shape
carat
color
clarity

How Does DH Get Along With Your Parents?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We talk a lot abour how we get along with our in-laws, but how does your DH get along with your family? Does your family like him? Does he like them?

I have to say that my parents are over the moon about DH. My mom wasn''t a huge fan of the guy I dated before him (the guy was nice, but not marriage material), but she adores DH.

DH likes them well enough - our moms are somewhat similar, so he''s good with my mom. My dad can be extremely quiet and not contribute anything, so sometimes DH thinks he''s a bit weird with his not talking
40.gif
But I would have to agree with his assessment sometimes. My dad''s a nice guy though and tried to talk a lot more when we were home last, so I think DH warmed up to him a bit.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
DH loves my parents, and they love him too. I feel really lucky that it''s this way, and that my inlaws are fantastic as well!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
You are very lucky, Sunnyd! I read all of the horrible in law stories and I''m so thankful that our families have blended so well and that everyone is genuinely happy that we''re married.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Indeed! Our families used to be quite close, having dinners all the time, etc because our moms worked together and our dads golfed every weekend, but my mom got a new position and since FIL''s heart attack last summer no golfing. I miss it!

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 12:43:56 PM
Author: sunnyd
DH loves my parents, and they love him too. I feel really lucky that it''s this way, and that my inlaws are fantastic as well!

Same here. We are very lucky as well.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
DH and my Mom get along great, my stepdad neither of us is too crazy about (long story), but of course we are respectful regardless. We tend to get together with her more when my stepdad is out of town.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
They get along pretty well aside from the 5 second rule incident at a chinese restaurant 4 days before the wedding lol, don''t make me go into detail haha

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 2:27:52 PM
Author: rhbgirl24

I''m in the same boat. I''ve gotten along famously with DH''s parents since day 1. I think his mother likes having another female around since for so long it was just her, FIL, and BIL + DH. Took DH a little while to relax more in front of my parents but he managed to bond really well with my father on a weekend we all went to NYC together. I left them alone for a few hours and after the weeekdn my dad told me that DH was a keeper. I feel lucky that we all get along so well because I don''t think its terribly typical.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
My parents were a little standoffish at first but now everyone gets along pretty well. two years ago my parents went on a cruise to Alaska and my dad bought my then BF (now DH) a really awesome present. My parents got me pepto-bismol pink socks with scenes from Alaska on them
20.gif
I think they might like him better than me
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents love my husband, and we''re lucky that everyone gets along really well.
Our families celebrate holidays together, so that''s really nice, too.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
My mom loves DH and I think she truly feels like he is a son to her now. My dad likes him too and my stepmom seems to really like him also. My stepdad doesn''t like anyone, and we feel the same way towards him (so his opinion doesn''t mean anything to me anyway).

I feel truly lucky that my parents get along so well with my husband. We all really enjoy spending time together and my whole family has been really welcoming to DH and they have all made him feel at home and part of the family.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband gets along well with my parents. They don''t always understand each other (they''re very different), but they do get along.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''m starting to think that our DHs have it easy! It seems that there are so many MILs who don''t get alone with the lovely ladies who have married their sons, which is such a shame. At least our DHs don''t seem to be going through the same thing!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
My parents ADORE my DH. All my brothers and sisters pretty much feel the same way about him, they just LOVE him. In fact, there HAS been discussion in my family that they will keep DH in the event of any divorce and I do hope that they are kidding...I would hate to be orphaned as well as divorced!

I think in general, the mother in the family sets the tone for the rest of the clans in respect to like and dislike. IMHO, this is because men traditionally don''t develop the "feeling" relationships the way that women do. At least in my case, if my mom takes an immediate disliking to someone, we tend to avoid spending time with those people and thus we don''t really "like" them as much. My dad and brothers just go along to avoid trouble, KWIM?

That is why we struggle with our IL''s, IMO. If MIL feels threatened or "pushed aside", usually the rest of the inlaws will have a tendency to distance themselves until everyone knows how things will work out. I know in our case, MIL eventually came around and now I am quite close with almost everyone in DHs family. The only exception is BIL, who said some really ugly things when MIL made some complaints. I think he really doesn''t know how to come back from that, because honestly, even DH won''t let bygones be bygones...he wants BIL to actually apologize for the things that were said or at least discuss them and I think he is way more hurt than I am by his brother missing our wedding in spite of us offering to pay for him and his wife and daughter to attend.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 6:44:17 PM
Author: Haven
My parents love my husband, and we''re lucky that everyone gets along really well.
Our families celebrate holidays together, so that''s really nice, too.
I am in this lucky lady boat too.

My brother has NEVER liked any of my bf''s and my brother actually got my DH a Christmas card the first time I brought him for Christmas. I just about started to tear up...The rest of my family loves him too. We are a pretty open bunch, so once he saw the dynamic, he fit right in.

I actually love his family too and I think that his mom enjoys having me as a DIL, especially since she didn''t really like some of DH''s previous gf''s. DH''s dad and step-dad really like me too, so that helps me out big time.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2010 2:27:52 PM
Author: rhbgirl24

DH loves my parents, and they love him too. I feel really lucky that it's this way, and that my inlaws are fantastic as well!
I feel very lucky that we have this too.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone gets along very well. Myself with my in-laws, hubs with my parents and siblings, my parents with his. We''re very lucky
1.gif
especially seeing how not-well my parents get along with my sister in-law (brother''s wife) and her parents... that puts things in perspective for us. The relationships on my side couldn''t be much better. Without being creepy, anyway.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone gets along well and likes each other.
1.gif
No drama.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH LOVES my parents!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure that my parents love my husband MORE than they love ME.
emdgust.gif
They are always telling me how lucky I was to get him, and I''m like, "Hello, I''m a catch too!"

Seriously, though, they all get along really well. My mother is a very difficult person to get along with (she has a personality disorder) but even so, DH says that he can handle her since he knows what to expect, and he sincerely believes that she means well, even though she has no idea about how to act or treat people.

It''s funny, because people always complain about their in-laws, but I''m one of the few people who LOVES my in-laws, but I have trouble hanging out with my own family. Come to think of it, maybe I am lucky to have my DH - he is pretty tolerant of my crazy family
emsmilep.gif

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and my Mother get along very well, for awhile his car was broken and they even commuted to work together, I would find out my family news from my Mother through my husband, lol.

Now for my Step-father, well, no one gets along with him, ha.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 5:32:40 PM
Author: vespergirl
emdgust.gif
They are always telling me how lucky I was to get him, and I''m like, ''Hello, I''m a catch too!''

Seriously, though, they all get along really well. My mother is a very difficult person to get along with (she has a personality disorder) but even so, DH says that he can handle her since he knows what to expect, and he sincerely believes that she means well, even though she has no idea about how to act or treat people.

It''s funny, because people always complain about their in-laws, but I''m one of the few people who LOVES my in-laws, but I have trouble hanging out with my own family. Come to think of it, maybe I am lucky to have my DH - he is pretty tolerant of my crazy family
emsmilep.gif

Ha, ditto the bolded part! My parents LOVE my husband and he and my dad are BFF, I swear! Sometimes my husband goes to my parents'' house (they live about an hour away) without me just to hang out with my dad. After my husband and I had been dating for about a year, my dad actually told my mom that if my husband and I ever broke up my dad was still going to be friends with him!
6.gif

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 6:52:05 PM
Author: thing2of2

Date: 1/11/2010 5:32:40 PM
Author: vespergirl
emdgust.gif
They are always telling me how lucky I was to get him, and I''m like, ''Hello, I''m a catch too!''

emsmilep.gif

Ha, ditto the bolded part! My parents LOVE my husband and he and my dad are BFF, I swear! Sometimes my husband goes to my parents'' house (they live about an hour away) without me just to hang out with my dad. After my husband and I had been dating for about a year, my dad actually told my mom that if my husband and I ever broke up my dad was still going to be friends with him!
6.gif
And thritto the bolded part!
3.gif

They love him, DH loves them, they have a great relationship.

My relationship with his parents though... well, suffice to say, the dynamics there is a little different. lol

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s funny, thing2!
9.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
DH gets along with any and everybody. He is just one of those guys. But, my family especially loves him.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
My family adores DH and think he''s the best thing ever to come into my life. I have to agree! It wasn''t an easy road getting to this point, though. At first, they thought no one was good enough for me. Now, they see how incredible he is and are quite impressed with him.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 10:04:44 AM
Author: Laila619
That''s funny, thing2!
9.gif

I know! My mom was like "Yeah we''ll see how that goes over with thing2!" Let''s just say I don''t have a track record of being friendly with exes!
12.gif

My dad just LOVES my husband. It''s pretty adorable, really-I actually always tell my dad he''s in love with Mr. Thing, they''re boyfriends, etc.

Plus my dad used to always tell me "Be nice to Mr. Thing!" out of nowhere. I mean, I''m a little bit mean in general but it''s not like I mistreat the hubs!
33.gif
I guess my dad was afraid I''d drive his best friend away!
3.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
He feels the same way I do. He tolerates them. It is funny because the other day I needed to print a paper and our printer wasn''t working and he was willing to go to my parents house and I wasn''t, where I was willing to go to his parents house and he wasn''t. Is that dysfunctional?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results