shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you use a hair comb?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother has a couple of older hair combs that she's offered me. I'm not sure how to use or wear them. I have shoulder length, curly hair - not thin or thick. From what I can tell they are similar in style to this: hair comb. It loads very slowly for those on dial up.

Attachments

• haircombfromgran.jpg
    43 bytes · Views: 224

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
In order to get them to stay, I generally push them in toward the roots of my hair, if that makes sense. Teasing and spraying the hair before sliding them in can also help them grip. Some materials are more slippery than others, so if these seem to have a difficult time staying put, they may work better to just stick into an updo or whatever as an accent. They may grip better in your hair than they would in many people''s hair since yours is curly, so that''s an added bonus. I love hair combs--there''s something so Old World or Victorian or something about them that really appeals to me!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I''m practicing with a cheapy one I have here before getting my grandmother to sent hers. If I won''t wear it or like it then another grandchid should get a chance at it. I''ll try to put my cheapy one in again.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I love hair combs.

For starters I highly recommend placing them in an up-do. Even pony-tails.

Enjoy.

Date: 5/9/2009 9:27:44 AM
Author:Addy
My grandmother has a couple of older hair combs that she''s offered me. I''m not sure how to use or wear them. I have shoulder length, curly hair - not thin or thick. From what I can tell they are similar in style to this: hair comb. It loads very slowly for those on dial up.
2.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don't think anyone wears their hair today in styles that accommodate those large heavy combs. In Victorian times the ladies wore their very long hair up so there was a large amount of hair to anchor the comb to. And if they had thin hair they used hairpieces, extensions and buns made from their own loose collected hair. They also treated their hair with Vasoline, and other oily sticky concoctions and didn't wash it very often, maybe once a week or less. So the comb has a lot to hold on to. In other wards, keep the combs as an heirloom but don't expect that anyone today can wear these things very easily.

Your comb is a beautiful heirloom and a real treasure. You don't want it falling out and getting damaged.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I use combs a lot in formal stylings.

I usually either use a comb as an anchor (like at the base, side, or top of an updo).

Creating a base is going to give you the most security. Backcoming or teasing will do this easily. The insert the comb in the opposit direction you want it place, and as you''re sliding it into the hair rotate it into the correct direction. Example, if I''m placing in on the side of an updo, I would start with the comb horizontal to the hair. Going upwards with the comb, once it''s snug, I finally turn the teeth of the comb down to secure it.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I like to do a less formal version of this myself, and use the haircomb in the back for decoration.

sallys-updo.jpg

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I also like to do this w/ the hair combs that I have....

3224036_2.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all! I''m still practising! I found a couple of youtube videos so that''s been a help. I''ve managed with the cheapy comb but I''m not sure.

Swing, I going to follow your advice for now. I''ve asked my family to post the two combs that were offered. If I can wear them and have it look good, fine. If not, then I''ll hold onto them and consider them heirlooms.

Italia, thank you for the more graphic description. Your description is what finally got me there in the end. I''m not taking photos yet, I need more practice, but I feel I''m getting there!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results