shape
carat
color
clarity

How I proposed last week - long story!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
And so the story goes……or, rather,….went……..

I had been working with several vendors, online and local, to find the diamond I wanted for my (then) soon-to-be fiancée. After 4-5 weeks of researching, I found what I wanted. It was appraised by Chris Di Camillo @ David Atlas’ store in Philadelphia, overnighted back to my jeweler in Columbus the following day, and ready to go for that very evening.

The date was last Wednesday, 2/18/04, exactly one year after she asked me and I couldn’t even get out an intelligible response – “Uh…..Uh…Uh…….Uh…Uh!” (She never even saw this coming – HAHA) She wanted to go to a nice little café on Valentine’s Day, but that was the intended place, so I didn’t want to be there twice in 5 days!! I made the excuse that it would be too busy, due to the date and the fact that the place is quite small. This was the first place we went when we were dating long-distance and she came to see me for the first time. Since then, it just became our place to go and unwind and enjoy each other’s company as well as some nice live classical music on the piano.

I took the day off from work to get everything together. I gave my video camera to a girl who worked at the café & showed her how to use it. I had to get the phone number for the pianist from the café owner so that I could hire her to play for us, since she only plays on the weekends. My girlfriend knew nothing about what was going on. All she thought was that I was being a bit distant, spending too much time on the computer (doing research on diamonds, of course) & exiting out of everything as soon as she entered the room, leaving fairly often in the evening with my book-bag (full of printed diamond information and diamond viewing tools), and not letting her know where I was really going….just saying that I had to run some errands. I believe she thought I was cheating on her in one way or another!!

Anyhow, we arrived at the café at 7:45 p.m., I glanced at the pianist to give her a wink & let her know that I was the guy who spoke with her and arranged it, since we had never met. We were seated so that my girlfriend was facing away from the employee area and with her back to the pianist. This way I could maintain eye contact with all “participants”. As the pianist would go and get coffee, I’d get up to wander over to her to “make a request” and make sure we had everything in sync. I also went up to the counter where the employees were “because I couldn’t make up my mind as to what dessert I wanted” just so I could keep them informed of the plan. HAHA!

As the time drew near, Susan started playing the “cue to proposal” song (Moonlight Sonata) that I had chosen (only because I can only name a handful of classical pieces, and this one I knew & we both liked). I signaled the employees that the time was near, and I would begin as soon as the playing was over. The girl behind the counter started to cue-up the video camera and began to slowly meander to a good viewing point, though still out of eye-sight.

At approximately 8:15 p.m., I told my girlfriend that I wanted to discuss something with her; there was a question she had asked me that I never gave an answer to. She seemed puzzled. So I said, “Well, it was actually a question you asked me one year ago today.” She still seemed a bit confused (since that day was not really one she ever wanted to remember!!) So I said, “Stand up, and I’ll explain it to you.” She stood up & I told her “Let me refresh your memory”, as I went down on one knee and presented the ring, simply saying “Will you marry me?” since those were her simple words one year earlier. What a great reaction and unquestionable “YES!”

There was priceless smiling & crying! Then, of course, Susan broke into playing “The Wedding March” (Here Comes the Bride) on the piano as the total strangers gathered around us broke into applause.

A night and a moment I will never forget!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
2B, that is the sweetest and most unexpected proposal! Awwww! She must have really been thrilled! That's so wonderful and so sweet! Congrats to both of you, and let's see some pictures of the ring! YAY!
appl.gif

jackieblue

Rough_Rock
Awww...congratulations!!! What a sweet moment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results