shape
carat
color
clarity

How does working with USA Certed Diamonds work?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’ve reached out a few times and usually don’t get a response/ call back so I don’t want to bother him during the busy season. The listed prices are so low he’s probably swimming in inquiries. I have gotten some response in the past but I’ve never completed a transaction (can’t remember if it was me changing my mind or what) so I don’t know what to expect. My husband also contacted once but the response he got was clearly for someone else so we dropped it. However, in that response there was a comment about there being extra fees if the diamond is in India or something and I’m a little confused at how this works/ how much extra it will cost.

I have my 5 stone project with DK and wondering if I can help the project cost by using USA Certed since they come back as having the best prices.

But if these extra fees add up to just a slight savings I won’t pursue it.

Can someone please provide some insight?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the diamond isn't located in the US, there are additional import charges (around 4%) and shipping fees, and also no returns unless the diamond is misrepresented. Martin is incredibly nice, but after we couldn't find a good diamond the first time, I had trouble ever getting him to help me find a diamond again. I did reach him on the phone twice after that, and he said he would search other inventory and email me with more options, but I never heard from him after either call. I also don't think you can get light return images from his suppliers, at least not for any diamonds I was interested in.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
If the diamond isn't located in the US, there are additional import charges (around 4%) and shipping fees, and also no returns unless the diamond is misrepresented. Martin is incredibly nice, but after we couldn't find a good diamond the first time, I had trouble ever getting him to help me find a diamond again. I did reach him on the phone twice after that, and he said he would search other inventory and email me with more options, but I never heard from him after either call. I also don't think you can get light return images from his suppliers, at least not for any diamonds I was interested in.

Do you know what shipping fees would be? 4% isn’t bad but I’m sure shipping is a bit more... I don’t need ideal cut diamonds for this, regular old well cut is fine. They can’t outshine my center stone.

Also - what’s the time frame? Not that I’m in a rush, but it’s good to know.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd use a US vendor. Much easier to do a return if you didn't want the stone. I have no idea about import tax from Canada, but I got a piece of jewelry from Europe this summer, and it was more than 4%.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know what shipping fees would be? 4% isn’t bad but I’m sure shipping is a bit more... I don’t need ideal cut diamonds for this, regular old well cut is fine. They can’t outshine my center stone.

Also - what’s the time frame? Not that I’m in a rush, but it’s good to know.

Shipping was $250 for an over 3 carat. I don't remember the exact timeframe, but I think it was 1-2 weeks.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I'd use a US vendor. Much easier to do a return if you didn't want the stone. I have no idea about import tax from Canada, but I got a piece of jewelry from Europe this summer, and it was more than 4%.

Oh ok with the India comment I had assumed that’s where it was coming from. So as a US customer I’d pay shipping & import fees from India and then again from Canada? I think I will buy from a US vendor - this seems like a lot of extra work for a little savings.

Shipping was $250 for an over 3 carat. I don't remember the exact timeframe, but I think it was 1-2 weeks.

Good to know. Thank you!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh ok with the India comment I had assumed that’s where it was coming from. So as a US customer I’d pay shipping & import fees from India and then again from Canada? I think I will buy from a US vendor - this seems like a lot of extra work for a little savings.

You would not need to pay shipping and import fees from Canada, only fees from the origin country. He would have it shipped directly to the US from overseas.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
You would not need to pay shipping and import fees from Canada, only fees from the origin country. He would have it shipped directly to the US from overseas.

Got it. I could look up the exact % myself on Customs’ website. I’ll do that later and weigh it out further.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Got it. I could look up the exact % myself on Customs’ website. I’ll do that later and weigh it out further.

Martin is located in Canada but most of his contacts and suppliers are from the US so if he finds you a stone he is shipping it from one state to the other and I believe he doesn’t charge taxes since he is from Canada and no import taxes unless it’s from another country which makes it more complicated.

igs

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone on Pricescope. Firstly and most importantly I hope that you are all staying safe when out in public and please remember to wear a mask and sanitize. Your health comes first .......... and diamonds come second!!!!! Phone works best at 800 252 1476 or text 416451 3523. Am in the process of hiring additional help to handle the high volume of inquiries. It may take a few tries for you to get on my 'radar screen' but once you're on it....you are truly on it. Most of the diamondsare sourced in the US. If a diamond is located overseas the price will be lower however 4% on import fees is added on.
I want to wish everyone a safe and joyous holiday season. This post is definitely not for any self promotion whatsoever but is to clear concerns from Pricescope members about being able to reach me and also about diamonds from overseas. Thanks a lot. Best regards Martin Sheffield

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results