shape
carat
color
clarity

How has your style changed?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
How has your ERing style changed from when you were first looking to what you currently own?

When I was first looking I really only looked at RB solitaires with channel set, bead set, or prong set sidestones. I currently own a 1.55

RB on a prong set band, BUT as the past year has gone on and I have joined PS, I have found myself more and more drawn to three stone rings (especially Yssie's) and warmer colored antique cushions.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, let's see....I never used to wear any diamond [gasp, horror! 8) :wink2: ] although my mom gave me some in my teens/ early twenties. DH gave me a 1ct RB as my first ering. Then, I upgraded to a 3ct RB for our 10th wedding anniversary. Now, i wear my halo'ed 3.50ct pear shaped ring almost every day. I also like wearing a 3-stone ring as a RHR. Am also lusting after an EC, an asscher and an oval, as well as older cuts and fancy coloured diamonds!!

He he, I'm hopeless! :bigsmile:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I was hopelessly in love with the Tiffany six prong setting. the e-ring I finally picked is a six prong but have diamond pave on the sides... but after seeing so many beautiful pic. from here. I think my next project will be a halo ring :bigsmile:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked my first ering for the price.. seriously. It was 250. The next one five years later I loved. But it definitely has a 1985 look to it.
I think my last upgrade is a more classic style, which is why I picked it. I always loved big diamonds though and knew I wanted one
some day. When I was a little girl, my aunt, whom I ADORED wore a 2 ct. with plain platinum bands. I loved how they looked
on her very wrinkly hands and knew I wanted one even then.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
When we first started looking at engagement rings, I thought I wanted an asscher. I was also sort of considering emerald cuts. I thought I wanted a solitaire with pave at first, too. I didn't think I wanted a RB because they're so common. I kept trying on step cuts but the square/rectangular shape did nothing for my small hands and short fingers. Plus, I discovered that I really did want the sparkle that RB give. I began to look at settings, and in my search here, I found Kaleigh's 3 stone (RB with pear sides). I also found a gorgeous ring on Knox's website that had the same look but it had a trellis setting. From that moment, I knew I wanted a 3 stone in a trellis setting. So I started out wanting one thing and ended up with something completely different. I still love step cuts though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first e-ring long ago was a 1 ct. rb in a yellow gold tiffany setting and the wedding band was plain with bead-set diamonds on top. I loved it for years, but eventually I wanted to change to white metals. So for an anniversary, my husband told me to just pick out a new set as opposed to resetting the old ones. So I ended up with a 1.6 ct. H&A rb and a diamond Legacy wedding band. So my style really didn't change at all...I just upgraded a little in size and quality and changed to platinum!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My tastes have changed so much since I first thought about my engagement ring.

First, I wanted an asscher in a Tacori-esque setting.

Then, I wanted a yellow sapphire cushion in a halo. This was what I wanted when DH and I first started talking about marriage, so that's what he shopped for.

DH couldn't find any high quality natural yellow sapphires cut as cushions, and told me so after months of searching.
We searched together, and I didn't love what I saw.

THEN, I wanted a modern cushion, which turned into my *actual* original engagement ring, which was a 2 ct modern cushion set in a platinum RB eternity band.

THEN, the antique cushion craze hit PS and about two years ago I told my jeweler to let me know if he comes across any antique cushions. I wasn't sure whether I'd love them, as I hadn't seen them in person, but I was curious.

And not too long ago I got a call from my jeweler that he had a beautiful antique cushion, and it's sitting on my finger as I type! I had it set into a hand-forged 18K rose gold ring that I designed myself. My current ring is so different from my original ring, which I also loved, so my tastes have really changed!

Here's a side-by-side comparison. 2 ct G SI1 modern cushion on the left, 2.3 ct O/P SI1 antique cushion on the right:
oldsetnewset.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1304891239|2915607 said:
My tastes have changed so much since I first thought about my engagement ring.

First, I wanted an asscher in a Tacori-esque setting.

Then, I wanted a yellow sapphire cushion in a halo. This was what I wanted when DH and I first started talking about marriage, so that's what he shopped for.

DH couldn't find any high quality natural yellow sapphires cut as cushions, and told me so after months of searching.
We searched together, and I didn't love what I saw.

THEN, I wanted a modern cushion, which turned into my *actual* original engagement ring, which was a 2 ct modern cushion set in a platinum RB eternity band.

THEN, the antique cushion craze hit PS and about two years ago I told my jeweler to let me know if he comes across any antique cushions. I wasn't sure whether I'd love them, as I hadn't seen them in person, but I was curious.

And not too long ago I got a call from my jeweler that he had a beautiful antique cushion, and it's sitting on my finger as I type! I had it set into a hand-forged 18K rose gold ring that I designed myself. My current ring is so different from my original ring, which I also loved, so my tastes have really changed!

Here's a side-by-side comparison. 2 ct G SI1 modern cushion on the left, 2.3 ct O/P SI1 antique cushion on the right:
oldsetnewset.jpg

I feel like my tastes are evolving in the same way that yours had.. My set is VERY similar to your original, except substitute a 1.55RB in the setting. THe more and more I see antique, warmer cushions on PS, the more and more I am loving them. I am hoping that maybe down the road we will be able to afford myself a nice anniversary diamond, as I am too attached to my stone to trade in and upgrade (at least for now! :naughty: )

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My taste actually hasn't changed too much since I first starting posting on PS. I still absolutely love my e-ring and wedding band. I thought about upgrading last year when diamond prices were low but I couldn't bring myself to actually do it.

I do love old cuts, but I'm apparently superstitious when it comes to diamonds! I felt too weird to get an old cut diamond for my e-ring stone (what if it was a divorce diamond?! :cheeky: ), although I did look at them when I was on the e-ring hunt.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1304898753|2915690 said:
My taste actually hasn't changed too much since I first starting posting on PS. I still absolutely love my e-ring and wedding band. I thought about upgrading last year when diamond prices were low but I couldn't bring myself to actually do it.

I do love old cuts, but I'm apparently superstitious when it comes to diamonds! I felt too weird to get an old cut diamond for my e-ring stone (what if it was a divorce diamond?! :cheeky: ), although I did look at them when I was on the e-ring hunt.

I absolutely love your ring, Thing! I saw it when creating the "radiant stone thread"! It's a real stunner :bigsmile:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say PS gave me DSS but it only reaffirmed my belief I wanted the best cut diamond.

I found PS after I upgraded my ering 5 years ago. My original had a center .15 ct diamond with .06 ctw side stones. I wore a 1/3 carat anniversary band with it. My upgrade 5 years ago was an AGS0 1/2 ct which I put in a semi bezel set PC wedding set with .33 ctw. I wanted the diamond to be the center of attention. I soon found I missed my anniversary band and about a year later got a 1/2 ctw anniversary band and a 3 stone mount. Last November I decided to look at upgrading to a 3/4 carat diamond. I was going to keep the same wedding set but I honestly couldn't see much difference once we put the 3/4 diamond in my old setting. Once again I decided I wanted to have the diamond stand out so I got a solitaire ring with a different 1/2 ctw anniversary band. This one had more diamonds than my old anniversary band so the band is thinner. I really liked my new set but found the 3/4 carat diamond not quite as nice as my 1/2 carat. The 3/4 carat was GIA EX and a very pretty diamond but I still wanted to get another AGS0. DH said I was nit picking but somehow something was not to my liking with that diamond and I started to save money for another upgrade. I wanted to look at diamonds in the .91 carat range but they only had GIA EX in that range with awful inclusions; but they did have a 1 carat AGS0. It was larger than I wanted, more expensive than I could afford but gave me a great deal on it and I traded in a pair of earrings and I came home with the 1 carat diamond. I put it in the same ering and wear it with the same anniversary band. I love my new diamond but sometimes I think it's a little too big. It's amazing how much larger my diamond looks going from 6mm to 6.5mm.

PS has led me to try different styles in RHR. My wish list continues to grow and expand the longer I am on this forum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results