shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you score on this test?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so this was fun! Thank you! My 24 yo dd and I did this effortlessly. My 22 yo son and fit ~50 yo hubby couldn't. As I watched the video it seemed men had a harder time. Could agility be the key to this? Lots of laughs and bragging rights though! :dance:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wonder if women are in general able to do it easier? Don't we have a different center of gravity or something in our bodies? Mom used to do something w/a chair that I could do and my brother never could.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to die tomorrow I guess, I have a knee replacement and can't do it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crap. :knockout:
Who wants a pile of diamonds?

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol i didnt even try it..i know i cant do it :lol:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My broken-in-three pieces knee won't do it, who wants a pile of colored gemstones????

I got my FitBit ChargeHR yesterday, at least I can walk til I drop :lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was stupid to even try that. I have 3 different types of arthritis. It was too painful to even begin to lower myself. :((

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy sh!t... I am apparently already dead...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way I could do that without pushing up with 1 hand (9) when getting up. And I do yoga regularly : (

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:

Kenny,
None of the long-time experts here on PS have offered to care for your diamonds! :o
(Thank goodness! I've been silently waiting in the wings, holding my breath, because I'm just a Rough Rock.)

If you make me Guardian of your diamond pile, I promise to provide them with a loving and nurturing environment, regular outside activities and cleaning, and lots of positive attention.

I have a track record of being responsible and dependable.
My experience includes loving care of pets and children.
I can probably even get a written reference from my children (if I bribe them nicely). :angel:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can do it easily because I do pilates, yoga, and strength training regularly...at least on a non flare up day!!!!
soits a not exactly a great indicator of health IMO. Just means that you should probably practice more...lol

iLander

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1447615287|3949989 said:
Doctors say this is a quick/easy test for people 51-80 to give you an overall idea of your overall health and how likely you are to die. :/

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/02/12/sit-and-stand-test-said-to-predict-your-death/21142051/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing7%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D1498880802

(fast forward to about 1 minute for the actual test)

I'm actually within the age range, and I scored a 9. I used one hand to lightly nudge myself up.

When I was young, I used to do this easily, but because I am fairly thin, I never exercised. Without exercise, my muscles atrophied a TON after age 45. Because of this I developed knee and back problems. No strength, frequent muscle pulls, aches and pains. My DD, who is studying PT, gave me a series of exercises that are prescribed for "general weakness" , "knee strength" "balance" and "back pain". I've been doing them 3 times a week for almost a year. They are low stress, done at home, with minimal equipment, and I hope to keep them up for many years.

I now have impressive leg muscles, no back or knee pain, and great balance. When I started I could NEVER have done this test. Now I do it fairly well, but I can also do squats, carry heavy groceries up the stairs, have no arm flaps, a smaller stomach, and FEEL so much better. I've talked about this a lot here, but as someone that hated PE in school, I am pretty proud of myself. :praise:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1447773861|3950740 said:
I can do it easily because I do pilates, yoga, and strength training regularly...at least on a non flare up day!!!!
soits a not exactly a great indicator of health IMO. Just means that you should probably practice more...lol

I thought this too Arcadian - that with practice of the particular move most people could improve their score without necessarily being healthier in the way we normally think of health. But if we're counting strength and flexibility as part of overall health - like these doctors are - then they would be healthier, because being able to get up from the floor like that would mean they have increased both...even if if was just through practice of that move and nothing else.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1447774290|3950742 said:
Doctors say this is a quick/easy test for people 51-80 to give you an overall idea of your overall health and how likely you are to die. :/

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/02/12/sit-and-stand-test-said-to-predict-your-death/21142051/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing7%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D1498880802

(fast forward to about 1 minute for the actual test)

I'm actually within the age range, and I scored a 9. I used one hand to lightly nudge myself up.

When I was young, I used to do this easily, but because I am fairly thin, I never exercised. Without exercise, my muscles atrophied a TON after age 45. Because of this I developed knee and back problems. No strength, frequent muscle pulls, aches and pains. My DD, who is studying PT, gave me a series of exercises that are prescribed for "general weakness" , "knee strength" "balance" and "back pain". I've been doing them 3 times a week for almost a year. They are low stress, done at home, with minimal equipment, and I hope to keep them up for many years.

I now have impressive leg muscles, no back or knee pain, and great balance. When I started I could NEVER have done this test. Now I do it fairly well, but I can also do squats, carry heavy groceries up the stairs, have no arm flaps, a smaller stomach, and FEEL so much better. I've talked about this a lot here, but as someone that hated PE in school, I am pretty proud of myself. :praise:

That's awesome iLander, good for you!

I think about strength often now - particularly when I go to the supermarket for cat litter and wonder how anyone fragile could possibly carry a 25 lb box. :/

I've always been active (in phases, I do go through lazy phases) and have always loved the times when I'm fit/strong but I have newfound respect for muscles and strength now. They're not just about looks any more.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1447643263|3950120 said:

:lol:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1447619319|3950003 said:
I wonder if women are in general able to do it easier? Don't we have a different center of gravity or something in our bodies? Mom used to do something w/a chair that I could do and my brother never could.

Probably...

I scored a 9 though (need to use my hand even if slightly to push myself back up)

DH a perfect 10.

(and I knew he would...he's flexible, and fit...)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1447643263|3950120 said:
For me?...30 yrs ago!... :lol:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1447623614|3950025 said:

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
My friend was over yesterday so I asked her to do this test with me. She's a yoga instructor and couldn't believe how hard it was. :( We both had to use one hand so points off, but we had lots of laughs watching each other try to do it. :lol:

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

As phrased, this is funny - because we are all going to die, and that's not just likely but with certainty. ;-)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1447869461|3951352 said:

As phrased, this is funny - because we are all going to die, and that's not just likely but with certainty. ;-)

:lol:

You're right - that was me being lazy - I didn't want to reread the whole article/watch the video again so I left it vague.

I should have included this: (I was still too lazy to go to the original article, but found this:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2858804/Can-exercise-test-predict-DEATH-People-struggle-sitting-rising-test-five-times-likely-die.html

Struggling with 'sitting-rising test' means you're 5 times more likely to die early

-Patients who scored fewer than eight points, were twice as likely to die within the next six years, compared with people with more perfect scores.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results