carat
color
clarity

How Important is Music to you?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just read that Fredde Mercury's personal belongings are being auctioned off at Sotheby in London. I think he was very talented,. and I enjoy listening to him. There are many artists that I enjoy listening to, but as with all music, I can only take it i smallish increments. I cannot listen to music all day. or even for a two hour drive. My parents like Opera, and Sundays was Opera day in our house so I was exposed to music early on. I sang in the choir since I am seven thru 32. But thats 1-3 hours total time --rehearsal and Sunday service. I prefer silence or some talk.

In __Platos Republic he says he would eliminate music from his Republic because it creates too much emotion in an individual. At the time I read it I did agree. Music affects me emotionally, to the point sometimes that I feel the emotion is too strong. Plato said rational reason is affected and thats why he would not have music in his Republic. Reason is paramount.

What do you think. Does music create too much emotion. Could you live without music.?

Annette

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very important to me, but I’ve been a musician most of my life. I do not constantly have music playing, though. If anything, too much is overwhelming. I like silence whenever I can get it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At so many points in my life it could have gone either way. Damonds- or Guitar player.
I choose both:)
Music is so very important to me

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
.my son actually owns a business that makes pickup's for guitars
Do tell!!!!
I’ve been a guitar lover my whole life.
Maybe I’ve heard of them.
What kind of pickups and what’s the name of the company

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very important. I couldn't get through my day without it and I am not resistant to becoming emotional . I like to hear how other people express themselves and if it makes me happy or sad, it's all good.

Case in point. Listening to my favorite station while driving, this song was played and I sobbed in my car. I am not capable of this genius, so I am grateful that someone is.

PS @Daisys and Diamonds Bruce is evocative. I could listen to dancing in the dark a millions times like I've never heard it before.

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI:

Very important. I couldn't get through my day without it and I am not resistant to becoming emotional . I like to hear how other people express themselves and if it makes me happy or sad, it's all good.

Case in point. Listening to my favorite station while driving, this song was played and I sobbed in my car. I am not capable of this genius, so I am grateful that someone is.

PS @Daisys and Diamonds Bruce is evocative. I could listen to dancing in the dark a millions times like I've never heard it before.

cheers--Sharon
:kiss2:
this is what racing in the street does to me every time
the coda and the outro are just jaw droppingly beautiful

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to elaborate on my initial reply. There is something about music that has always made me emotional, especially when experiencing it live as an audience member. Some of my earliest memories are of my mother taking us to the little opry and playhouses in adjacent counties and towns. I remember being so moved by the music that I had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, and I was incredibly embarrassed the first time it happened. Since then I’ve had to really compartmentalize and focus on not getting lost in the music so I don’t look silly. Not an easy feat, and I often fail. For a long time I used drinking (gotta love those intermission and pre show cocktails) to numb myself. Bad road to go down.

Someone came up with the term “collective effervescence” and it describes what I experience very closely. Others call it HSP, or having a highly sensitive personality. I don’t know that it needs a label, but I know that I look around and don’t see other people sniffling and wiping their eyes, or maybe they are and I don’t see them. I wish I didn’t feel so ashamed (it’s not really even shame, it’s just noticing that I’m becoming emotional while others are not), but I also wish I didn’t feel so deeply. The kids say these days “this song hits different” meaning that a song makes them feel emotions they aren’t used to feeling. I’m sure generations past had other terms for it; surely it cannot be a new thing.

Annnnd, it could just be that I’m a weepy, emotional person. My parents used to tell me I needed to develop a thicker skin. That is not easily done without becoming jaded or cynical, whatever you want to call it. I don’t have the answer to finding a happy medium but I’m not really on a mission to find out. I yam who I yam. I still couldn’t live without music but it’s kind of obvious why I said I prefer silence much of the time, so @smitcompton what you posted resonated with me.

Collective effervescence: https://thecorecollaborative.com/what-is-collective-effervescence/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could not live without music. It’s good for my soul. I listen to music many hours of the day. All different genres. I love the feelings music evokes. It is one of my passions

@monarch64 I am with you on this. From one HSP to another. ♥️

What I was just listening to a minute ago

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to have music when I am driving.

Used to be 80s pop, prefer classical nowadays.

I passed Piano Grade 8 when I was 14 (very strict HK Chinese upbringing).

Learnt to play the organ when I was at school, and had always sang in choirs.

I had not played the piano or the organ since I left school. However, I continued to sing.

Since I left school, I thought about learning to play a more portable instrument than a piano. The choices were the clarinet or a brass instrument such as a horn or a trumpet.

I came across recordings of Artie Shaw, the great clarinettist and big band leader, along with other great jazz music involving the clarinet. So the clarinet was chosen over a brass instrument.

I tried to learn to play the clarinet in late 90s and early 00's and did not get very far after the death of my late partner - we planned to play music together with him on the harmonica and me on the clarinet.

I decided to have another go with learning the clarinet in September 2019 and continued to this day, mostly via video conferencing with my teacher.

When I had some money to spare in 2020, I upgraded my plastic student clarinet to a professional wooden one just before the pandemic started.

So glad I upgraded the instrument as it made a heck of a difference in enjoyment of learning and playing.

I also bought a better than student level alto saxophone, with the plan to play that once I am better at playing the clarinet. I am currently Grade 5+, and have started to learn jazz techniques using books from Artie Shaw.

I still sing, in two local choirs: one for pop, soul and gospel music; and the other classical.

In short, I guess music is very important to me. Learning keeps me going, and there is a lot to learn in music.

DK :))

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In __Platos Republic he says he would eliminate music from his Republic because it creates too much emotion in an individual.

What was that man thinking?! You could say the same thing about art or love or food or... Would life even be worth living without "too much" emotion? It reminds me of an oft-quoted justification for having celibate clergy -- so one is not distracted by impure thoughts. Hard to think of anything that leads to more, um, distracting thoughts than celibacy.

I love celebratory music when I'm happy and sad music when I'm sad. It has certainly helped me cope in the latter scenario.

I'm losing my hearing (asymmetrically) and its unsettling to hear an old favorite on stereo headphones after a few-year hiatus and realize just how much is missing now. I would never voluntarily give that up. I still go to concerts with spouse and, if they are around, the kids. Always with earplugs now =)2

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Music used to be everything to me, it helped me have the strength to work my way through turbulent times and I've got many tattoos that are music related. I'm also a musician if my user name didn't give that away already.

However after finding my way into careers that chew up all my time, starting a family and a finger reattachment later I just don't play Bass as much as I used to. However I still blast up the music when driving between jobs and still enjoy my heavy metal!! But I relate to the musicianship moreso than lyrics now.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do tell!!!!
I’ve been a guitar lover my whole life.
Maybe I’ve heard of them.
What kind of pickups and what’s the name of the company

I would love to share but cannot, I didn't think of that when I posted this...his name is posted on the website and it breaks the rules and of course lets people know who I am and where I live...but there are many custom pickup makers out there and from what he tells me it makes a hugh difference in the way a guitar sounds so maybe do some googling he has many friends in the industry and he knows alot of competent people who own their own smaller custom pickup businesses. thanks

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
when i was a wee wee girl i would be out in the garden with Dad and he would have his trusty transister with him and i would change the channel to the classical station

My mum brought us everything that made a noise, toy drums, harmonicas, a triangle, a tambourine, cassanettes, recorders, tin whistles, a toy organ,
i used to get in trouble for many many things, but making 'music' was never ever one of them

i am so sad when i hear of parents who dont let the kids make music noise. to play a recorder or bash on a drum

when i was at intermediate school we did musical appreation once a week, listening to some classical piece. i am so so so glad we did

then first year at high school my school made music compulsary and we all learnt to read music and to play an instrument
that was the beat thing my school did

but i never really connected to anyone before Bruce
i mean i enjoyed and really loved music but it was just kind of background ambiance

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 7.02.40 AM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last quote. This is how I feel. It gets me out of my head when I need it
82338E40-85EE-44CB-8260-C4F1AFF61A70.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Infinitely!

Making and promulgating it is my #1.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Music = my soul.

I grew up listening to classical music played by my dad, rock by my brothers and for some reason was exposed to opera while I was living in London.
I've always loved salsa and came across bachata and reggaeton while I was dating a Venezuelan.
Music is always on at my house. I work with the music on in the background. I remember listening to music while I was studying for my exams at Uni. Weirdly enough, when I was at grad school, I didn't listen to music while preparing for exams.
Music brings back a lot of memories for me. Music is uplifting. Music is life.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I love everyone's reactions. Only Chopin can take me upward where his music feels beyond beautiful.
Daisy-- I like Roy Orbison and a very young Bruce Springsteen plays along with him, and you would enjoy it. Its called Black and White.
Monarch-- I recently came to the conclusion that you are an emotional person. I feel overwhelmed myself with music. I'm a dreamer by nature and the reverie is uncomfortable at times. So, I listen and then stop.

DK168. It is said that learning a new instrument helps keep the brain sharp. No dementia for you. The people you know will just have to put up with your attitude for a long time:)

Missy-- Love your sentiments. I do love music and music does give life richness.

Rock Diamond, Kenny, and LilAlex and Jordyonbass.-- I so like the male perspective. Three of you are musicians and give others enjoyment in life. Thats great! LiAlex - What you think is always an interesting addition.

Perhaps Plato only had the harp to bace his theory on.

The Mayo Clinic has pianos placed in different areas and the have choral groups come and sing. They let anyone who wants to, play those pianos. However, I have read that classical and folk music are conducive to healing.

Annette

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Hi,

Its so nice to see how comfortable you are in your own emotions Keep enjoying

Annette.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Music = my soul.

I grew up listening to classical music played by my dad, rock by my brothers and for some reason was exposed to opera while I was living in London.
I've always loved salsa and came across bachata and reggaeton while I was dating a Venezuelan.
Music is always on at my house. I work with the music on in the background. I remember listening to music while I was studying for my exams at Uni. Weirdly enough, when I was at grad school, I didn't listen to music while preparing for exams.
Music brings back a lot of memories for me. Music is uplifting. Music is life.

Hi,

You and I couldn't be roommates. The background music would have been too much for me.

I hope you are well and your health is good. I miss some investment talk, but it seems that it doesn't work well on PS. Too Bad.
Annette

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think anything that touches us so deeply that it engages emotions is cathartic and helps us in ways we may not recognize. I listen to soothing symphonies when I need to relax; the blues make me happy; and when I want to feel primally close to nature, I blast Original Peoples pow wow songs or warrior war cries.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I miss you very much Matata. Its too bad what's happened here. I come rarely.

Annete

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a few songs I find myself getting emotional over simply because I find them so beautiful. Others can bring a wave of emotion more so because of what was going on in my life at the time the song was released than the actual song Itself. Music can immedately bring us back in time.

Certain songs bring me joy and happiness, others give me strength.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss you very much Matata. Its too bad what's happened here. I come rarely.

Aww, thank you. I miss you too as well as the rollicking days of PS and have had to accept that things evolve and change sometimes in ways that are no longer compatible with our preferences. I do hope that the sections devoted to helping folks with their jewelry decisions remain healthy and can carry the forum forward into the future.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Music moves me, but it's not now a big part of my life.

I used to spend a lot of time listening to classical music. I was serious about it - I'd attend concerts regularly and listen to complete opera recordings with texts and translations in hand. But after a while, I came to realize that I'd reached my limits. That I lacked the concentration and brainpower to fully grasp the formal aspects of the music, and the emotional range to appreciate its depths. I knew what I liked and I liked what I knew. I wasn't learning anything. That seemed like a good time to stop.

I'm now left with a general appreciation, some memories and a collection of 'magic moments'. Things like:
The farewell from Cosi (especially from about 1:20 to 2:00)
Barbarina's cavatina from Marriage of Figaro
Wenn ich einmal soll scheiden from St. Matthew Passion

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

You and I couldn't be roommates. The background music would have been too much for me.

I hope you are well and your health is good. I miss some investment talk, but it seems that it doesn't work well on PS. Too Bad.
Annette

Too funny. I can't imagine living with someone who doesn't like music.

I'm good, thank you. Finally figured out what was causing me all the problems and taking steps to address it. I hope you are well too.

It's such a shame that we can't have a calm meaningful chat about investments. There've been some really good posts that I've enjoyed reading. I've missed your posts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results