shape
carat
color
clarity

How important is size on the setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Greg G

Rough_Rock
I don''t want to give away that I''m shopping but I don''t know my girlfriends ring size. She has a ring she wears on the oposite hand that I can check out at night when she''s sleeping but that ring is a bit big (it always turns on her finger) so it''s not quite right. I think it can be fixed if it''s the wrong size but the idea of cutting or trying to stretch the ring after I buy it seems like a bad thing. What should I do?

-Greg

JOE_Q

Rough_Rock
Greg.
From what I understand, it's better to err on the side of too large. It's much easier and less costly for a jeweller to size a ring down than to stretch or add material in order to make the band larger. Sizing a ring down
is no big deal for a competent jeweller. Don't worry about it.
(bear in mind that I'm speaking as a novice in the subject and half the time
I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.)
9.gif

Best of luck with everything.
Joe.

andrea

Shiny_Rock
One finger size is not exactly the same on the other hand, so don't go by that.
Ask her why she doesn't wear that particular ring on the other hand, or
Try asking her if you can see her ring, and slip it onto your baby finger, and make a mental note. Come up with a stupid answer if she asks you why.
Then try the rings on yourself, and like the last reply, go a little larger.
Good luck
2.gif

Greg G

Rough_Rock
I did get her to try the ring on the other hand and it fit about the same. Good idea about trying it on my little finger. She takes it off when she goes to sleep so I can sneak it out for some sizing.

Thanks!

-Greg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't know what sort of setting you are considering but if it is an eternity style (e.g. diamonds all the way around), those are much harder to get resized than rings with a metal band. Just thought I'd mention it. It's pretty simple to resize a ring if its a metal type (e.g. solitaire or 3 stone), but with the eternity style, they have to remove the stones and re-set them after resizing. Can be a pain!
1.gif
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results