shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you protect your couches?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying to find new covers/protectors for our couch so that our girl kittie doesn't continue to destroy it more with her scratching. So we need a protector to cover as much of the leather as possible.

These are the ones we're using now:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/100079-sure-fit-deluxe-pet-chocolate-brown-furniture-sofa-throw-cover.html

They are OK - but it's hard to get them to stay on so they look sloppy a lot (I'm wondering though - are these intended to be taken on and off? Because we've been leaving them on the whole time...it's kind of a pain to take them on and off every time you want to sit down).

Plus when they are bunched up my boy has started realizing "hey it's fabric!" and chewed a hole through it. :/

So we're thinking of replacing it with this:

http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=17,3242&T1=D10556+CHC+M

But I'm unsure about it...on one hand it has straps so it may help keep it in place easier. But the seating area measurement is much less than our current cover (26" versus 37") and on our couch 26" barely makes it a bit past the end of the seat cushion - so I'm not sure if that will bring its own set of issues when you're sitting on it (riding up, etc.).

It can be returned, so I know we can just try it, but I'm wondering if any of you use anything now that you like or works well, or have other websites I can look through for more choices.

Or maybe other ideas I'm not thinking of...but she scratches any leather that is exposed.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a particular place she scratches? I know back when I had kitties, one of them LOVED to scratch the back corners. Even through a cover he would still. What we eventually ended up doing was using those flexible plastic cutting boards and putting them inside the cover. It was much less satisfying and he stopped. We just had regular fabric covers (ugly AF) that cover the entire sofa, and then washed them (at least) once a week. This was when I had 3 cats and 2 dogs :???:

If your kitty is pretty lazy, I think that (what you posted) will work. But it would still leave a lot exposed in other areas (front, sides, etc). So if it's ONLY the cushions she scratches and no where else, then go for it. That looks like it's more to protect against hair getting into the fabric rather than scratchers though.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1449524005|3958693 said:
Is there a particular place she scratches? I know back when I had kitties, one of them LOVED to scratch the back corners. Even through a cover he would still. What we eventually ended up doing was using those flexible plastic cutting boards and putting them inside the cover. It was much less satisfying and he stopped. We just had regular fabric covers (ugly AF) that cover the entire sofa, and then washed them (at least) once a week. This was when I had 3 cats and 2 dogs :???:

If your kitty is pretty lazy, I think that (what you posted) will work. But it would still leave a lot exposed in other areas (front, sides, etc). So if it's ONLY the cushions she scratches and no where else, then go for it. That looks like it's more to protect against hair getting into the fabric rather than scratchers though.

She scratches everything except for the actual sitting area, I don't think I've ever observed her doing that - and the front of the couch, only because it's probably too low (we have a low profile couch so she couldn't stretch up enough to be enjoyable) but everything else - the back, the sides, the arms, she scratches...

I see what you're saying though - it does leave some exposed areas...I just know we can't leave it without anything. This one at least may stay put better.

But yeah...doesn't cover the whole thing completely. :???:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does your cat have a scratching post that it likes to use? My cats loved to scratch up the back corners of couches. Before buying my latest sofa, for which I chose microfiber because it's known to be fairly durable, I invested in a scratching post from purrfectpost.com. They are designed by a veterinarian. The website explains what cats want to scratch - something tall, sturdy and with material they can really sink their claws into. It turns out that a couch corner does this better than a run of the mill scratching post!

Anyway- these are expensive posts but so worth it for my cats! My Maine Coon, the most incorrigible scratcher them all, absolutely loves it. This cat ignored all attempts to get her use a scratching post. She's indoor/outdoor and would come inside to scratch up the couch rather than a nearby tree (like my other cats). Now she uses this post (I got the standard Purrfect Post) all day long. I've had it for two years and it still has plenty of sisal on it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am lucky in that both the cat and the dog do not scratch or chew indoors.

DK :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe my eyesight must be failing.
I read the subject line as, "How do you protect your crotches?"

screen_shot_2015-12-07_at_5.png

lulu

Ideal_Rock
A couple of ideas-there's a product called Sticky Paws that is essentially double sided tape so when they scratch they get kind of gummed up in the stuff and they'll leave it alone. Also taping aluminum foil to the vulnerable spots will deter them. Hopefully once the habit is broken you can remove it.
They do need a place to scratch and I recommend the one they sell at petco. It's the Smart Cat Ultimate Scratching Post. When she scratches on the sofa pick her up and put her by the post. Rubbing a little catnip on it will help.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria D|1449529533|3958749 said:
Does your cat have a scratching post that it likes to use? My cats loved to scratch up the back corners of couches. Before buying my latest sofa, for which I chose microfiber because it's known to be fairly durable, I invested in a scratching post from purrfectpost.com. They are designed by a veterinarian. The website explains what cats want to scratch - something tall, sturdy and with material they can really sink their claws into. It turns out that a couch corner does this better than a run of the mill scratching post!

Anyway- these are expensive posts but so worth it for my cats! My Maine Coon, the most incorrigible scratcher them all, absolutely loves it. This cat ignored all attempts to get her use a scratching post. She's indoor/outdoor and would come inside to scratch up the couch rather than a nearby tree (like my other cats). Now she uses this post (I got the standard Purrfect Post) all day long. I've had it for two years and it still has plenty of sisal on it.

I have this!

Just replaced the post a month or two ago, after many years...

It's the only post I'd buy, unless I ran into something just as sturdy and tall but more attractive (would LOVE to find one in bamboo).

I have a feeling that what might help is putting an extra one in the living room (right now it's in a bedroom) next to the couch or near the couch. The problem is getting DH to agree to do that. It's not like I want a scratching post in the middle of my living room either, but...

Another thing I did is put a rug under the table next to the couch - which she'll scratch and lay on - but doesn't do enough to keep her away from wanting to scratch the couch...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1449530448|3958753 said:
I am lucky in that both the cat and the dog do not scratch or chew indoors.

DK :))

You are very very lucky.

And kenny, you're silly ::)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lulu|1449531889|3958761 said:
A couple of ideas-there's a product called Sticky Paws that is essentially double sided tape so when they scratch they get kind of gummed up in the stuff and they'll leave it alone. Also taping aluminum foil to the vulnerable spots will deter them. Hopefully once the habit is broken you can remove it.
They do need a place to scratch and I recommend the one they sell at petco. It's the Smart Cat Ultimate Scratching Post. When she scratches on the sofa pick her up and put her by the post. Rubbing a little catnip on it will help.

We actually placed blue painters tape on the couch to discourage her - but as you can probably guess it looked hideous so we didn't do it long enough.

I am kind of so mad at ourselves for not acting sooner when we saw she was scratching.

I need to convince DH that we need a scratching post in the living room by the couch. :???:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks momhappy, I had seen that before but stayed away for that reason.

But yeah...we may have to do that. :/

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Ha! Funny you should ask. Our leather sectional is covered in blankets where Tinkerbell likes to sit/scratch (on the top/back of the chaise part and the half of the sofa part on that corner). On top of the blankets over the top/back she has special "Tinkie pads" that she sits on and at the foot of the chaise we have another blanket with a "Tinkie circle" (fuzzy pet bed) on top. Yes, she's spoiled. We do remove the blankets when we have company because she's usually out socializing anyway.

Sorry, I'm not much help.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have pretty much the same setup...

A cover, plus on one side of the couch, a round bed for her...and a cushiony pad on the loveseat.

If we had protected the couch before she destroyed it, we would have been able to do what you do - simply remove the covers when company comes over. But it looks pretty terrible now.

It's funny - I would have never allowed that to happen a few years ago. I've gotten a bit lazy. And now I'm paying the price.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
As others have alluded, I think in the long run it's better to address this behaviorally rather than just buying covers that you're not crazy about. My cat LOVES these: http://www.petco.com/product/127793/You-And-Me-Double-Wide-Cat-Scratcher.aspx

They are so cheap and come with some catnip you can sprinkle on to encourage them to scratch there. When I got my cat, he was 4 years old and I didn't know anything about his habits so I got them as a preventative tool. He uses them at least 30 times a day (not exaggerating). Whenever he gets worked up he goes straight for the cardboard, lets out steam, then he's good. I've also given him pieces of tuna after scratching it. Scratch here - GOOD!

I have mixed feelings about putting the scratcher right by the couch. You may want to start that way, but I'd work toward rewarding scratching the post and moving it as far away from the couch as you can to communicate that scratching happens nowhere near the couch.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1449621320|3959166 said:
As others have alluded, I think in the long run it's better to address this behaviorally rather than just buying covers that you're not crazy about. My cat LOVES these: http://www.petco.com/product/127793/You-And-Me-Double-Wide-Cat-Scratcher.aspx

They are so cheap and come with some catnip you can sprinkle on to encourage them to scratch there. When I got my cat, he was 4 years old and I didn't know anything about his habits so I got them as a preventative tool. He uses them at least 30 times a day (not exaggerating). Whenever he gets worked up he goes straight for the cardboard, lets out steam, then he's good. I've also given him pieces of tuna after scratching it. Scratch here - GOOD!

I have mixed feelings about putting the scratcher right by the couch. You may want to start that way, but I'd work toward rewarding scratching the post and moving it as far away from the couch as you can to communicate that scratching happens nowhere near the couch.

Thanks sonny - I used to get those boards all the time - but never got them for her. ETA: I really should get a few. Wish they made them in bamboo also - not enough attractive pet/cat items out there. So frustrating.

We praise them immediately when they scratch on the post or any other acceptable surface...but I love your idea of stepping it up a notch and actually rewarding with food.

And I really do believe we caused the behavior by not addressing it immediately - it was a little bit a combination of "she's so cute" "oh she's so funny" and since it was a couch we've had for a long time...well...we were lazy. Really s*cks because it was a nice couch and was in perfect shape. The silver lining in all this is that we won't make the same mistake when we get a new couch - so we learned.

I see your point about eventually moving all scratching materials far away from the couch - makes sense.

There are some wall scratchers that are fairly attractive that I'm thinking of trying too. Will have to show DH and see what he thinks.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shoot, I have bought a couch basically every 2 years because I inevitably get the color wrong, the proportions wrong, the seat depth and firmness wrong, ETC!!! :angryfire: I need an actual decorator or Calliecake to handle my decorating!!

So I haven't had one couch long enough to see wear. I have the two Westies, Finn and Miss Maggie, and they love the leather furniture although they tend to shift around on it due to getting warm as you recline to watch the world revolve around you :lol: They do like to "dig" before they sit down and I just buy the quality leather and I've never had a puncture. OTH, Maggie ruined about every antique I have during her teething phase, followed by the middle-of-the-night-only teething phase. :roll:

I would not advise you to put any kind of treatments on your couch, those chemicals are horrifying, just like all the fire retardant chemicals that are serious serious carcinogens and endocrine disruptors and are illegal in Europe for those reasons (hello powerful US chemical lobby). Just try buying a bed with none of that *#%& in it. Pretty damn tough, you have to buy latex. I digressed, CJ, sorry!!!!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's my new contact lenses and having tired eyes, but I keep reading the subject line of this thread as "How to Protect your Crotches"!!! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results