shape
carat
color
clarity

How far ahead of the curve do you think we are?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen trends come through Pricescope, and then about 6-9 months (maybe even a year) later the commercial industry seems to catch up. Halos, asschers, micropave, and others. Right now, the "newest" trend here seems to be a resurgence of old cuts and warmer stones.

How long do you think it will be before we see this trend (or another) emerge in the non-Pricescope population?

Do you think this phase will pass too?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think PS is about a year ahead of most major trends, but that is based entirely on anecdotal evidence. It would be interesting to study this though, for sure.

I also wonder if the same effect takes place on boards dealing with other subjects where trends and tastes change relatively rapidly (i.e. tech gadgets, cars, etc...).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 4:38:03 PM
Author:Upgradable
I''ve seen trends come through Pricescope, and then about 6-9 months (maybe even a year) later the commercial industry seems to catch up. Halos, asschers, micropave, and others. Right now, the ''newest'' trend here seems to be a resurgence of old cuts and warmer stones.

How long do you think it will be before we see this trend (or another) emerge in the non-Pricescope population?

Do you think this phase will pass too?
I agree, I would say we seem to be about 9 months ahead. Certainly called the Halo craze, micropave, etc... I also agree there is a huge following for the older cuts, OMC"s OEC''s... I have been looking to add some, but they are getting harder and harder to find. Many are still in safety deposit boxes, locked away. I adore their personalities, their chuncky facets... I think there will always be a market for them as they are so classic. But who knows what the next trend will be. I do see a warming up to yellow gold.

Fun thread Upgradable.
1.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I love that our vendors have been responsive to the changes here. For example, GOG is starting to cut antique cushions, EricaGrace starting a niche business, etc. Sometimes vendors try to tell the consumer what they want or what is the best. Here, we do it the other way around!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 5:13:45 PM
Author: Upgradable
I love that our vendors have been responsive to the changes here. For example, GOG is starting to cut antique cushions, EricaGrace starting a niche business, etc. Sometimes vendors try to tell the consumer what they want or what is the best. Here, we do it the other way around!
I didn't know that GOG was going to be cutting Antigue cushions, that's very interesting. Thanks.
1.gif

Ericagrace is one of my favorite websites. I drool over those stones.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not so sure PS is ahead of any curve, honestly. We just have a lot of people who are interested in jewelry, and therefore have very specific tastes. If princesses came back ''in'' a few months from now people might say PS called it, as we''ve had a flood of e-rings with princesses over the past month or two (from my observational standpoint, anyhow).

I think that the old cuts are a logical progression from the antique setting craze, which has been gaining momentum over the past few years. I''d venture to guess that that''s thanks to a few choice designers and a few high-profile celebrity pieces. I''ll admit that my own love of antique-style rings began with Kate Hudson''s and Reese Witherspoon''s sets. Whether that was because of a celebrity influence (and I like them more because I like those women), or because their high-profile personas just happened to bring those styles to my attention (and I''d have loved ''em just as much if I''d seen them in a jewelry store display case)... who knows.

But I digress. Anyway, I guess what I''m saying is that PS is SATURATED with all kinds of styles of rings/jewelry, and that what we see here kind of moves in waves. You might say that PS is ahead of the curve, but you could also say that there''s simply a big enough sample of pieces on here that any one of those ''waves'' could happen to be the ''next big thing'' in a few months.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Good question. But in my past year here on PS, I have noticed (on PS and out of PS) exactly what you are mentioning.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
If the economy continues to struggle, I imagine warmer stones will occupy an even greater part of the landscape. The same goes for, err, pre-owned pieces and styles. Beyond their inherent loveliness, they tend to be more budget-friendly than D-colored AGS000 round brilliants.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 8:07:50 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
If the economy continues to struggle, I imagine warmer stones will occupy an even greater part of the landscape. The same goes for, err, pre-owned pieces and styles. Beyond their inherent loveliness, they tend to be more budget-friendly than D-colored AGS000 round brilliants.
I''ve thought about that same thing... In my case, it''s the fact that I can''t spend money because I just bought a house. I find it so tempting to buy a nice OEC in a super-low color. I''m really drawn to them, but I''m thinking my sub-concious is telling me to obsess over that instead of those delicious asschers and emerald cuts because I''ll never be able to afford one of those!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
And all this time I thought Tiffany, HW, Cartier, VCA, and De Beers were the trend setters. I''m glad they''re taking their design inspiration from us!

All kidding aside, there are many beautiful pieces on this board. Jewelry dealers are smart to pay attention to what the consumer wants.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hasn''t the HW halo been around for a while?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Martha Stewart and In Style are already have them in their issues in Jan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results