shape
carat
color
clarity

How long before the novelty wears off?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am strangely not that mad about anything I own but rather have a stable "This goes with a lot of outfits" relationship with the pieces.

They all were bought to assist with a certain look, on a certain day so while I love some of the pieces, even the less glamorous ones do their job. Sometimes they work harder than the glamorous ones due to being easy to wear or cheaper and more durable etc.

There is a ring I am not passionate about at all. But it is so functional it gets used a lot. I would miss it if I didn't have it.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, I believe we are of the Hunter Tribe. I barely have anything that is a sustained interest. I love the hunt. Then for a short time, the acquisition thrills, then it is time to go hunting again.
I say to myself...of the more expensive purchases that took ages to research and find...you bought it, now wear the damn thing. LOL
My only true love is my snake ring, and I wonder if that is because it seems to have a soul ...with those sparkly little eyes eyes and cute smile hahaha

Ps. Great article!
“It’s not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.”

– Charles Spurgeon

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, I believe we are of the Hunter Tribe. I barely have anything that is a sustained interest. I love the hunt. Then for a short time, the acquisition thrills, then it is time to go hunting again.
I say to myself...of the more expensive purchases that took ages to research and find...you bought it, now wear the damn thing. LOL
My only true love is my snake ring, and I wonder if that is because it seems to have a soul ...with those sparkly little eyes eyes and cute smile hahaha

Ps. Great article!

– Charles Spurgeon

I'm definitely in that tribe, and I don't mind.
I recently did a big overhaul of my pieces, which I think will keep me set for a bit.
Still wearing my the new ring in my avatar every day and it still stuns me with the color. It might be that the color of the pad is just so stunning to me, but time will tell! I still admire my 5 stone ring and I've had that for about 5 years if not more.

Most of the things I "want" in terms of staples and big categories are set, but I"m sure I"ll still be tempted if I see something that's a great deal and that I don't have any of!

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
I just read baby monster’s post above. Where can jewelry be rented via subscription??? Anyone know? Please tell! :geek2:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
renttherunway has jewelry but it's more like designer fashion jewelry than fine jewelry

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Thanks bludiva!

Are there also any higher end jewelry rental companies (besides in Hollywood)?? I also suffer from rapid onset hedonic adaptation when it comes to jewelry. Renting would be perfect for me!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the anticipation. Once I have something the novelty starts to wear off in a couple of months.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol @ rapid onset hedonic adaptation :lol: i don't know of any...i think it would be hard to insure high-end pieces for short-term rentals

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol @ rapid onset hedonic adaptation :lol: i don't know of any...i think it would be hard to insure high-end pieces for short-term rentals

When I borrow bling to try it out I temporarily insure it through my insurance company so it is possible. You just add it to your policy and pay and then you cancel it when you give the piece back and the insurance company will pro rate a refund for you. So it only ends up being a small amount of money to insure a borrowed piece and the peace of mind is priceless.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the longest time I’ve wanted a french cut band. I finally found one in my size and put it on layaway and got it last month and guess what? I was pretty disappointed. All this time I’ve been wanting one and when I got it, it just wasn’t sparkly enough for me. The diamonds were small and you really couldn’t tell they were French cut diamonds. It just really disappointed me and I tried to love it but just couldn’t. Since it was purchased on layaway I figured I couldn’t return it but lo and behold the seller allowed me to return it for a very small restocking fee.
The very next day I was searching on eBay and found a princess cut band with the exact detailing, specs, width and height I’d been searching for in a french cut band and for much cheaper than the French cut band I returned.
So I purchased that thinking I could just return if it wasn’t what I wanted, but I can honestly say I am estatic about it. The French cut diamonds were nice but I really needed a wider band with bigger diamonds to notice their sparkle. And I really didn’t want a french cut band wider than 2 mm bc I like to stack bands.
So of course now that I’ve found a compromise I am no longer wanting a french cut band. It’s funny bc all these years of wanting something (and then finally getting it) have just disappeared with the purchase of something else.
Now on with the hunt!

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ps. Great article!

– Charles Spurgeon
I love this @Jimmianne! We are the “Hunter Tribe”!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results