shape
carat
color
clarity

How i decided on ACA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Taurus

Rough_Rock
Hi, unfortunately the forum does not allow excel attachment. Anyway interested buyers can always create their own spreadsheet, analyse and compare which suit them better....just my 2cents.

The below score was derived first by marking the score(max 100) for each category, follow by modulating it against the percentage weightage for now and 10yrs later...Its kinda very personal opinion but i found it useful in making a decision...

Weightage EightStar ACA Supercert
5C''s/Item NOW 10yrs later Score Now 10yrs Score Now 10yrs Score Now 10yrs
Cut 50.00% 20.00% 100 50 20 90 45 18
Color 5.00% 15.00% 90 4.5 13.5 100 5 15
Carat 5.00% 10.00% 90 4.5 9 100 5 10
Clarity 5.00% 15.00% 90 4.5 13.5 100 5 15
Overall Cost 20.00% 20.00% 80 16 16 100 20 20
Overall Impression / Service 5.00% 10.00% 100 5 10 90 4.5 9
Longterm Value 10.00% 10.00% 100 10 10 100 10 10
Total Score 100.00% 100.00% 650 94.5 92 680 94.5 97
twirl.gif
twirl.gif

Taurus

Rough_Rock
ok, i think this will look better.

score.gif

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Taurus:

Could you please explain to us how you came up with the criteria for your measurements, and perhaps explain what they mean to the purchaser?

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
"AYE CARUMBA"
read.gif

Congrats!

Taurus

Rough_Rock
Hope the below helps to explain a bit…hope you won’t find it ridiculous

Weightage defines how i view the importance of each item. They all added up to be 100% and this 100% is broken up into different percentages depending on how I weight the level of importance when compared to the rest.
‘Weight Now’ defines how I view the current environment and ‘Weight 10yrs Later’ defines a possible picture 10 yrs later. Of couse, nobody can predict the futures, I’m just making a assumption based on the score today. Disclaimer : Pls note that this is just my personal view, it could extremely wrong as I’m not a graduate gemlogist or expert in this field. I’m just a newbie giving my opinion which could be worthless.
Score define how I have marked each item. 100 is the maximum. Score ‘Now’ & “10yrs” are derived by multiplying the Score with the weightage(%) in the same category.
1. Cut – As technology and knowledges improve, I think 10 yrs later most of the cuttters would be able to achieve the “Perfect Cut”. The major institutes should be able to provide a grading sets for “perfect cut” diamonds. I think most cutters would be able to claim the diamonds has no light leakage, and provides the best fire, scintillation and brilliance. Cut may not be that important 10yrs later.
2. Color, Clarity & Carat – Consumer would shift the cost save in cutting and spend it on a better grade or bigger diamond.
3. Cost – Still very important for the budget cautious consumer..
4. Overall Impression/Service – Vendors would provide more personalise services to capture the consumers heart. Also, I don’t like to see vendors arguing over the forum…it’s just too sickening and bring down the image of online purchases.
5. Longterm value – still remains as one of my criteria in getting a “valuable” diamond from reputable vendor.

Taurus

Rough_Rock
Just wondering the experts in this forum have any comments on using the spreadsheet?
confused.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Taurus:
----------------
On 1/26/2003 7:27
6.gif
5 PM Taurus wrote:

Just wondering the experts in this forum have any comments on using the spreadsheet?
confused.gif

----------------
If you're using Internet Explorer 5 or higher, you can use rich text edit your post (this button
rich.text.button.gif
) and paste anything from Word document.

Should you have difficulties, email me your spreadsheet and I'll post it for you.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
The PERFECT diamond is a little bit an utopia for me. There will
always be some diamonds more brillant than others but less firey because
of table size.. Some cuts are just a compromise between brillancy and fire.
For some people, brillancy is more important while for others, fire is
more important.... It's all a matter of taste. That's why, a stone
has not to be Ideal to be very good looking...

Trichrome.

photogold

Rough_Rock
Taurus,

Let me guess. Your an engineer
wavey.gif

Taurus

Rough_Rock
Hi Leonid, thanks for your explanation, i have already figured out how to paste the spreadsheet. It would be great if the forum allows attachment and those who are interested can play around with it.

I'm actually asking for experts opinions on the logic and criteria of the spreadsheet. Can it be used as a tool to deteremine which diamond to go for? IT would be great if the experts can set some guidelines or refine the spreadsheet to benefit the consumers...Pls ignore my questions,if the spreadsheet doesn't make sense...

Best Regards
rolleyes.gif

Taurus

Rough_Rock
Hi Trichrome, Good points, its a matter of personal preferences.

Hi Photogold, i'm once an engineer but have moved to the financial sector.

Best regards

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Taurus:
----------------
It would be great if the forum allows attachment and those who are interested can play around with it.
----------------
I can allow this sort of attachments but then there will be a risk of viruses in Word or Excel files.

Btw: It seems that you also have a column for Superbcert but it doesn't show up.

Taurus

Rough_Rock
Here it is..any comments?

score1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Taurus. The table looks much better now.

Basically, all three contestants score very close
1.gif

Did you made your decision based on 2% difference (which might within error of your system) or you had some other feelings on subconscious level?

1.gif

Taurus

Rough_Rock
More on personal feeling for the "Overall impression".

I'm not in diamond industry not an expert to quantify or set any guildlines for the 5C's and longterm value, i just given my own estimation on the level of importance & allocate the % weightage to each items. Just want to know from the experts how would they give their own weighting from a current and longer term perspectives. Would be great if you can let me know how would you weigh them. Thanks

loopy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results