shape
carat
color
clarity

How does my jeweler get my ring so clean?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I think I'll try that in the ultrasonice. Thanks Skippy!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 7:54:19 AM
Author: reader
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/final-word-on-wg-and-ammonia.67468/

Is what I have found so far.

My question is this: If your steamer leaves a mineral deposit on your stones, what is the best way to remove that? Also, how to clean the mineral deposits from the steamer?
I''d think distilled water would help with that?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 7:34:41 AM
Author: Ellen

I honestly only recall hearing about WG. And this was from experts here on the board.

I just went and searched the question: Is it safe to clean white gold jewelry with ammonia? I couldn''t find a link that says it''s bad (they basically all recommended it), so I honestly don''t know why we''ve heard that here and nowhere else. I could definitely see some (links) saying it''s ok because there are many jewelers that don''t know a lot, but all of them (that I clicked)? Who knows!

DF, is your wifes jewlery Rhodium plated? If so, do you not ever get it replated?
i think so
33.gif
. nope, no replate yet,still looks o.k. after 4 yrs.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 10:54:43 AM
Author: Demon
Date: 4/20/2009 7:54:19 AM

Author: reader

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/final-word-on-wg-and-ammonia.67468/

Is what I have found so far.

My question is this: If your steamer leaves a mineral deposit on your stones, what is the best way to remove that? Also, how to clean the mineral deposits from the steamer?

I'd think distilled water would help with that?

Maybe add some vinegar?

EDT: This is for the steamer.

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
Yes, the instructions for my cleaner and jet said to use distilled water to avoid mineral deposits and water spots.

My cleaning regimen is liquid jewelry cleaner and soft toothbrush, followed by ionic cleaner, followed by hot steam jet.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a decent ultrasonic (from amazon $40) and the jewel jet steamer. I use the steamer every couple of weeks and it does the best job by far. I use distilled water in it. For the u/s I use Mr. Clean and dawn plus hot water. Works really well on bezel set rings.

As for the ammonia and white gold, I have ruined the prongs on 2 rings using ammonia. The rings were yellow gold with white gold prongs, and the prongs ended up (over time) getting "etched", looking unpolished. I assume that is why there is a caution.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results