shape
carat
color
clarity

How long between point A and B??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EyeElle

Shiny_Rock
Hey All!

I was chatting with a friend of mine, who recently became an LIW (told her to come on over to this wonderful site
4.gif
)
And we talked about that and we got to talking about just low long the real wait it is.

So I was wondering, how long was it for you guys, before you actually got a proposal??
From the moment you started talking about it or shopping for a ring, to the proposal, how long was it??

For me personally we started talking about it about 1 year ago, went shopping for a ring about 5 months ago, and till this day I am still waiting. Its almost hard to imagine I survived that long
26.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
FF and I started talking marriage in about January of last year.

We got the heirloom diamond from my mom in July.

We have just started looking at rings and will be engaged before the end of the year.

So... start to finish? 1.5 - 2 years.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lets see...we started looking at rings in December ''06, I had the ring on my finger by early April ''07, then we got married that October.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
In the spring of 2007, I started talking about wanting to get engaged by the end of that year ('07). He was not ready. In the summer of 2008, we talked about it again, more seriously this time. In September, he started to look around for a ring, in December he bought the diamond, in Feb '09 he proposed. So, all in all, about 7 months from when we both felt ready to get engaged to the actual proposal.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
My timeline is similar to Elle''s, minus the heirloom stone part. We started talking about it early last year - January or February-ish. Went ring browsing for the first time about a month ago. The rest of the timeline, not so sure about, since I know the bulk of the ring shopping part is going to involve him talking to his friends'' jewelry "guy."

bootsiekin

Shiny_Rock
I am probably going to be in the minority here...

I think it was a few months, maybe 3-4 from the time DH said, (with a hypothetical tone) "So, would you want to wait to be done with grad school to get married or not?" until he proposed. No ring shopping for me
8.gif
..(I am the minority with that here, too!)..he is totally old fashioned. Honestly, I didn''t expect him to propose after only 2 years of dating and the whole thing was a complete surprise.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
We''ve talked seriously about the possibility of marriage for about 3 of the 4+ years of our relationship. He''s been ready for the past 2 to get married, but I wanted us to live together first (international/long-distance relationship). We''ve now lived together for 6 months and have recently (like last week?
1.gif
) had the talk that I am 100% ready too, so we have started saving and will probably be engaged within the next 6-9 months, bringing my wait to about 6-9 months and his wait to almost 3 years (4 if you count the not-so-serious talks!).
6.gif

Poor J, good thing he''s getting a shiny new computer as an engagement present otherwise he might be a grumpy dude.
3.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trying to remember....I looked at settings (and picked mine out) gave him the business card of the jeweler and said whenever he was ready this guy knows what I want. (I think it was over a year later, he obviously took his time. Haha) but on v-day 2005 he took me to the jewelery store and bought my setting to show me he WAS serious about marrying me. Looked at diamonds while we were there. I believe he bought the diamond sometime that March. Proposed May 27th, 2005. We had been dating a little over 4 years when he proposed.

ETA: it was worth the wait!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t join LIW (waaaay back in the day, before we had our own forum!) until we were already looking for a ring. So for me, I think it was about 10 months on the List!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
FI was waiting for me to be ready. We had been dating for 10 years, and he would have done it much earlier. But, I mentioned that I was thinking about it in May. We bought the ring in June and got engaged at the end of September.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We started talking about marriage about 6 months into the relationship, but started seriously discussing it about 1.5 years in. We were both ''ready'' after 2.5 years, and started looking at rings the following October-ish (of 2006).

We got the stone in early November ''06, and finalized our setting choice in early December ''06. Made the order around Dec. 15, got the ring sometime the last couple days of January ''07, and he proposed a few days later.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
We started talking about the possibility of marriage after 6 months in (we moved in together), but not seriously until about a month ago when we started looking at rings. My ring is being made now, so I''m not sure when Ill actually get it, lol!

katica

Shiny_Rock
My fiance first mentioned having babies together about 6-9 months into our relationship. Of course we both knew that we would prefer to get married first. But that discussion wasn''t serious. However in July 08 he told me I would have a ring ''soon''. He proposed V-day 09.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Our timeline still seems fast to me.

DH and I began discussing marriage after a couple of weeks of dating...as in "I won''t date anyone I wouldn''t consider marrying..."
After 6 months, we had a serious discussion about marriage - we were still in college.
At a year and a half, we started looking at rings online and at Maul stores. We went on a vacation together and I thought he *might* propose (he didn''t).
Two months later, we were full-swing into looking at rings. I''d decided which ring I wanted by April (about 2 mos of looking at rings).
He told me he''d ordered the ring in May.
Proposed in June, almost two years after we started dating.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Sigh! We had the odd line or two thrown into conversation about how ''marriage was something on my agenda one day'' at about the 2 and 1/2 year mark. Then at the end of 07 we looked at a couple of rings together. Now its early 2009 and i cant see it happening for a couple of years yet - but then i do have a contaigous affliction i got from pricescope...that of ''oh my gosh my diamond needs to be this big...no this big....no this big....''
31.gif
9.gif

in other words its going to be a while!!

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
I guess I''m also in the minority here, FI proposed first and then we shopped for it together. We talked about moving in together about 9 months into our relationship and he proposed on our anniversary (Oct 2008) and we started looking for the ring and I got it 3 days before Christmas 08. So I guess it took about 2.5 months
1.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
now DH and I started ring shopping and window shopping... and internet shopping... Feb of 2006. I got engaged October 20th of 2007. The first year was not so bad... but by April and May of 2007 - I became increasingly irritable... as I thought that by planting the seed, and looking and shopping... heck I didn''t even know what I liked or wanted... that the extra time was a good thing. Never hurts to start early... but Every day, week, and month that passed, made me more evil than medusa.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We had a hypothetical talk 4 months in, June 2007. Started poking around here November ''07, bought the stone May ''08, the setting November ''08, proposed in December! ...it was a slow process.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results