shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you Secure/Protect your collections?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a bank safety deposit box.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bank safety deposit box as well but I have no opals or pearls to worry about.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Safety deposit box for most of my jewelry, which I don't wear (inherited). I have insurance for all my items, including those in the safety deposit box (at a steep discount). For the items in the safety deposit box, it allows me to take them out X times a year and still have them insured. I was thinking of dropping my insurance on the safety deposit box items the other day, and I realized the second I dropped that insurance, I would never take anything out and wear it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1364438439|3415042 said:
Safety deposit box for most of my jewelry, which I don't wear (inherited). I have insurance for all my items, including those in the safety deposit box (at a steep discount). For the items in the safety deposit box, it allows me to take them out X times a year and still have them insured. I was thinking of dropping my insurance on the safety deposit box items the other day, and I realized the second I dropped that insurance, I would never take anything out and wear it.

Wise move.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Wow this thread came back from no where. I agree a safety deposit box seems to be the best option. Unless I can find a 2000 lb safe that is built into the foundation of my house.... haha!

~Justin

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I want to marry LD too.

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep my jewelry in a safe. It's bolted to the wall. This way I get to take my jewelry out whenever I want. And I can give my black opal a drink when she is thirsty. :cheeky:
We are also in a very secure building with 24/7 round the clock doormen.

jewelrysafe.jpg

jewelrysafes.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I protected my collection of tiny FCDs by throwing them into my lawn.
I figure no crook would ever look in our grass, and even if they did they'd never find them.

:bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1364491186|3415369 said:
I protected my collection of tiny FCDs by throwing them into my lawn.
I figure no crook would ever look in our grass, and even if they did they'd never find them.

:bigsmile:

:lol: That's some pretty grass you must have there. :lickout:

But watch out for those cat burglars. They're very sneaky. :cheeky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDX7tevXO1E

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is hysterical! I wonder what Klepto plans on doing with his loot? :lol: :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Noes! Teh cat berghlres.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1318462579|3038896 said:
Put a small cheap safe in your bedroom closet, then put $50 cash in it, some papers and some cheap jewelry. Hide you good stuff someplace else in the house. If anyone breaks in they will take you cheap safe and leave.
Oh my goodness! What a great idea! Bait and switch for cat burglars! :appl:
Just an idea when you are insuring diamond stud earrings.. ask the company if you can insure only one of them. Nobody EVER loses both earrings! 8-)
I keep my baubles in a safely deposit box at the bank. I have always had a fantasy of how to secure a safe in my house so nobody can walk away with it. The next time we do work on our house and there is wet cement around, I would love to sink the back or bottom of a big safe in a hidden spot into a pile of cement. Nobody will be able to take that baby! :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene: I think of you now every time I can' t find something. Imagine me mentally shaking my fist at you, since I put my special pieces not away in their proper safe, but "specially hidden by me" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Umm, yeah, you got it, lost. Then I discover them eventually, but no burglar would ever find them thats' for sure.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Killer Rabbit of course. He bites.

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1364754954.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubies-R-Me|1364749137|3417396 said:
PrecisionGem|1318462579|3038896 said:
Put a small cheap safe in your bedroom closet, then put $50 cash in it, some papers and some cheap jewelry. Hide you good stuff someplace else in the house. If anyone breaks in they will take you cheap safe and leave.
Oh my goodness! What a great idea! Bait and switch for cat burglars! :appl:
Just an idea when you are insuring diamond stud earrings.. ask the company if you can insure only one of them. Nobody EVER loses both earrings! 8-)
I keep my baubles in a safely deposit box at the bank. I have always had a fantasy of how to secure a safe in my house so nobody can walk away with it. The next time we do work on our house and there is wet cement around, I would love to sink the back or bottom of a big safe in a hidden spot into a pile of cement. Nobody will be able to take that baby! :lol:

Ha ha, that's what I've started to do. I have one of those huge jewelry armoires that just screams "hey, come here to steal all the jewelry". So I only have smaller and cheaper stuff in there. We have a safe that is hidden in the house and an alarm system. We figure that with the alarm system a thief will go to the armoire and take the stuff from there and not have time to find the good stuff before the alarm goes off.

Love the "killer rabbit"!

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
I have a big jewelry armoire in the living room by the front door. It's filled with only papers and maybe a few music CD's.

I've had it over 13 years, and it's never made it upstairs to my bedroom.

It belonged to my grandmother so that's why I still have it. It's not expensive or sentimental. It's just where I store papers and the pool tags!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubies-R-Me|1364749137|3417396 said:
Just an idea when you are insuring diamond stud earrings.. ask the company if you can insure only one of them. Nobody EVER loses both earrings!

That is an excellent idea! And yes, having a safe is akin to an invitation that there's good stuff in there to steal, so having it as a decoy is a good idea too.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wouldn't like the idea of needing to go to a bank safe deposit box every time I wanted to wear some jewelry. By then I would never buy expensive jewelry, there are too many more useful things I would prefer to have.
Isn't the typical thief in your house for only a few minutes? They are mainly looking for cash in your top dresser drawer, prescription drugs in your medicine cabinet and then maybe some video games, or expensive stereo equipment.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1364844640|3418050 said:
I wouldn't like the idea of needing to go to a bank safe deposit box every time I wanted to wear some jewelry. By then I would never buy expensive jewelry, there are too many more useful things I would prefer to have.
Isn't the typical thief in your house for only a few minutes? They are mainly looking for cash in your top dresser drawer, prescription drugs in your medicine cabinet and then maybe some video games, or expensive stereo equipment.

I agree the whole safety deposit box is a pain. I love looking at stones and that means I have them out a lot! I want to figure out some kind of home safe option that is near impossible to steal. I have a feeling its going to be expensive to do but someday if I build a house I would love to have a safe build into it from the ground up.

~Justin

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

When my apt. was broken into about 14 years ago, the sheriff who did the investigation said that thieves are looking for quick grabs and would prefer cash; jewelry; guns; drugs and perhaps small expensive electronics that can be easily grabbed and easily unloaded.

It was obvious that they tossed through my drawers, looked between my mattresses and opened drawers in my office.

It was done by a druggie whose mom lived in my complex and he crashed often at her house. He knew I worked and knew my schedule. He would never have been caught if he wasn't stupid enough to try to buy a laptop at office depot with a credit card he found at the back of my desk drawer (yes, I know, I shouldn't have left it there).

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Justin_Cutter|1364846912|3418072 said:

I agree the whole safety deposit box is a pain. I love looking at stones and that means I have them out a lot! I want to figure out some kind of home safe option that is near impossible to steal. I have a feeling its going to be expensive to do but someday if I build a house I would love to have a safe build into it from the ground up.

~Justin

I agree about the safe deposit box being a PIA. IMHO, the best is a build-in safe in an un-obvious location if you are lucky enough to own your own home. Next best is a safe that is too large/heavy to be moved by two people and not easily accessible AND could only be broken into by an expert. The next is to bolt a large safe to the floor so the only way it can be removed is if you can get inside. We had a small safe in the closet that was bolted to the floor when we lived in a small rental in California. Fortunately the closet floors weren't nicely finished so it was easy to plug the holes when we moved.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't have a safety deposit box at the bank. My fiance says they are hard to get but I really have no idea. He is going to be purchasing a big gun safe that will be bolted in though and I can store things in that. Right now I just have them all out on a shelf, lol. Not the safest place ever.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My wife is much more worried about someone taking the dogs than any jewelry. Although after a day with Winston, I think any thief would return him.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1364853259|3418147 said:
My wife is much more worried about someone taking the dogs than any jewelry. Although after a day with Winston, I think any thief would return him.

Haha!!! That is so funny!

Ok I have figured out how to keep all my gems at my home without fear of someone breaking in and stealing them.

Step 1. Buy 3-5 acres of land.

Step 2. Build dream house.

Step 3. Erect a 15 foot fence around the property.

Step 4. Acquire animal handlers license.

Step 5. Purchase 2 Cheetah cubs.

Step 6. Once full grown and "trained" let said Cheetahs roam the land around the house.

Perhaps a little excessive? :Up_to_something:

Step 7. Electrify fence..... Ok now that's excessive..... :naughty:

Nothing says stay away from my gems like a giant cat that can jump over 10 feet and run over 70mph!
bad-cheetah-1440-900-6795.jpg
cheetah_post-1.jpg

~Justin

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a home alarm system and built in safe is sufficient. There is no 100% foolproof protection but that should be enough to deter thieves. Our alarm system at the beach house works pretty well (I know this because of our gardener mistakenly setting it off a couple of times LOL) and the police arrive within a few minutes of it going off. In the meantime a safe bolted to the wall or floor should be enough of a time suck to keep the criminals there till the police arrive.

Though I do like your cheetah idea Justin. :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bank is only 10 minutes from my house and is also open on Saturday with evening hours on some days, so it is convenient for me. Plus I live in a small town, so there's no traffic getting back and forth. The idea of a pair of cheetahs on my property is tempting though. They are one of my favourite big cats. :love:

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1364989017|3419181 said:
The bank is only 10 minutes from my house and is also open on Saturday with evening hours on some days, so it is convenient for me. Plus I live in a small town, so there's no traffic getting back and forth. The idea of a pair of cheetahs on my property is tempting though. They are one of my favourite big cats. :love:

That makes sense. If my bank was closer maybe it wouldn't feel so inconvenient. Seriously, Cheetahs are magnificent animals.

~Justin

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now if we could just train our cheetahs to run to the bank for us, then it would be perfect. :))

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1365059168|3419970 said:
Now if we could just train our cheetahs to run to the bank for us, then it would be perfect. :))

That would be so epic!!! I bet the bankers would just love us! Haha!
~Justin

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results