shape
carat
color
clarity

How high are center stones generally set?

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! My CAD is in and I’m curious what typical heights for solitaire style settings are? My stone is 5.85mm tall and as currently designed will sit 8.3 from my finger to the diamond’s table. I prefer a high-ish set stone. Here is an inspiration photo with a smaller stone shown. I appreciate any input!!

ABE0DC4A-6C5F-43DE-A412-B6F20895883F.jpeg

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
the picture is beautiful!! it really comes down to personal preference and carat size. may i ask how big is your stone? for example, i prefer to set my 2.9ct as low as possible so that it's more convenient wearing it every day. for smaller stones, setting it a bit higher makes the stone pop! :bigsmile:

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
My stone is 3.2 cts. I asked DK to set it a bit higher than shown in this photo.. but I’m second guessing a bit because I do love the look of this setting as is. I may need to back pedal and tell him to keep it as he currently has it Currently the band itself (shank) will be 2.2mm high and the culet will sit only .25mm above that. I was thinking I might want it a bit higher...just not sure!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful. Usually I like mine with my girdle showing & set into my halo. Your stone is quite large so naturally will sit taller. Can he give you a straight on profile pic?

AB694487-F1DD-4DBD-9683-050EBC14BAC8.jpeg

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
It looks beautiful. Usually I like mine with my girdle showing & set into my halo. Your stone is quite large so naturally will sit taller. Can he give you a straight on profile pic?

AB694487-F1DD-4DBD-9683-050EBC14BAC8.jpeg

Here are the CADs. I’m having two rings made, an engagement and an anniversary band.

90F9E9D0-1079-439B-B78E-0A4AD17FDB22.png 7631B45F-61D2-436C-A1D5-53C2DDBA3583.png

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I see now. I thought the stone was already set. I’d want to see my culet. Plus you want a tiny bit of space in case the stone gets hit top down, less chance the culet will get damaged from smacking the bottom of the head. Poss like this?
D5D94F7F-2743-4E6D-A121-8D6A7F3FAB30.jpeg

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Oh I see now. I thought the stone was already set. I’d want to see my culet. Plus you want a tiny bit of space in case the stone gets hit top down, less chance the culet will get damaged from smacking the bottom of the head. Poss like this?
D5D94F7F-2743-4E6D-A121-8D6A7F3FAB30.jpeg

Ok that makes sense. I love the look of the inspiration photo but somehow the CAD looked more squatty to me. Could just be an illusion of the bulkier CAD.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If DK has already accounted for setting the stone with a slight space under the culet, a small donut might raise the head a bit & give your the extra height you’re after. He’s done a ton of them & can direct you of course
425CDB03-79C9-4CE5-BDB5-CF4231156BFA.jpeg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cads look bulky & so will the wax. Have him send you both wax molds once you nail down the final version. That helped me a lot.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
A few things...

Firstly - wow that design is amazing. I love it.

What metal is this in?

Secondly - will your anniversary band eat your engagement ring prongs?

Thirdly - and sorry, this is difficult to describe... But essentially I wanted an extremely similar design, if not identical, and it unfortunately proved impossible. Please note it may have been the bench I used (suspect this is a strong possibility) and I have a huge amount of faith in DK based on what I see here! However, essentially, especially with the diamond raised so you could see the culet from the side, the prongs were unsupported at the base. Each version of my ring had warped prongs. The wax was perfect but it didn't translate. My ring is in platinum and again, I definitely think there were bench issues, but it's something to bear in mind or maybe just double check? The way I resolved it was to put a lot more metal in the base of the prongs (essentially like adding a doughnut but without the doughnut shape).

Not trying to frighten you, but just wanted to raise it. I trust that if David has provided a CAD he presumably thinks it's structurally possible, I was just burnt trying to achieve this particular look, which was unpleasant and wouldn't want you to suffer through the same thing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Needs a doughnut because as it is, the wedding band is going to rub those prongs and that is not a good idea. Just a little doughnut at the base to raise it up maybe another mm or 1.5mm will solve that problem.

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
A few things...

Firstly - wow that design is amazing. I love it.

What metal is this in?

Secondly - will your anniversary band eat your engagement ring prongs?

Thirdly - and sorry, this is difficult to describe... But essentially I wanted an extremely similar design, if not identical, and it unfortunately proved impossible. Please note it may have been the bench I used (suspect this is a strong possibility) and I have a huge amount of faith in DK based on what I see here! However, essentially, especially with the diamond raised so you could see the culet from the side, the prongs were unsupported at the base. Each version of my ring had warped prongs. The wax was perfect but it didn't translate. My ring is in platinum and again, I definitely think there were bench issues, but it's something to bear in mind or maybe just double check? The way I resolved it was to put a lot more metal in the base of the prongs (essentially like adding a doughnut but without the doughnut shape).

Not trying to frighten you, but just wanted to raise it. I trust that if David has provided a CAD he presumably thinks it's structurally possible, I was just burnt trying to achieve this particular look, which was unpleasant and wouldn't want you to suffer through the same thing.

Needs a doughnut because as it is, the wedding band is going to rub those prongs and that is not a good idea. Just a little doughnut at the base to raise it up maybe another mm or 1.5mm will solve that problem.

The rings will be 18k yellow gold with the e-ring head/prongs in platinum. DK has my wedding back with him now; it’s a platinum eternity band. He is designing the rings so that the eternity will go in the middle and the height will compliment this to prevent damage to any of the three rings. I’ve wrote him and inquired about the setting height and structural integrity.

Thank you for your input!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stone is 3.2 cts. I asked DK to set it a bit higher than shown in this photo.. but I’m second guessing a bit because I do love the look of this setting as is. I may need to back pedal and tell him to keep it as he currently has it Currently the band itself (shank) will be 2.2mm high and the culet will sit only .25mm above that. I was thinking I might want it a bit higher...just not sure!
Be careful with setting the stone too high b/c the higher you set the stone the better chance of you hitting your ring on the car door jam when you get in and out of your car. But with a higher setting the stone do look bigger... ;))

Here's wife's 3.34ct on a medium height setting? I wouldn't mind if it was a bit higher.

IMG_3993.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Height of rings is very personal, and I prefer mine set as low as possible.

The tallest rings I have are set with pearls and I only wear them for formal special occasions where they are not likely to bump into anything.

Here is a pic of my mum's 1.94ct MRB in its temporary setting when it was given to me against my own 1.19ct EC. The MRB has now been reset into a bangle with a low bezel setting.

20200813_102632.jpg

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Be careful with setting the stone too high b/c the higher you set the stone the better chance of you hitting your ring on the car door jam when you get in and out of your car. But with a higher setting the stone do look bigger... ;))

Here's wife's 3.34ct on a medium height setting? I wouldn't mind if it was a bit higher.

IMG_3993.jpg

Thanks for the picture! I’d say my ring will be set about the same height as this. The culet will basically rest on the band. DK just got back to me and said he wouldn’t want to go higher with my particular style for durability reasons. I’ve heard cathedrals can often go a bit higher because they have some extra support from the shoulders. Your wife’s ring is beautiful!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results