, he just paid cash out of savings, but with the failing economy, we''re trying to increase our savings since we''re a single-income family. We''ve just paid off all of our credit cards & he''s almost done paying off his student loans for his MBA, and we have been focusing on growing our savings & using cash-only for purchases, so this new plan is a fun way to budget for my luxury jewelry purchases.

And as for how long it will take, I think that it will take about a year or two to get the upgrades that I want, depending on how fancy the new ering setting that I choose will be, because I''m leaning towards going with Leon Mege, who isn''t the cheapest. I also love platinum, so that adds extra expense to the jewelry pieces.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 2:09:40 PM
Author: vespergirl
I''m saving right now to reset my ering & get an eternity band to go with it, and my husband & I are doing it in a fun way. He has made me ''gift certificates'' for ''jewelry credits'' that he''s giving me for holidays in the place of gifts (e.g. Xmas, Valentine''s, etc.) He''s been putting cash on the side each time he gives me a ''gift certificate,'' so that when I finally decide what I want, we will use that money.

Before when he bought me jewelry, he just paid cash out of savings, but with the failing economy, we''re trying to increase our savings since we''re a single-income family. We''ve just paid off all of our credit cards & he''s almost done paying off his student loans for his MBA, and we have been focusing on growing our savings & using cash-only for purchases, so this new plan is a fun way to budget for my luxury jewelry purchases.

And as for how long it will take, I think that it will take about a year or two to get the upgrades that I want, depending on how fancy the new ering setting that I choose will be, because I''m leaning towards going with Leon Mege, who isn''t the cheapest. I also love platinum, so that adds extra expense to the jewelry pieces.
What a fun idea vespergirl!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 3:26:18 PM
Author: Peepa

I''m saving right now to reset my ering & get an eternity band to go with it, and my husband & I are doing it in a fun way. He has made me ''gift certificates'' for ''jewelry credits'' that he''s giving me for holidays in the place of gifts (e.g. Xmas, Valentine''s, etc.) He''s been putting cash on the side each time he gives me a ''gift certificate,'' so that when I finally decide what I want, we will use that money.

Date: 2/20/2009 3:26:18 PM
Author: Peepa

Sounds like a great idea! I can''t wait to see what you end up with. I would love a Leon ring but I would have to save up forever to get one lol!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hrrmm..I''m sorry but I really don''t think other people''s experiences can help you with this - after all not only is every couple''s finances, situation and timeline different, but every upgrade is completely different and will cost who knows what..?

Peepa, just save what you and your partner can without compromising other things..*shrug*

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Peepa,
I hope you get the upgrade of your dreams.
1.gif

It took us 7 years to upgrade my stone. We didn''t save per se. But, we waited for our incomes to rise so that we didn''t have to debt-finance my upgrade (we have an aversion to unnecessary debt).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, like Harriet and her DH, we didn't save as such for my upgrade. We waited for 10 years until we were comfortable with our finances before parting with the moohlahs (well, technically 2 years really since I first had the upgrade idea, because I didn't really care much for diamonds before, believe it or not
6.gif
. I really wanted us to purchase our home and investments first). And we didn't finance our purchase either.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 11:03:33 PM
Author: Phoenix
Hmmm, like Harriet and her DH, we didn''t save as such for my upgrade. We waited for 10 years until we were comfortable with our finances before parting with the moohlahs (well, technically 2 years really since I first had the upgrade idea, because I didn''t really care much for diamonds before, believe it or not
6.gif
. I really wanted us to purchase our home and investments first).
Another one who was able to "save" more due to an increases in salary over time and feeling extremely confortable with my career, regular expenses and finances before spending on an upgrade.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 8:17:03 PM
Author: arjunajane
Hrrmm..I''m sorry but I really don''t think other people''s experiences can help you with this - after all not only is every couple''s finances, situation and timeline different, but every upgrade is completely different and will cost who knows what..?

Peepa, just save what you and your partner can without compromising other things..*shrug*
I totally agree with Arjunajane. I think it entirely depends on what you''re starting with, and where you''re planning on going and also what the "upgrade" policy is where you originally purchased your stone (if you''re going through the same company again).

For some couples, saving $20k in a year is easy...others would struggle to save $2k in a year...it completely depends.

Don''t measure yourself against anyone else...set a budget that you both can live with, and go from there.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 4:00:48 PM
Author: Lorelei

Ditto
This is what I should have written, so in other words +1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results