shape
carat
color
clarity

How Do You Set the Price?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm about to sell some of my unset, precision cut stones and for those of you who sell loose stones, I'm wondering how you figure out how much to sell them for. I will be selling stones I purchased from some of the well known vendors (if I can ever get accurate photos taken) and don't really know how to set a price, or the best place to sell - ebay or DB. Some of these stones were above $500. Of course it would be great if I could maximize my sale proceeds, but I want them to sell and I'm a realist. What do you do - set at a certain percentage, offer a quantity discount?

And for that matter, have you had luck selling on DB?

TIA :wavey:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1323567646|3078869 said:
I'm about to sell some of my unset, precision cut stones and for those of you who sell loose stones, I'm wondering how you figure out how much to sell them for. I will be selling stones I purchased from some of the well known vendors (if I can ever get accurate photos taken) and don't really know how to set a price, or the best place to sell - ebay or DB. Some of these stones were above $500. Of course it would be great if I could maximize my sale proceeds, but I want them to sell and I'm a realist. What do you do - set at a certain percentage, offer a quantity discount?

And for that matter, have you had luck selling on DB?

TIA :wavey:
I typically post them for what I bought them for. Sometimes, if it's an odd (read: less desirable) stone (color, shape, size) I'll post it for less.
I've sold a lot on DB, and quite a bit here (via DB). I do not suggest ebay for precision cut stones.
You can look on DB and see what my policies are: http://diamondbistro.com/category/1...46/Barry-B-Pink-tourmaline-emerald-2+ct!.html
I figure if someone wants more than one stone, I'm even more open to negotiations on price.
Again, I've sold a LOT on DB, to the extent that I'm starting to run out of stones that I'm interested in selling. However, I have sold some at much less than what I've bought them for.

I'd be interested to see what you're wanting to sell MB!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Freke, thank you so much for your post :wavey:

You're the last person I thought would post but the exact person I wanted to post! Congratulations Baby Mama! :appl: How is it? How is she? When was she born? How much did she weigh? What is her name? How are you? How was the birth (like you're going to say: fun)? I mean as bad as you expected or better? I am really touched that you are responding, given that you must have so little time these days and be going on less sleep than usual...if you've said all of this somewhere else, point me in the direction. true confessions: I love babies even more than I love gemstones, but don't turn me in.

Oh and thanks for the counsel. I actually think part of it is the reputation of the person selling and I would imagine if anyone would command a premium (over what a typical DBer might sell something for) it would be you. But its good advice. My only concern is pricing them too high and having them sit around like a house that's been on the market too long.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's...tiring. She's good. Thriving. She's already gained a pound and grown almost 2 inches.

She was born 11/23/11 at 4:27am via emergency c-section. The entire birth story is in the Pregnant thread in FHH, but I don't remember what page!

She was 6 pounds 5 ounces, 18.75 inches long, and her name is Aralia Kelsey.

Birth was ok. I didn't really have any expectations, so that helped. Lets just say it was 21 hours that I'm not going to try to replicate any time soon!

Sleep IS a precious commodity these days, and I haven't been posting, barely even lurking to be honest! She doesn't really like me being on the computer, and it doesn't help that my laptop busted, so my time on the internet is really abbreviated right now.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
If you have anything pink, let me know. I am into wanting pink for some reason.

Freke,
Remind me that I need to get back to you. I just got a dreamy honey zircon fro Gene F. I LOVE the color, but I don't know where to begin to set it. I wanted to get back to you on a couple of your items too. I got sidetracked by a tempting purple amethyst.

Need more baby pics. :tongue:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Did you know DB has a section for selling purses? :naughty:

just kidding :D

I must be a little wacky, because I rarely sell anything for more than half of what I paid for it. I don't know if I'm bad at selling, or if I just get so tired of something that I can't stand to look at it anymore. Could be a little of both . . . :rolleyes:

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
50% off sounds good to me! :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results