shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you store your collection?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
How do you store your collection of unset gems?

I like to keep the original plastic boxes (with the clear top) because they often have something written on them from the vendor, and they are different sizes depending on the stone. Is there a tray out there that hold different sized boxes? I have seen trays with foam slots for 1 size box, but that will not work for me.

I found some trays here, and this company sells inserts separately. Does anyone have other recommendations?
http://www.kassoy.com/jewelry-trays/

-Preg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''ll get different opinions because some gem pots are not as suitable for less hardy stones than others. So long as you're careful however, storing in gem pots is a good idea. I tend to transfer them from the ones I get the stones in, to a standard size pot that goes into a larger container with a glass lids so all my gems are in one place. I then itemise each by placing a sticker under the pot and also (when I think about it), update an Excel spreadsheet with all details such as size, price paid, origin etc. I'm not as good as this now as I was years ago and do have a few pots that contain mystery stones! Mind you, that's half the fun of collecting.

Here's an example of what I use They also stack nicely and I've got 4 or 5 on top of each other and so far (touch wood) haven't chipped or broken anything. You can get black or white backgrounds. These are (for the most part) the same stones but against different backgrounds - you can see how different they look. The lids for the outer box aren't shown in the photo.

I agree with Lisa - you also need a great safe!

Loose Gemstone Collection1_1_1.jpg

Loose stones 1_1_1.JPG

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Large safe, off premises. Your mileage may vary :)

For most collectors though I'd recommend the glass top boxes from Nile, sold in packs of 50. They fit neatly into black cases and are suitable for most gem sizes.

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com
www.greengemfoundation.com

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, LD.

Thanks for the vendor name, Lisa. I love your work.

I finally accepted I was a collector of stones because my husband made me realize I focus more on the stone than the setting. I also wear little/no jewelry. I'm so glad to be in a forum like Pricescope with other collectors.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I use the same boxes as LD (I like the little glass lidded ones better but they're more expensive and harder to find over here).

For those little round pots I have found that a 1" hole puncher makes nice rounds of paper that are a perfect fit for the inside of the pot. That way I can write all the information I want on it and if necessary change it without having stickers that fall off or leave sticky all over the outside.

My boxes are then kept in an off-premises security deposit as it costs considerably less than my insurance premium would be to have them on my house insurance - and I wouldn't trust them to replace like with like!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have many and I like them assembled together in a rainbow, so I keep them in this glass-covered case which stays in a bank vault away from our home.

If you do this don't let them get to close to each other or they may be able to move and scratch each other when the box gets bumped.
Adding a folded up piece of paper under the foam insert also helps prevent them from moving.

box.png

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Pretty!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a side note as I don't recommend glass lid cases for soft soft gems. I recommend the plastic ones for those.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1308938775|2954151 said:
I don't have many and I like them assembled together in a rainbow, so I keep them in this glass-covered case which stays in a bank vault away from our home.

If you do this don't let them get to close to each other or they may be able to move and scratch each other when the box gets bumped.
Adding a folded up piece of paper under the foam insert also helps prevent them from moving.

That is a heavenly sight Kenny! :love:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I always have the last stone I cut in my pocket, in a gem jar. I like to live with it for a day before I have to part with it.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
PrecisionGem|1308968037|2954550 said:
I always have the last stone I cut in my pocket, in a gem jar. I like to live with it for a day before I have to part with it.

That's funny because I always have the last stone I bought in my pocket in a jar and the stone in my pocket right now is the kornerupine cut by you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results