shape
carat
color
clarity

how high is too high for a setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i just had to share, i was at the grocery store today and i was eyeing the e-ring of the woman waiting in line in front of me, altho the diamond was big and beautiful, i just could not believe how high the setting was, here i am trying to get my setting as low as possible, and her diamond was clearly 1cm off of her finger, it was held in place with four prongs and it was just air in between the bottom of the diamond and the rest of the setting, i mean she must knock that thing all the time!

thanks for letting me share.
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a klutz so definitely no high settings for me. With high settings, you can't wear gloves and it'll just catch on everything, not to mention the risk of chipping!

niccia

Shiny_Rock
My setting is pretty high too and I love it. I am fairly careful with it, but I haven''t had any issues with knocking it or anything like that. I just like how the height makes the diamond really pop out of the setting. I recently tried on a Simon G setting that was also really high with a very narrow band and I liked that one too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the lower the better too. At least for an ering. I''m TERRIBLY clumsy and I''d catch it on everything all of the time, and probably have to take it in to get repaired a whole bunch. Now for rings that don''t get worn everyday...different story.

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
I too prefer a lower setting...just my personal style. I''m too active to have a high setting. I''d knock it around way too much.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I''m another one in the camp of the lower the better. I have a couple of pieces that sit a bit higher and have caught them numerous times. One I caught walking past a door- it caught on the jam and bent badly. I have no idea how that one really happened. It was years and years ago. The other ring caught during the six months I lasted as a bank teller in college. I caught it in the drive thru drawer- the one that goes out to the car in the first lane. OUCH. It was a heavier piece so it didn''t bend but it hurt like crazy.

After that, no high settings for me. Everything is as low as I can get it!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really prefer lower set diamonds. Not completely flat to the finger, but definitely not so high that its sitting way up there.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lower the better. Both of my rings are 6mm off the finger, but they look very different because of the bands that they are on. One of them looks really high and every time I wear I think about having it lowered. The other one I didn''t realise it was the same height until I took out the calipers.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer rings low. Sure, for practicality purposes, but I think it's more aesthetically pleasing, as well. I don't like that very high-set rings lose their proportion/composition if you're not looking at them from a perfect head-on bird's-eye-view.

I asked PSers at one point, and they said my ring was medium... not high, not low. I wish I'd asked for it to be set lower, but we got my ring before I was very PS-educated
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is kinda high but I think it works with the profile design.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 9:40:06 PM
Author:ficklefaye
i just had to share, i was at the grocery store today and i was eyeing the e-ring of the woman waiting in line in front of me, altho the diamond was big and beautiful, i just could not believe how high the setting was, here i am trying to get my setting as low as possible, and her diamond was clearly 1cm off of her finger, it was held in place with four prongs and it was just air in between the bottom of the diamond and the rest of the setting, i mean she must knock that thing all the time!

thanks for letting me share.
3.gif
LOL, ficklefaye. (Whenever I see one like that, I always wonder if her husband is one of those little, little men who drive a gargantuan SUV as well!)

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
for me, anything that''s not as low as possible is too high, especially for a ring i''d wear daily. i''m sure some people could manage a higher setting, but i would destroy other things... and my ring.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
When I was including all my "must haves" for my new ring setting one of them was a very low setting. I was afraid I would beat it on everything!

This profile shot isn''t very clear but you can see how low it is.

Profile4.jpg

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 11:38:39 PM
Author: niccia
My setting is pretty high too and I love it. I am fairly careful with it, but I haven''t had any issues with knocking it or anything like that. I just like how the height makes the diamond really pop out of the setting. I recently tried on a Simon G setting that was also really high with a very narrow band and I liked that one too.

niccia, i looked up your ring and i think it''s beautiful, i mean the setting builds up very nicely to the diamond, the one i saw was not that way at all

it was like a diamond screaming look at me! look at me! i''m so high! ok, i''m going a bit overboard
3.gif

fleur-de-lis, her husband was with her and sadly i think you might be right, ok, i''m being bad today
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results