shape
carat
color
clarity

How has the economy changed how much jewelry you wear out?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a LOT of gorgeous jewelry that I used to wear all the time, but lately I just feel ostentatious if I wear it. Most days now I wear just my earrings and my watch. I do live in an affluent area but it just doesn't feel right.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Re: How has the economy changed how much jewelry you wear ou

Not for me, but I don't have much so it's not like I'm selectively leaving some at home due to a desire to not be showy.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby|1313643352|2993140 said:
I have a LOT of gorgeous jewelry that I used to wear all the time, but lately I just feel ostentatious if I wear it. Most days now I wear just my earrings and my watch.I do live in an affluent area but it just doesn't feel right
]quote]

why??.. :confused:
anyhow,we live in a getto area it's more safe for us to wear our jewelry than to leave em at home.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Yes because of the London riots I wear less on public transport!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I wear the same as ever. It sure has stopped me from setting the ever-increasing pile of stones on my desk, though. I know what I want to do with them but at the price of gold & diamonds now, it's gonna wait...and wait...and wait. I CAN'T STAND IT!! I want to wear them, too!!! Not only is the outlay too much, but it gripes me to pay 2500 for a setting I know will be worth 1000 when things calm down. None of it is done w/an expectation of profit, I won't ever sell them, but going w/that ratio isn't in my DNA.

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock

JewelFreak|1313667091|2993242 said:
I wear the same as ever. It sure has stopped me from setting the ever-increasing pile of stones on my desk, though. I know what I want to do with them but at the price of gold & diamonds now, it's gonna wait...and wait...and wait. I CAN'T STAND IT!! I want to wear them, too!!! Not only is the outlay too much, but it gripes me to pay 2500 for a setting I know will be worth 1000 when things calm down. None of it is done w/an expectation of profit, I won't ever sell them, but going w/that ratio isn't in my DNA.

--- Laurie

Exactly this. Plus 1!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Not at all. I just started acquiring nice jewelry this past year after the down turn of the economy and all I owns my wedding set and a few smaller pieces that are not showy or reallyexpensive.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It hasn't changed my habits at all.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, because all the pieces I've purchased are in a size I feel comfortable wearing, which is on the smaller size. I paid for them, I'm going to enjoy wearing them!
What did change is after 2007, other than gemstones (mostly beads) I haven't really been buying much in the way of jewelry. Used the money instead for various expenses that came up, plus trying to help my family a little. When I might have bought my mom a fun piece of jewelry, I send her the money instead.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

I have changed what I wear. As a whole, I live in a very safe state/city but not many people wear diamonds over 1/4 to 1/2 carat. When I wore around my 1.5 carat some punks would make comments about stealing my jewelry, or at work more than once (I go to branches but have a regular office in admin) they would say "don't forget to rob the jewelry when we rob the bank - haahaha" when they saw my ring. Now I wear sims around so that if I am robbed, there is no emotional attachment, I'm not losing anything and I wouldn't think twice about pulling them off and handing them over. :nono:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

In a way it has. I've become a little fearful of losing something that's not insured because those things would be irreplacable at this point.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

I'm more afraid to leave my things unattended than to wear them, so I haven't changed what I wear.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

It really hasnt since I only really own a few things, my wedding set and diamond studs are really all I wear, and I mostly don't even wear the studs much. Though for the last year or so I have gotten a few looks/comments from people I either used to work with or that are "friends" of mine. Folks that have been affected by job loss or whatever and comment that it's not fair I flaunt my "huge boulder" in their faces showing off that I have a job and am so "loaded" and all. I have one particular "friend" who I don't really know why she bothers to remain in my life. I am not active in pursuing that friendship. But she makes more than me, has had a job all through the recession and has gotten many large raises and promotions through that time--or has lied about it all, and has a rock more than double the size of mine, unless it's fake but I've louped it and it doesn't look fake to me. I am always "flaunting my wealth in her face". Or some such nonsense and she never wants to do anything unless someone else pays her way. I just think she's a manipulative person who wants me to feel bad about what I do have.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

ame|1313684470|2993438 said:
I just think she's a manipulative person who wants me to feel bad about what I do have.

Life is too short to have these people around! Urgh!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have been trying to work her out of my life for several years. She has some seriously big balls to say some of the stuff she says to me.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

No, not really - living in NY, my piddling carat-and-a-half isn't really going to shock, awe, or offend anybody.* That's also partially due, though, to the fact that the general population doesn't care about me, and my actual close friends don't know from jewelry. On things where expenditure is more obvious, I am trying to be discreet.

*I am not insulting anybody's carat-and-a-half: it is a glorious size. It's just well within the norm here.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock

No, I wear pretty much what I wore before. If there is any difference, I attribute it to my current status as a student.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1313646897|2993174 said:
AprilBaby|1313643352|2993140 said:
I have a LOT of gorgeous jewelry that I used to wear all the time, but lately I just feel ostentatious if I wear it. Most days now I wear just my earrings and my watch.I do live in an affluent area but it just doesn't feel right
]quote]

why??.. :confused:
anyhow,we live in a getto area it's more safe for us to wear our jewelry than to leave em at home.

I guess with so many people out of work I just feel....like I should be very plain. It's just me and no reflection on what anyone else should do but my yg toy box has been sitting unused. Or maybe I am getting to an age where I don't feel I need anything anymore or need to impress anyone anymore. Sigh.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

I wear what I want, when I want. I always mix up my jewelry anyway. However, what HAS affected me is how often I GO out!

But my diamond earrings and pendant never come off.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock

i don't wear my good jewelry much lately since im not employed right now.Some people have a tendency to judge harshly and let me know that they would have sold their jewelry if they were un-employed.Ive worn better pieces only to a few wedding receptions since the beginning of the year.I do however wear my jewelry to job interviews because it says that im successful, not desperate for this job and not going to take the low offer!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

Hmmm...I usually just wear one of my watches and my E-ring. I have never changed what jewelry I wear based on how the economy is. Judging from what I have observed on other people while out, they have not either. Besides that, I don't wear my jewelry to any interviews.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nope.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results